Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2008, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 8,673 times

Advertisements

We are considering buying a home on the north end of Highland, near 183 and Guadalupe. How safe is this area? (break ins, etc.) We currently live in Windsor Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 09:59 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,098,988 times
For that kind of detail, try the neighborhood association, they would be able to give you better answers. I know that last year Hyde Park had a spate of break-ins but it seems to have slowed down.

Highland Neighborhood Association - Austin, TX

Old 07-24-2008, 10:54 AM

979 posts, read 2,955,008 times
Not sure on the overall safety, but you can research the actual crime reports & sex offender info near Highland:

http://www.blockside.com/neighborhoods/highland-austin-tx/crimes (broken link)

Old 08-27-2008, 05:21 PM

4 posts, read 22,264 times
There is massive crime in Highland/St. Johns but it's not this silly break-in crap unless there's a rape involved. Our crime is more like murders, prostitution, and people making kitchen meth. If I had children, I wouldn't dream of living here. I don't feel safe here. I HIGHLY suggest you do not move to Highland, St. Johns or anywhere north of 183 until you get into the goody-goody Metric area. Even the homeless people up here are mean. You best stay where the only thing you have to worry about is people tagging your house.

Last edited by Texanette; 08-27-2008 at 05:43 PM..

Old 08-27-2008, 05:24 PM

4 posts, read 22,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
For that kind of detail, try the neighborhood association, they would be able to give you better answers. I know that last year Hyde Park had a spate of break-ins but it seems to have slowed down.

[URL="http://www.highlandneighborhood.com/"]Highland Neighborhood Association - Austin, TX[/URL]
YEAH RIGHT! Like the NA is going to tell you that people are run over monthly trying to cross the street when some drunk from the strip club decides he's had enough but is ok to drive.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:25 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,098,988 times
Umm . . . I think that you have your neighborhoods confused. The Highland NA is bounded by Anderson to the north, the entire Highland neighborhood is south of 183! Lamar is the west boundary, i-35 is the east, and 2222 is the south boundary. I know people who live in that area. Yes, north of St. Johns, particularly east of I-35 is a bit rough, and there are homeless folks around (like nearly everywhere in central austin, and I see folks come out of homeless camps in the brush off 360 all the time too.

Anyway, there are some decent houses in that area and it is worth more careful investigation, particularly the southern end of the neighborhood. The NA members all live there, and most of the time, they will give you a straight answer about crime. Plenty of hard-working folks live in Highland, the drunks who go to the Yellow Rose mostly do not!

Sorry that you don't feel safe where you live.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:58 PM

1 posts, read 4,489 times
I just wanted to bump this post, seeing as how it's about 6 years old and I live in Highland. I love living here. My neighbors are wonderful - they are smart, interesting and diverse and I feel very looked after by those around me and do my best to look out for them as well. It's a lovely community. Again, we are in the urban core of Austin so there is traffic at certain times of day, there are homeless people walking down the sidewalks occasionally, and I have heard of break-ins and crime from time to time, but luckily have not experienced any crime myself. Granted, I have a child and therefore take safety very seriously, but think I would be as serious about safety no matter where I lived. Anyway, if someone is considering moving to Highland I would certainly visit the place during the day then again at night and knock to see who neighbors might be. I'm glad we bought our home and look forward to living here for many more years to come!

Old 04-02-2014, 08:24 AM

300 posts, read 414,069 times
A friend of mine lives at the highland neighborhood. I visited him many times during day, night, and weekend. I was wondering why he selected this area when he told me that he had purchased a property in hignland. However, the neighborhood is better than I thought and he like the area. Highland Mall has been redevelopped. With the train station nearby, this is a great location for someone wants to live near town.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:28 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,398,518 times
My daughter bought a house in the Highland area three years ago and has never expressed any regrets about doing so.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:12 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,634 times
I live right by Highland Mall. It's a good area of town, and it's only going to get better as Highland Mall and Airport Blvd start to be redeveloped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: