Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 03:19 PM

134 posts, read 385,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scongress1234 View Post
Twange, the funniest thing up north, is when teen-age girls call out to other girls, "Hey you guys", and it sounds plausible. You don't even think of the gender connotations..it just sounds normal to them, and anyone within earshot.......

Per the y'all, I started saying it in about 6 months...when I came back to visit in Chicago, I had to try hard NOT to say it......i just like how I sound more
with the southern cadences and all...it just suits me a bit more.....so I guess I just took to it.
Well I also have the nasty habit of calling girls "dudes" and even up north here, once in a while, a girl will be like "Im not a dude ... dude." lol.

Still wondering if anyone knows of any nightspot with hip hop or house music... and how are the jobs? If I made a habit to apply to 20-30 jobs a day and wasn't too picky in the beginning, would I be able to get a job within 3 weeks?

Thanks for all your help guys...oooooops I mean thanks for all your help "Y'ALL" lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 03:31 PM

746 posts, read 3,729,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack wild View Post
Well I also have the nasty habit of calling girls "dudes" and even up north here, once in a while, a girl will be like "Im not a dude ... dude." lol.

Still wondering if anyone knows of any nightspot with hip hop or house music... and how are the jobs? If I made a habit to apply to 20-30 jobs a day and wasn't too picky in the beginning, would I be able to get a job within 3 weeks?

Thanks for all your help guys...
If you applied to 20-30 jobs a day, you would get a job in a week or less, if , as you mentioned, you are looking for relatively unskilled and low-paying service jobs, that pay 9-13 dollars an hour.

People looking for something 40-60 K a year might expect to look for 1-2 months, unless they are transferring....

Keep in mind that those jobs are dead-end, but, if you are just looking to burn off a few years of life living the Austin lifestyle, and don't plan on building a strong career for yourself, and you are good with pretty much making 25-35K as long as you live in Austin, you should be okay.......
many people in Austin are like that. I have a buddy that rents an efficiency in south austin for 400 a month, and has had dead-end jobs for the 30 years he's been in austin...hes a very cool old hippie I met in a backyard party in south austin.......so you won't be the only one...I would say that at least 30-35% of the folks in austin are like that. Its one of the few cities that encourages that, actually....a very primo slacker place, possibly the best......but the majority are not like that, and there are many extremely hard working independent contractors and small businessmen/women, and more than a few corporate folks.....again, Austin has a large slacker subset, and many of the musicians and hospitality folks are part of the same.....work all night, sleep all day, drink and get stoned at will...not a bad life, actually...

Old 06-11-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
If you applied to 20-30 jobs a day, you would get a job in a week or less, if , as you mentioned, you are looking for relatively unskilled and low-paying service jobs, that pay 9-13 dollars an hour.

People looking for something 40-60 K a year might expect to look for 1-2 months, unless they are transferring....

Keep in mind that those jobs are dead-end, but, if you are just looking to burn off a few years of life living the Austin lifestyle, and don't plan on building a strong career for yourself, and you are good with pretty much making 25-35K as long as you live in Austin, you should be okay.......
many people in Austin are like that. I have a buddy that rents an efficiency in south austin for 400 a month, and has had dead-end jobs for the 30 years he's been in austin...hes a very cool old hippie I met in a backyard party in south austin.......so you won't be the only one...I would say that at least 30-35% of the folks in austin are like that. Its one of the few cities that encourages that, actually....a very primo slacker place, possibly the best......but the majority are not like that, and there are many extremely hard working independent contractors and small businessmen/women, and more than a few corporate folks.....again, Austin has a large slacker subset, and many of the musicians and hospitality folks are part of the same.....work all night, sleep all day, drink and get stoned at will...not a bad life, actually...
Man that sounds really cool. It sounds like it kind of has a tourist island feel like Martha's Vinyard or Pirate or any of the other seasonal islands around the country or Florida's Daytona area. I actually have a BA in business and while I don't know what I want to do with my life yet I do know that I want to do something better. Going back to school for a quick education in a specific career that gives me the option to make around 40-50 grand a year is something that totally interests me as I am sick of just getting by financially. Of course I also have passions that are more creative and less ordinary but that I suppose I would have to pursue on the side.

I am kind of looking for an adventure/experience with the possibility for more than that if I like the area and want to stay longterm. I don't see the point in going far away from home just to check a place out for a week or so because that money can be used to relocate!! If I don't like the place I can always work my ass off and leave with the same money I came with! If I can get a job between 9-13 an hour and find some people who want to share rent and rent out a room then I should be fine. I've done this before but it was on a seasonal island. How is the job market in say January as opposed to say -- right now???

Old 06-11-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Man that sounds really cool. It sounds like it kind of has a tourist island feel like Martha's Vinyard or Pirate or any of the other seasonal islands around the country or Florida's Daytona area. I actually have a BA in business and while I don't know what I want to do with my life yet I do know that I want to do something better. Going back to school for a quick education in a specific career that gives me the option to make around 40-50 grand a year is something that totally interests me as I am sick of just getting by financially. Of course I also have passions that are more creative and less ordinary but that I suppose I would have to pursue on the side.

I am kind of looking for an adventure/experience with the possibility for more than that if I like the area and want to stay longterm. I don't see the point in going far away from home just to check a place out for a week or so because that money can be used to relocate!! If I don't like the place I can always work my ass off and leave with the same money I came with! If I can get a job between 9-13 an hour and find some people who want to share rent and rent out a room then I should be fine. I've done this before but it was during a season time on an island. How is the job market in say January as opposed to say -- right now???

Its a little tighter in the early summer, as most UT'ers stay in the city, and are willing to take anything to get by and hang out/party for 3 months, without the "burden" of classes......after say mid-june, like now, it gets back to normal again...by the end of the summer, all those jobs are open, as they have gone back to school....

My advice? Just come out now. I never saw the city before I moved there, sight unseen...I admitit wasn't exactly what I thought. First, I came into Round Rock, south on I-35, and thought it was austin, thinking, 'Oh man, franchise-city!". then I realized i was in dell country. I then got off an exit, and was in this awful ghetto. Finally made it to my hotel DT. Stayed there for a week looking for a place. Found one on craigs list. A singapore couple had 3 months left on a sublease for a huge 2-bed apt in the far NW, off Mcneil, called Quarry Oaks.....had a blast there while job searching....a pool like a resort, HEB walking distance across the street, very active complex with free pizza parties in the lobby....and then I found a place that rented little houses in south austin for 600 a month, including utilities, which is where I am now..they used to be army housing in the 40's, and now its an artist community...they say SRV lived there, and wrote "pride and joy" at the kitchen table, but I think they may be fabricating it, but who knows? never saw his ghost yet, anyway....always waiting to hear creepy guitar chords when I'm sleeping there. So, yeah, just come out and find something now......just be careful when you see two guys renting a place, because I tried that and it turned out to be two gay guys, so I found another place....it can get weird whe you don't know roomies, but if they are freaks you can always get another place.
Good luck..

Old 06-11-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Its a little tighter in the early summer, as most UT'ers stay in the city, and are willing to take anything to get by and hang out/party for 3 months, without the "burden" of classes......after say mid-june, like now, it gets back to normal again...by the end of the summer, all those jobs are open, as they have gone back to school....

My advice? Just come out now. I never saw the city before I moved there, sight unseen...I admitit wasn't exactly what I thought. First, I came into Round Rock, south on I-35, and thought it was austin, thinking, 'Oh man, franchise-city!". then I realized i was in dell country. I then got off an exit, and was in this awful ghetto. Finally made it to my hotel DT. Stayed there for a week looking for a place. Found one on craigs list. A singapore couple had 3 months left on a sublease for a huge 2-bed apt in the far NW, off Mcneil, called Quarry Oaks.....had a blast there while job searching....a pool like a resort, HEB walking distance across the street, very active complex with free pizza parties in the lobby....and then I found a place that rented little houses in south austin for 600 a month, including utilities, which is where I am now..they used to be army housing in the 40's, and now its an artist community...they say SRV lived there, and wrote "pride and joy" at the kitchen table, but I think they may be fabricating it, but who knows? never saw his ghost yet, anyway....always waiting to hear creepy guitar chords when I'm sleeping there. So, yeah, just come out and find something now......just be careful when you see two guys renting a place, because I tried that and it turned out to be two gay guys, so I found another place....it can get weird whe you don't know roomies, but if they are freaks you can always get another place.
Good luck..
HAHA -- gay roomates and ghost chords -- an authentic Austin experience. lol. Sounds like you had a wild adventure. I definately do my research with the roomate thing, have done it many times before so I am a veteran with that. Thing is that I "can't" go ANYWHERE until AT LEAST January. Sounds like the job market is best at the end of the summer but January isn't all that bad for jobs is it? Im just trying to figure out so I leave at the best possible time and the earliest I can get out of here is probably January.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
HAHA -- gay roomates and ghost chords -- an authentic Austin experience. lol. Sounds like you had a wild adventure. I definately do my research with the roomate thing, have done it many times before so I am a veteran with that. Thing is that I "can't" go ANYWHERE until AT LEAST January. Sounds like the job market is best at the end of the summer but January isn't all that bad for jobs is it? Im just trying to figure out so I leave at the best possible time and the earliest I can get out of here is probably January.
That would be the best, as that is the time the least number of new people are moving into the city.....

Per wild adventure, I've had worse....I rented this place once in indianapolis that had these weird worm-like bugs, that would change shape and turn into circles when you probed them. They were all over the floor, and the landlord said that it was from all the pizza the old tenants left sitting in the room. Then I walked into the other part of the duplex to change the thermostat, and they had some altar where they were worshipping god knows what, with newspaper clippings about someone's murdered brother, I kid you not....maybe they were worshipping his spirit. I lasted about 2 weeks in that place, and this was long before Craig's list.....

Oh, and I was in Anchorage for a year, and if you want to find/live with freaks, thats the holy grail. By far the weirdest people on earth.....My Landlord was this huge, strapping Lez, and she threw me out of the complex once, and tossed my stuff out the door....this was when I first moved there. I remember the taxidriver who picked me up saying, "Well, welcome to Anchorage.....yes it is weird here. Want a cracker?".....and it got worse the rest of that year.....
one time I walked in my apartment and this drunk native american indian was sitting in my chair in the frontroom....he was so wasted he thought it was his place, and lived n the other floor...at least I didn't find him in my bed.....if you want to see drunks, I mean hard core drunks, check out alaska.....

Another weird place I've lived in......Key West....I always wanted to try it for a year or so, just to see what it was like.......I woke up one morning and the roomies Parrot was walking around my bed, eating the goldfish crackers I had the night before. Now that was surreral.......he was a mean little bastard too.
Parrots are essentially attention whores, and cockatoos are even worse....pay no attention, and they show off and act up until they get it.....and they do bite.....they do look cool walking around bars on your shoulder, but the bastards are way high maintenance.....and Key West had even more drunks than alaska......every bar in Key West has the same handful of homeless drunks that try to mooch beer off the tourists, and get shagged out, usually at the same time each night(and day)......and we were at a backyard party at a locals house when these two mean, large lesbians got into the nastiest fight......
oine cheated on the other, and it was a riot.....beer bottles flew everywhere......and they had this guy(he's still there) called the golden guy, who rides his bike
painted in gold, like a statue.....and I didn't mention the roosters that hang around all the street corners. Kew West is the only place where you can see a rooster walk past you at 3 in the morning, and not bat an eye....

So, no, Austin was not my biggest adventure by far.....this is tame as can be...Austin is a very mellow city, and I could use it at this stage of the game...
nice, safe, mellow, peaceful.....predictable..not like the other places...

Last edited by scongress1234; 06-11-2008 at 05:20 PM..

Old 06-11-2008, 06:21 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,383,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I know quite a few who make liberal use of "fixin' to" and put "fixins" on the baked potato .
I've heard this many times while in Austin ...."I'm fixing to get my picture made" ...the first time I heard this I had no idea what the person was saying until someone explained she was getting her picture taken! And countless times I heard "I'm fixin to do this or that". I LOVE it!!

Old 06-11-2008, 06:24 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,383,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
I agree. It sure beats the hell out of you'ns, which all of my relatives from P.A. use. Being a Great-Laker myself, "you guys" is branded into my cerebral cortex(not to be confused with the NJ "yous guys")
I am guilty of saying you'ns and I hate it as soon as it comes out of my mouth I have been trying to conciously say y'all -- I like the sound of it better!

Old 06-11-2008, 06:46 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,296,516 times
I never got into the "fixin' to" thing... it just makes no sense to me.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:29 PM

15 posts, read 41,744 times
As far as the bar scene, you should not have any difficulty finding a bartending job. I am not sure if you have heard of 6th street, but it is lined with bars. Look it up...
6th street austin, texas

Haha...we don't just listen to country music in Texas. There are tons of bars and clubs that play hip hop music. That is the only music I enjoy dancing to... "booty music." Austin is full of cool local bands as well trying to make it in the music industry.

By the way, I have lived in the Houston area growing up, then moved for grad school in the San Marcos area (which is between San Antonio and Austin). Austin is by far the coolest city! I am moving to Dallas in August for a job, and although Dallas is pretty cool too (awesome for business execs.), I know I will miss Austin.

Another good thing about Austin is being close to the river...have you ever heard of floating the river? People make a day trip with their tubes and ice chest full of beer, and float down the river with their buddies for 4 hours. Talk about awesome!
Rockin' R River Rides - New Braunfels, TX

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin