Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2008, 08:25 AM

7 posts, read 16,135 times

Advertisements

DH and I will be moving to Austin in a couple of weeks. Looks like we will be temporarily renting an apt at Barton Springs Park Place until we get to know the area better and buy a house. Any recommendations for a good gym? I'm looking forward to getting a lot of good outdoors exercise in Austin, but I also love to take Pilates and other classes. Any info you can provide would be helpful!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 02:10 PM

979 posts, read 2,955,769 times
IMHO, PureAustin is the best gym in Austin. It runs about $65/month. The North location (near the Arboretum) actually has lots of outdoor activities you can take part in as well. Also, the Lifetime fitness facilities are very nice as well, so you may want to take a look at that to see which one meets your needs.

EDIT: Since you are on Barton Springs, you'll be very close to the downtown location of Pure Austin which is right across the street from Whole Foods.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:27 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
My wife likes JoyMoves for pilates/yoga, off 360. But it's not a full gym. The town lake YMCA branch is very close to you and has outdoor access to the town lake hike & bike trail. Plus new equipment, classes, and very laid back environment.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:38 PM

132 posts, read 542,317 times
Pure Austin fitness is Awesome!

Old 08-28-2008, 08:23 PM

101 posts, read 383,691 times
I didn't look around too much but joined Pure Austin a year ago and think its a great gym. I go during the day to the Town Lake location mostly and it tends to be very quiet. Although I work out on my own, there are many classes to attend if that is your thing. Its one of those places - do your own thing or join in a group. It caters to both camps equally well.

I've been to the Quarry Lake location a couple of times, and consulted with their in-house physio who was exceptionally professional, and over the course of two hours set me on the road to mending a long standing running injury. Hoorah!

Old 08-28-2008, 09:52 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,435,039 times
I go to Lifetime, but I just cancelled my membership. I really don't care for it that much. They had a drowning incident this summer. The daycare is horrible as well. I wasn't that impressed. 24 hour fitness on William Cannon is new and much better. Who needs all that hoopla for 60 bucks a month. Not me!

Old 08-29-2008, 07:45 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
I used to go to Gold's, don't know if it's been bought out?, but now I go to Premiere Lady in NW Hills, by HEB. I love it because it's all women, so no sweaty equipment or pick up lines....
There's one South as well. It's reasonably priced and has lots of classes. If you live close, check it out. They also have reciprocal priveleges for other women only clubs nationwide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin