Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2008, 12:47 AM

37 posts, read 163,584 times

Advertisements

For my new job I was told the attire is "business casual" plus casual (jeans) on Fridays.

My interviewer said long shorts and capris are okay, I assume because of the stifling heat here in Texas.

I usually like jeans & sneakers so I want to be comfortable. So for me, that means no heels or skirts.

Can anyone provide any additional insight as to what you think business casual is? I'm a female in my mid-20s.

Also, if you know of decent but inexpensive places in Austin to pick up a some pieces for a business casual wardrobe, I'd love to hear some suggestions.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 07:01 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Boy, business casual mean very different things at different places. In Austin, it will TYPICALLY mean more casual than other places, but you can't be sure, especially with large multi-state/country companies. I would take the 'safe' path and dress a little nicer your first week and check out the typical attire. Our company probably says 'business casual in the handbook, but in the heat of the summer it is often shorts and Chacos.........

Old 08-20-2008, 07:34 AM

5,866 posts, read 11,924,669 times
I dress business casual for work - most days it's slacks and a blouse, but I wouldn't be out of place wearning jeans and a t-shirt. I choose to dress a little nicer because I think it shows a little more professionalism.

My favorite places to shop are Ross, TJ Maxx, Kohls, Dress Barn, and I shop Dillards or Macys during their sales. Ross is hit and miss - I find a lot of stuff at the one on Braker and 183. If you want really cheap, I like Thrift Town @ Stassney and Manchaca. I've gotten some nice label stuff there for next to nothing!

Old 08-20-2008, 10:50 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,470,817 times
Ross and Kohls are your best bet.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:18 AM

37 posts, read 163,584 times
Thank you for the suggestions, I really appreciate it. Most of my wardrobe is decidedly in the "casual" category so I need to buy some new things or else I'll be wearing the same clothes every week!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin