Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 06:03 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times

Advertisements

There are tornadoes in quite a few places in Texas, but some places less than others. We don't really get a lot down here, and the damage is minimal. (We're at the very tail end of tornado alley). Remember, with tornadoes, the area of damage is minimal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 09:35 AM

260 posts, read 904,938 times
Quote:
btw Austin Newby I am from Los Angeles, have lived in Central FL, WV, and North NJ
Coming from LA, weather might be a little adjustment initially but you'll get used to it quickly as you've lived in the humid southeast and east coast areas too. Homeowners insurance is likely much cheaper here; I heard earthquake insurance is outrageous.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:53 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,293,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen01 View Post
wow tornadoes, that doesn't sound good, it can totally dmage your houses and stuff, are there tornadoes all over tx? are there some area that has less tornadoes than others?

btw Austin Newby I am from Los Angeles, have lived in Central FL, WV, and North NJ
Tornadoes really aren't much of a concern for the Austin area. As far as weather, you'll find the climate much more similar to Los Angeles than to the East Coast. My wife is from Central Florida, and if you can live there than you can live anywhere. Austin feels like a desert after visiting that place.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:22 AM

2 posts, read 3,814 times
i have a question about Austin. i`m from Romania and my brother has moved into austin recently. are there any natural disasters there?i`ve searched on the internet but i ddn`t find something interesting.i know that most of the america continent is visited by hurricanes and i`m a bit worryed..he moved from romania to california i think..:-? and from there to huston if i recall and now here. i apologise for my english.thank you very much.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:25 AM

2 posts, read 3,814 times
and i`ve read somewhere that texas is visited by deadly hurricanes every year and i am a bit scared

Old 01-16-2009, 08:06 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,653,691 times
Hurricanes of any force rarely hit the Texas coast, and when they do hit, the coast gets the worst of it. Austin is ~300 km from the coast, so the danger is typically similar to a bad thunderstorm system.

Earthquakes are essentially non-existent (Central Texas and Austin are in one of the lowest earthquake zones in the world).

Tornados are possible, but really are more prevalent north of Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin