Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2007, 12:26 AM

3 posts, read 42,538 times

Advertisements

I'm a native Texan who left many years ago but I visited Austin last week and totally dug it and I want to relocate from Seattle. My question is about the neighborhood between I-35 and McKinney Falls State Park in the vicinity of Stassney Ln and William Cannon Dr., Real estate there is considerably less expensive than the other South Austin neighborhoods but yet it is 5 miles to downtown, has two golf courses,a state park and a fairly new library branch. Is there some imaginary line that gets crossed when you are east of I-35?
Looking at it with Google Earth,the houses and yards look clean,I don't see cars piled up on front yards or any other telltale signs of decay(as much as one can tell from satellite photos!) There must be some ugly underbelly but I can't seem to find what that is. I look forward to your collective input. Thankyou
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 06:21 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
The schools are not good. Lots of unsupervised teenagers in the area. Lots of kids racing up and down William Cannon in small Japanese cars. Many first-time owners and renters. Lots of foreclosures.

On the upside, it is close in and the homes are inexpensive as you've noticed.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:31 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,016,561 times
Yes, there is a line dividing the city and it is I-35. You do not want to live east of 35.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:51 PM

644 posts, read 3,320,902 times
Why do you want to leave Seattle? Curious what it's like up there.

Artie

Old 02-28-2007, 12:21 AM

3 posts, read 42,538 times
Seattle is a good city,I've been here 19 years but the sense of community is not strong. I'm a pro musician and of the 10 musicians that relocated to Seattle from Texas that I knew every single one of them fled back to Texas like rats off a sinking ship. The musicians community in Texas is legendary for being just that,a community,not the case here in the Northwest. I never thought that weather would be a factor in where I would live but the grey days can take a toll over the years. I'll sometimes watch old Andy Griffith reruns just because the sun will be out in Mayberry. When you start doing that it's time for a change. I left Texas years ago because it was so Texas-centric,great to be from there particularly as a musician,we will support our local boys but oblivious to everything outside of the state. Seattle is the opposite,the world comes through the city in film,music,theater,dance and literature. Well,with the internet all the rules have changed and you can bring all that with you now with a good wifi connection.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:36 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,898,377 times
Misturafina,
I'm a musician as well, relocating this summer to Austin from Cleveland, Ohio. It might amuse you to know that Seattle has less gray days per year than Cleveland! Right now I'm ready to strangle somebody!!!!!!!!

Your comments about Seattle vs Austin are interesting. My perception of the Seattle scene was more idyllic. I'm used to a very segregated musical landscape hear in the Great Lakes...musicians, artists, dancers etc. are very unaware of each other. Hoping Austin is a little more "transparent" that way.

I am interested in the South-East area as well-specifically the Riverside/Oltorf area. My wife will be working out that way, so the proximity makes sense. I know it doesn't look appealing now, but there seems to be a plan being hashed out for neighborhood redevelopment(which isn't always a good thing).

Anyway, check out this link:

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/zoning/eroc.htm

Old 02-28-2007, 08:44 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Historically, there has been an invisible line along I-35 that divided East from West, nice from not nice (well, I guess I-35 is not really invisible...). Anyway, there has been a little blurring of that line along certain areas. There is some great potential for the SE Austin area and with the rapid growth of Austin, I would not be surprised if there is not some significant improvement during the next few years. Not everyone can afford all the spiffy new downtown developments, and the SE area may become a viable alternative. On the other hand, it spent many years as one of the more dangerous areas of town.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:00 PM

1 posts, read 8,574 times
hi - i've lived in south east austin since i was three - i love it and am currently looking for a house here too. the fact is that east austin is considered the ghetto. Southeast austin is just a step above east austin. you will be living on the outskirts of dove springs neighborhood. Maybe you are already here and already know what I'm talking about. I love it... but it could show to be a challenge coming from seattle. Good luck to you

Old 11-23-2007, 12:51 PM

11 posts, read 59,256 times
The fact that many people would never consider living east of 35 is a good reason why you should, if you like the area and the home prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin