Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 09:31 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,833 times

Advertisements

Nobody seems to care where you're from, on the surface anyways. Occasionally you might pickup a little vibe off of someone, but it's usually just people flexing their "born and raised" pride and probably should be seen as such. Folks do that everywhere. You'll get what you put in, just like anywhere. People ARE chattier here. If that bothers you, it might take some getting used to and being overly reserved might be interpreted as rude by some people. I like the relaxed, personable and talkative nature of Austin, so for me, the transition has been pretty transparent.

As for dialect, there's all sorts of twang out there. Back in Ohio, as you move south, you get WV and Kentucky twang(think bluegrass banjo...in fact, regional music will often give you an idea of how the locals talk). A lot of people seem to think I'm from the East Coast(NY). What they're most likely hearing is a mix of P.A.(parents), Midwest, Canadian(Great Lakes) and a bit of Appalachian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 09:36 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
I thought that my wife and I had very little accent of any kind, but a lady we met in Hawaii a couple of years ago nailed me as 'central Texan' and my wife as 'northern Indiana' - both right-on. Turns out she was a linguist and knew the tiniest little details to look for. Was kind of spooky, actually . She admitted she did not always get it THAT perfect.....

Old 09-04-2008, 09:44 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,292,634 times
Hmm... of the places I've been, nobody really knows where I'm from without asking me. I just have a very generic American accent. The only thing that ever gives it away is if I say "y'all" when I'm in another state

Old 09-04-2008, 02:16 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,290,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave27 View Post
I head that people in Texas are not very friendly towards transplants, or at least not as friendly (treat transplants differently).....is this true???
I came here from New England three years ago and have not experienced any hostility from native Texans because I'm here. Maybe they are super-friendly to their fellow natives, but I wouldn't know.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:47 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times
Oh good grief no! I moved to Texas and stayed for 13 years and in that time, I made the best friends of my life outside of those I made in the Navy. In fact, in some ways I think it was a mistake that I moved away from Texas. Yes, when I first moved to Texas I had to adjust and people did comment on my yankee accent. But, you just, as my friend would say, 'catch them with honey." When someone would comment I would say "Yes, I'm a yankee but I'm a nice yankee" or "Yes, but I'm a Texan at heart"....and over time, I found out I really was a Texan at heart. I miss Texas dearly, and no other place has found its way into my heart quite like that state has. I'm working my way back. But to all you transplants out there, just be nice and courteous. Just because people want to have conversations while standing in line at a shop or whatever doesn't mean they're "fake" or "nosey." Idle chatter is like sprinkles on a cupcake. It's just fun and yummy. Don't talk about your former state or city as though it were the best and if only Texas would do it this way or that. Embrace Texas and find her endearing qualities. Enjoy them, be kind to people, and you should do fine.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:30 PM

22 posts, read 91,616 times
Been here about 7 months -- and haven't met an unfriendly yet.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:52 PM

385 posts, read 1,248,633 times
well, I think it depends on where you are from. I've been met with loads of friendliness but when I mention I'm from California I've had some give me a bit of attitude. and no, I don't ever talk about what I miss from my home state or complain about Texan things. I love being here, but I think Californians get a really bad rap.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:55 AM

If Californians get a bad rap, it's because they've worked for it. I can't tell you the amount of Californians I've run into who have this elitist,entitled attitude and who are quick to make their new home resemble the California they were so quick to leave. I don't think all Californians should be lumped into this category because it isn't true of them all, but there is alot of "Californication" going on in other parts of the country: an influx of Californians who cash in on their expensive homes, buy twice the home somewhere else, drive up the cost of living, stress the infrastructure, and eventually make it unaffordable for locals who have lived in their respective towns/cities maybe all their lives. So, when you get that hostility or judgement agaisnt Californans, that's where it's coming from. It isn't right, but it is what it is.....If you're just yourself, people will warm up to you and will see your true colors over time.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:23 AM

385 posts, read 1,248,633 times
where do you run into these A-hole Californians? I've been here 6 months and I've never even met another Californian. Mostly other Texas transplants and a few from the mid-west. I rent in a regular joe neighbrohood so perhaps I'm just in the wrong area.
Please tell me where I can find them so I can tell them what A-holes they are being. I really hate that all Californians get lumped into this category.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothercalifornian View Post
where do you run into these A-hole Californians? I've been here 6 months and I've never even met another Californian. Mostly other Texas transplants and a few from the mid-west. I rent in a regular joe neighbrohood so perhaps I'm just in the wrong area.
Please tell me where I can find them so I can tell them what A-holes they are being. I really hate that all Californians get lumped into this category.
I wasn't saying it's specifically Texas where these Californians are. Sorry for the confusion. The poster said that he/she got a anti-cali vibe in Texas. I made the comment that it's been my observation in places where I have lived in the states: WA, AZ, FL,....I could name more, that these are the complaints. I personally have not seen this in Texas. I was answering more on a "this has been my experience based on observation and in listening to what other friends are saying....both Californians and others." I'm not bashing CA's in any way. I am stating that this is the sentiment in many areas. I can also say that I used to live in CA (although I wasn't born and raised there) so when I went to visit WA or a few other states and people saw my CA license plates, I'd get flipped off or would hear bad comments about CA people. Again, I'm not defending the charaterization of all people by the actions of a few. But it does seem that I have run into quite a bit of those few. Just trying to provide some insight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin