Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 12:40 PM

106 posts, read 307,174 times

Advertisements

What I actually enjoy is that I live near Parmer and Metric and often when I see this kind of idiotic behaviour there is a cop nearby and it is very satisfying when they turn their lights on and pull the morons over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 12:45 PM

786 posts, read 2,761,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta empress View Post
What I actually enjoy is that I live near Parmer and Metric and often when I see this kind of idiotic behaviour there is a cop nearby and it is very satisfying when they turn their lights on and pull the morons over.
You gotta love it when there's a cop in the right place at the right time.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:43 PM

739 posts, read 3,056,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceshots View Post

Overall I find Austin drivers to be quite well behaved. In Toronto our biggest problem is "shoulder jumpers". That is peple who decide that the shoulder of the road is their private lane and, in heavy traffic, will use it for 20 - 100 yards after a merging lane has run out. They also have the habit of jumping from the right hand lane to an on ramp just so they can drive up the ramp and then on the shoulder to pass a number of people.

Makes you wonder which cracker jack box they got their licence from.
Here in San Diego when people try that BS I REFUSE to let them in. I'd rather get in an accident then let them in. And I am usually throwing some profanity at them at the same time. I need to be careful since Texas has a lot more guns per person (I would think) than here.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:28 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times
Quote:
WHAT gives a middle aged person the right to drive like an idiot and then flip someone off.
Because we've paid our dues and you're not supposed to pass on the right.

Just kidding of course ... partly.

As a matter of habit, I never pass anyone on the right, especially even in a right exit lane or a merging entrance lane (to the left in that case) because you never know when someone will decide to cut over or not see you.

Sounds like what the lady thinks you may have done is something I too find obnoxious when people actually do do it.

That is, for example, when someone behind me on the entrance/exit ramp to/from Mopac comes swinging around to my left/right, trying to get around me before I've even have a change to merge/exit in myself. I'm in front, wait for me.

It's best to just go with the flow, whether it's fast or slow. Be nice to other drives. You get better gas mileage that way too. That said, I think your lady friend over reacted and was rude.

Steve

Old 07-24-2008, 02:29 PM

12 posts, read 40,252 times
This made me laugh. Nicest people outside of a car, but get in a car and some people here can turn into real inconsiderate a-holes The other day I was pulling from a parking lot onto the street, there was a truck a good 200 yards from me coming down the road. So I pull out, drive 20 yards to the stop light and stop behind a car at a red light. This truck comes up behind blaring their horn and giving me the finger. At this point, I'm stopped, have been stopped for a couple of seconds. I turn around look at her and point at the red light. She tried to tailgate me to the next light. So I brake checked her, she backed off.

Why do so many people tailgate here? I'm going to start brake checking people that do. In California flashing your brake lights at someone conveyed back off, that carry the same message here? As bad as a rap as California drivers get, I've experienced more inconsiderate and dangerous drivers here. Then again though on California freeways in the afternoon it's hard to stupid when you can only go 10 mph hehe. Now when I was riding my motorcycle, people in Cali tried to kill me on a daily basis (left turns in front of me, merging without looking, etc), but I think people not looking for motorcycles is a nationwide thing. Had to learn to ride extremely aggressive.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:34 PM

12 posts, read 40,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaxs View Post
Here in San Diego when people try that BS I REFUSE to let them in. I'd rather get in an accident then let them in. And I am usually throwing some profanity at them at the same time. I need to be careful since Texas has a lot more guns per person (I would think) than here.
I use to do that all the time. I hate people that would use the exit lanes to try and bypass traffic on the 15, especially near the miramar exits.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:04 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,015,912 times
The superpower I wish for more than anything is the ability to point at an offending car and make its engine blow up. You can keep flying and x-ray vision.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:10 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaxs View Post
It was not a question of letting anyone in the lady had a 1/4 mile of open exit lane in front of her and two car lengths behind her until the end when thinking she would stay on the expressway I moved closer.

And yes I wish there had been a cop there, but I have little faith anything would have happened

Old 07-24-2008, 05:09 PM

106 posts, read 307,174 times
I wish I had an undentable car- since I only have a little Sentra I have to drive defensively to ensure I don't get cleaned up by the crazies who refuse to signal and like to cut in front of me.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:10 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Because we've paid our dues and you're not supposed to pass on the right.

Just kidding of course ... partly.

As a matter of habit, I never pass anyone on the right, especially even in a right exit lane or a merging entrance lane (to the left in that case) because you never know when someone will decide to cut over or not see you.

Sounds like what the lady thinks you may have done is something I too find obnoxious when people actually do do it.

That is, for example, when someone behind me on the entrance/exit ramp to/from Mopac comes swinging around to my left/right, trying to get around me before I've even have a change to merge/exit in myself. I'm in front, wait for me.

It's best to just go with the flow, whether it's fast or slow. Be nice to other drives. You get better gas mileage that way too. That said, I think your lady friend over reacted and was rude.

Steve
I think she reacted to the perception that maybe I thought she did not own that part of the road .
That said next time I see that SUV...(conveniently plated for my memory) she'll might have reason to react .
Again, all I would like for folks to do, is to use their turn signal and not waive the bird at me when I am giving you space
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin