Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 06:38 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,965 times

Advertisements

The ONLY thing you need to know is that it is "soda", "soda water", or "coke" but never, ever "pop".

That's the only thing that'll get you a second look here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 07:05 AM

509 posts, read 1,544,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
The ONLY thing you need to know is that it is "soda", "soda water", or "coke" but never, ever "pop".

That's the only thing that'll get you a second look here.
Actually, I grew up in New England and we always called it "tonic." I'm not sure if that's done anymore or not.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:32 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
This has gone a bit OT...

In any case, I grew up in southern New England and have lived in Austin since 1992. If seafood, the ocean, etc. are the things that are really important to you, I think you'll find Austin disappointing. Austin tends to work for those who are looking for a more laid back existence than in NE. The pace is slower and there are areas of the city that really provide good music entertainment. The food, if you like TexMex is good. If you like Italian, etc., you'll be disappointed.

RE: Dunkin Donuts. They are building franchised DD all over Austin over the next year or two. The ones that are opening are, in a word, disappointing. They don't bake fresh and instead have the donuts trucked in from a central bakery. Not good. At least compared with a real DD. The coffee isn't quite the same either.

I think who ever said that New Englanders have a hard time adjusting to Austin has a really good point. There is a vast difference in the culture. New Englanders tend to have a hard time with the openness that many Texans display. What might be considered private in New England is a get-to-know-you question in Texas. I also believe there are subtle difference in the quality of life that become apparent after moving.

As for me, I am returning to New England in the fall. On balance, there is no place like home.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:38 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
I'm curious about the "subtle difference in the quality of life" that you mention. Could you expand on that a bit? (Given that quality of life is a very subjective thing, of course.)

Old 12-27-2008, 08:54 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,233,328 times
I just think it's a mistake to generalize, that's all. Not all Californians look like Malibu Barbie (in fact, most don't). Not all mid-westerners are friendly/nice. Not all Ma$$holes are, well, Ma$$holes. I think it's also a mistake to be too provincial. You can't own a whole state, city, etc... People have the right to live wherever they want. That's part of living in a free country. Of course, you have a right to be pissed off about it too, heh.

I never called it "pop" or ever heard anyone call it that. I always called it "soda" or just "coke," "pepsi," etc... Maybe that's an old-timey New England thing? If you call a liquor store a "packey" here you'll get funny looks though, heh.

Not all people from Mass are cold, stuck-up, etc... In fact, when I think of home, I think of people goin' to get a couple, two or tree (not a typo) beahs aftah work and laughing with friends. Personally, I find Austin to be very "Cambridge 20 years ago." Fun, funky, eclectic, liberal, etc...

There are some definite cultural differences, but as long as you are generally an open-minded person, and don't mind being around friendly people (or Mexican food), I think you'll do well. Of course, the thing to do is come VISIT!

Old 12-27-2008, 08:56 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,843 times
My current boss moved to Austin from Boston three years ago. He has loosened up a bit since then, but still has an edge to him that I find offensive. He tends to belittle the customs here on a regular basis as if life back in Boston was superior. His wife pines to go back to Mass but I think he is a convert to the more laid-back lifestyle here... not to mention the warmer winters.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:58 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,233,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
My current boss moved to Austin from Boston three years ago. He has loosened up a bit since then, but still has an edge to him that I find offensive. He tends to belittle the customs here on a regular basis as if life back in Boston was superior. His wife pines to go back to Mass but I think he is a convert to the more laid-back lifestyle here... not to mention the warmer winters.
Don't get me wrong, there are jerks from Boston too!

Old 12-27-2008, 10:41 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
I used to live in RI and an awful lot of Mass (as did RI) appeared to be blue collar. I think expatvermonter that you are hyperfocusing a few bad apples. Having also lived in Austin, I think you would be disappointed to get down there and find the same difficulties with increasing cost of living because of wealthy people in the area.

To get back to the original topic, I am not a true new englander in that I only lived there for 4 and half years there before moving to Austin. We loved Austin in comparison. People are so much friendlier there and the cost of living much lower. I suppose if you are a life long NE'er you will be disappointed with the lack of seasons and you might be taken aback by how friendly people are. It is a completely different culture. Or at least it was eight years ago when we lived there last. We liked it enough that we are giving up all the natural beauty of the Pacific Northwest to move back.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:44 AM

509 posts, read 1,544,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
I just think it's a mistake to generalize, that's all.
I completely agree with you! The first time I took my native Texan husband to visit my brother in Vermont, he fell in love with NE. He thinks it's great that he doesn't have to talk to anyone if he doesn't want to and won't be considered rude. His idea of hell is someone trying to talk to him on a plane, grocery store line, etc. To each his (or her) own.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:47 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Having lived all over the country, the only place I've ever heard soda called "pop" is in the Pacific Northwest. My husband is from the midwest and says they called it "pop" there too. He said the first time he heard it called soda was when he was stationed in New England. That's what they called it when I lived there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin