Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2008, 05:12 PM

14 posts, read 37,162 times

Advertisements

Our Home Insurance is asking what type or classification of roofing we have. She says if it falls under Class 3 or 4 then we may avail of another 20% discount from our Insurance
So I asked my builder. Unfortunately his reply was that he doesnt know the class but he knows they are composite asphalt shingles and further adds that nobody has ever asked him that question in the 10 years he has been a builder.

Was my builder playing dumb? Did he really know what a class roof is? Was it because he just didn't use one because they are a little bit more expensive? Isnt it the classification system is a Texas Law and has been in effect since 1999?

So he is required by law to provide us with one if our roof qualifies.. I was told by one member here that to ask for one shingle, on the back of every shingle manufactured in TX is it's classification number.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 07:23 PM

485 posts, read 1,958,702 times
What he's telling you is C R A P. They should have all the paperwork that shows what they purchased and delivered for your house. Tell them to go look it up and tell you the mfr and the style and color, etc. and from there you can figure out if the shingles meet your insurance needs by going to the mfr's website.

Builders don't want to be bothered...with anything, including customers. I'd push for the info.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:43 PM

283 posts, read 1,281,544 times
Your builder (through the roofing subcontractor if he used one) surely should have made some effort to at least provide you with the specific brand and type of shingles used. From that you could determine if he used "hail-resistant" shingles or not and that would mean Class 4, the best. The 3rd web site below shows a form that either the builder or the roofing subcontractor should have provided you if the builder did his job right. The other 2 web sites provide info you might find helpful. Now, after looking at my insurance coverage and seeing absolutely nothing regarding my roof shingles class, am going to contact my agent and get some answers as to any discounts I might have coming. If I were you, I'd make a copy of that form (see site 3 below) and show it to your builder and ask to have it completed. Good luck.

Let it Hail, Let it Hail, Let it Hail!

Roofing that Qualifies for Impact-Resistant Roof Discounts from the Texas Department of Insurance

http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/forms/pcp...roofinstal.pdf

Old 12-03-2008, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 6,844 times
First of all its not a 1, 2, 3, or 4 class. Roof classification goes A, B, C, Non-Rated. I am assuming they are meaning roof covering. An actual roof classification deals with how the roof is constructed including the covering. But A being a roof such as steel or concrete. Class B roof is something like a composition or tar and gravel roof. Class C is Manufacutred wood shingles, not good, will still burn. And Non-Rated is what it is, non-rated usually rough cut shingles made of wood and no retardant on it for fire prevention/ember intrusion. Hope that helps, let me know if not.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:13 PM

27 posts, read 114,280 times
This is not an excuse, but...

If he's a superintendent working for a company, lots of the work that is subcontracted is done turn-key. This does not expose your "builder" to many details that are related to buying materials.

Also, since the purchasing department issues the P.O.'s for all suppliers (and with some builders, all labor too) the "builder" never deals with selection of materials.

I learned about roof classifications on my first custom away from the production builder I was working for (for 8 years)!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin