Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 08:24 PM

648 posts, read 1,964,654 times

Advertisements

10k?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 09:30 PM

30 posts, read 140,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled Texan View Post
10k?
Do you mean how much to install a pool?

My realtor told me a minimum of $35,000. I heard from someone else its about $30,000 to $60,000 depending on depth and options.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:07 AM

No, to REMOVE a pool. For me, I would never have a pool due to safety reasons with young kids. Non-negotiable. Just trying to factor in how much it would cost to turn a back yard that has a pool into a nice grassy area for kids to play.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:12 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Hmm.....that is a hard one to answer, it really depends on how much you remove and how much you leave. If you just use a back-hoe and dig up the decking (dump it in the pool, I guess) and then backfill with soil....not to terribly much. A few hours of a back hoe and an operator, then the cost of buying and delivering the soild. Sod it over and you are done, I guess.....the soil could be the expensive part .

Old 10-04-2008, 08:15 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
It can be more involved that you think! I also started my home search absolutely opposed to pools and I did a lot of research on the cost to remove one. It can run any where from 15-30K! No kidding.

Much depends on the lot, if the lot is narrow and the yard fenced and the house wide -- then that drastically limits the type of equipment you can get back there. Other options are to disassemble and reassemble the equipment or use a crane to lift it behind the house. Both of those options cost time and money. So for lots in the central city with only five feet of clearance along the side of the house, it can be cost prohibitive. And then remember, all that debris needs to be carted away, again ease of access is key. And you will have to pay for a dumpster and the fees at the landfill. And you will need a demolition permit.

I am not sure that the city will let you do what Trainwrecker recommends, dump the decking into the empty pool structure and then fill. And it would have to be disclosed to any buyer down the road. I know I would steer clear.

Then you have to figure out how to get soil and other fill material behind the house, lots of labor costs not to mention material! It must properly compacted etc.

There is information out there. I remember spending at least 2 days on it with google's help.
In the end my water-loving husband and three-year old, convinced me that a pool would be great and my insurance agent told me it wouldn't affect my rates very much and the second half of our house search focused only on homes WITH pools!

Access to the pool is the key variable -- if you have a big lot and can get equipment back there simply, and can afford the dump fees and soil, it won't be too bad. But probably at least 10K. Otherwise, the price rises rapidly.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:17 PM

Central Austinite- Thanks for your thoughts, but I can not be convinced to keep a pool. It is an absolute no. My brother advised me not to even bid on the home as they think the seller will see their pool as an asset and not take the hit I expect to accommodate for the removal. FWIW- my brother 100% agrees about not having a pool with little kids.

The house I'm looking at with a pool needs at complete gut reno. I expect a lot of dumpsters to be out front. So, should budget 20K for pool removal and factor into any bid? Will be interesting.

I also wouldn't do what Trainwrecker recommends. I'd want to haul it all out.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:55 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Just to clarify, that is not necessarily a recommendation so much as a bottom line cheapest way to do it .

Old 10-05-2008, 09:52 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Exile, if you are that serious, talk to a contractor and the City first.

And again, access to the backyard is key, if you are on a corner lot for example and can take down your own fencing and get fairly big equipment back there, it can go faster and more cheaply. I'd also try to talk to a landscape architect and maybe an engineer to get a sense of what type and how much fill you will need. Get a better handle on that cost.

Good luck! I'd keep looking for other house without a pool.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:48 PM

835 posts, read 1,322,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled Texan View Post
Central Austinite- Thanks for your thoughts, but I can not be convinced to keep a pool. It is an absolute no. My brother advised me not to even bid on the home as they think the seller will see their pool as an asset and not take the hit I expect to accommodate for the removal. FWIW- my brother 100% agrees about not having a pool with little kids.

The house I'm looking at with a pool needs at complete gut reno. I expect a lot of dumpsters to be out front. So, should budget 20K for pool removal and factor into any bid? Will be interesting.

I also wouldn't do what Trainwrecker recommends. I'd want to haul it all out.

Just an FYI as I have young children and a pool.....(2-7years) I have never had a problem. It may be cheaper to install a child proof fence, or cover (3-5K) than to get rid of it. If your child can't get to the pool then the risk is eliminated. We don't have a fence, but we have locks on the exterior doors that the children can't reach and an alarm that goes off if anything over 15lbs. hits the pool. The kids love it and even my 2 yr. old can swim and dive to the bottom. I would much rather have my kids learn at a young age how to get to safety in a pool and tread water than to close them off from the learning, but we go boating and are teaching the two older kids to water ski next year so our circumstances are different.
Not trying to change your mind as we all have different life experiences....just offering a cheaper solution that may work. A pool in Austin is a plus but I was told it only adds 5-10K to the value of your home….in this market anything is possible.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 10-06-2008, 06:29 PM

Artifice- After living in NYC, I want to be able to send my kids to the back yard to play without worry. I maybe would do as you suggest and cover/fence off a pool, but only if it was tucked away on a big lot. I'm buying in Central Austin, so no big lots.

It seems every week a kid dies due to backyard pool drownings. Just do a google news once a week and you'll see. With maintenance, etc., I don't see the benefit. If someone told you a pool in Austin is a plus but I was told it only adds 5-10K to the value, they didn't meet someone like me and a vast majority of my friends.

Also, google, in ground pool removal and there are a lot of people like me posting on boards asking the same question. I'm sure there are people who love a pool with kids. I'm not one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: