Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 06:04 PM

368 posts, read 1,785,788 times

Advertisements

We were in Jamestown, VA, when Ernesto came ashore in '06. I just thought I'd seen excessive rain in the past.

Nothing like 8-10 inches in a 24 hour period. The place in which we were staying literally became a lake which looked deep enough to be a PWC (Jet Ski) playground.

As long as Ike leaves Tina, the oil rigs, alone, we'll all be fine.

"Left a good job in the city...."

Sorry, I couldn't help it. I fixed my car's A/C today, of course it has an empty 24 gallon tank, so I'm trying to avoid needing a small loan to fill it. My wife's car never has issue one which goes 12 hours without me fixing it. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 06:29 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
I'm finding myself thinking of last summer, with 19 inches in 4 hours in Marble Falls. We had a light pitter patter rain here, but upstream (a creek runs through our property), they got 9 inches in the same 4 hours, and the creek came WAY above the hundred year flood plain and flooded our storm shelter.

I'd be more concerned about associated tornadoes.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:59 PM

368 posts, read 1,785,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I'm finding myself thinking of last summer, with 19 inches in 4 hours in Marble Falls. We had a light pitter patter rain here, but upstream (a creek runs through our property), they got 9 inches in the same 4 hours, and the creek came WAY above the hundred year flood plain and flooded our storm shelter.

I'd be more concerned about associated tornadoes.
I've heard about that, and honestly, having been in 3 inch/hour rain one time, for about six minutes, I can't/don't want to imagine it for much longer.

It was very much like being under a waterfall.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:16 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,472,261 times
FYI - RRISD has moved all Varsity games to tonight and cancelled JV and freshman games that would have been tonight.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:14 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,700,559 times
From the stormpulse site it looks like it will miss even East of Austin now. It looks like they have it hitting Freeport and completely missing the entire Austin area, so I wouldn't expect any rain at all.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:15 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,928,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artifice View Post
Jim Spencer is that you? Don't tease us! Rain we need the winds and tornadoes not so much...

Funny, I know Jim Spencer, from his days at KTEN in Ada, Oklahoma where we worked together. I emailed him a few years ago after seeing him on the Weather channel; he's the same really nice guy.

We've been getting rain here in the DFW area for the last few days. This afternoon was the first time I've seen the sun in that time. It looks to be an interesting weekend.

However, the storm track is predicted to move farther east, which will still include the DFW area but it looks like Austin won't be affected too much.

But, those are just predictions.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:41 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,293,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
From the stormpulse site it looks like it will miss even East of Austin now. It looks like they have it hitting Freeport and completely missing the entire Austin area, so I wouldn't expect any rain at all.
I called it! Where's my prize?

Old 09-11-2008, 04:43 PM

89 posts, read 418,481 times
I posted on wrong topic

Last edited by parkk; 09-11-2008 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: wrong info

Old 09-11-2008, 05:28 PM

835 posts, read 1,322,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Funny, I know Jim Spencer, from his days at KTEN in Ada, Oklahoma where we worked together. I emailed him a few years ago after seeing him on the Weather channel; he's the same really nice guy.

We've been getting rain here in the DFW area for the last few days. This afternoon was the first time I've seen the sun in that time. It looks to be an interesting weekend.

However, the storm track is predicted to move farther east, which will still include the DFW area but it looks like Austin won't be affected too much.

But, those are just predictions.

Yeah Yeah rub it in that you are getting rain
I heard about this time once a long, long, long time ago in Austin when this wet stuff fell from the sky... Oh well sprinkler system back on.
Does anybody know if the left over of Lowell from the other side will do anything? Like rain in Austin please.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:11 AM

675 posts, read 1,905,589 times
okay so are we going to get rains or not? This storm is huge, it's taking up the entire gulf of Mexico!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin