Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 12:08 PM

509 posts, read 1,544,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
I talked to them and they support vonage and time warner phone as well as a landline.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,848 times
I sell security systems with ADT and I can guarantee you that your alarm system is being monitored out of some hole in the wall place. It's just not safe going with companies that have rates that low, because they are low for a reason. ADT has five monitoring facilities nationwide and that company has one, so I hope that facility never goes down because then all their customers will be screwed.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:30 AM

589 posts, read 1,813,080 times
I've often wondered about vonage and the other broadband phone service providers because when the power goes out I think the phone goes out too. Alarm systems have battery backups but I would presume that if the alarm were tripped during a power outage, the battery powered alarm system would not be able to transmit through the dead broadband phone.

We always keep an old fashioned phone in our house so that we have phone service during power outages.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:40 AM

589 posts, read 1,813,080 times
Looks like I found the answer to my above posted dilemma re the power on another thread. Apparently the alarm companies rely upon cell phone towers as backups during power outages. Still, that seems kinda scary since cell phone service seems to be less than ideal in many places of North Austin and vicinity.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:45 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,058,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treaves View Post
I sell security systems with ADT and I can guarantee you that your alarm system is being monitored out of some hole in the wall place. It's just not safe going with companies that have rates that low, because they are low for a reason. ADT has five monitoring facilities nationwide and that company has one, so I hope that facility never goes down because then all their customers will be screwed.

I worked at ADT about 20 years ago as a Central Station monitor (one of the ones that call the police when the alarms go off). I can tell you from experience (back then) that burglar alarms are VERY low priority with the police departments, mainly because of all the false alarms. They'll go do something else and then find the time to get around to responding to a call on a burglary alarm.

In some areas, the police will start fining you after a certain amount of false alarms, since it costs money for the police to respond each time.

Just FYI, but like I said, maybe things have changed since I worked for the alarm companies...

Old 10-04-2009, 10:49 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
We have had the police respond to our security alarm twice, both times they came out very quickly. I think they actually look forward to a chance to catch someone in the act of burglary, even if it is a false alarm most of the time. It beats writing traffic tickets.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,375 times
Austin fine policy is:

Type of CallNumber allowed
at no charge
in consecutive
12 month period$50 Each$75 Each$100 EachBurglary34-56-78 or moreRobbery
Panic2- - 3 or

Old 10-04-2009, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,375 times
try this link for Austin fine policy: [URL="http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/police/alarmp.htm"]www.ci.austin.tx.us/police/alarmp.htm[/URL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin