Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 10:51 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,716,880 times

Advertisements

Naw, it's still that way. It's not just an Austin thing, it's a Texas thing. On our way out of Katy last night we stopped at Taco Bell and my husband made me go in and get food. He wanted a Steak burrito, but it wasn't really listed on the menu so I had no idea which one to get him. The guy at the register said they could put steak in anything. I was still a little unsure of which one to get, so the man who was next to me waiting for his order recommended something after asking me a few questions and it ended up being something my husband actually liked. Made me glad I live in this State, because I'm sure somewhere else that wouldn't have really happened and people would have been more irritated with me trying to decide than being helpful so I wasn't standing around like a total goofball

My best friend in High School was from Omaha, Nebraska and they called coke "Pop" as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 11:05 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,333,968 times
What do people mean when they talk about the 'lower cost of living' in Austin? Is it real estate and no state income tax? I mean, isn't the cost of food, gas, utilities, eating out, insurance and that kind of thing the same everywhere in the US? Personally, I don't find Austin any cheaper than other cities I visit. A grande soy latte is the same wherever I go...

Old 12-27-2008, 11:23 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,067,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
What do people mean when they talk about the 'lower cost of living' in Austin? Is it real estate and no state income tax? I mean, isn't the cost of food, gas, utilities, eating out, insurance and that kind of thing the same everywhere in the US? Personally, I don't find Austin any cheaper than other cities I visit. A grande soy latte is the same wherever I go...
Starbucks has the same prices all over the country which is probably why they are not doing that well right now. While people in the bay area may not balk at a $4 latte, not everyone can stomach that.

In terms of groceries, a box of cereal at my local grocery story that runs for about 4.95 can be found at the HEB down there for 2.50. A pint of Ben and Jerry's here runs for 4.99 while I found it at HEB last spring for 2.65. Groceries vary in price depending on the part of the country one lives in. Things like rental, transportation, and labor costs all affect the final price in a particular market.

A big part of the cost of living is home prices. For as much as Austin has increased over the last decade, it is still a bargain compaired to any place on either coast.

I also noted that restaurant prices are a bit cheaper there than up here. You could go to Waterloo Alehouse and have a sandwich for 8.50. Here you cannot get a sandwich at a pub for under $10. Over time, and many purchases, this all adds up.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:03 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,120,996 times
Yes, my mother nearly cries when in the cereal aisle at HEB. Kashi is $2.67 a box at HEB is over $4 in the midwest. Veggies are usually lower priced too.

I noticed this immediately when I first went grocery shopping here 18 years ago, lower shipping costs and lack of union labor makes a difference in the prices. Our rent was also much lower here and the apartment was much nicer!

Housing here is still reasonable compared to much of the country.

Old 12-27-2008, 01:05 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,238,098 times
I've noticed restaurants are less expensive (for the most part) here than in SoCal. So is getting a beer or a cocktail. Sorry, heh, I know this is an Austin vs. New England thread, but my point is part of the lower cost of living in Austin is eating out. Real estate is much less expensive here than in the Boston area, too.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:32 PM

947 posts, read 3,141,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Naw, it's still that way. It's not just an Austin thing, it's a Texas thing. On our way out of Katy last night we stopped at Taco Bell and my husband made me go in and get food. He wanted a Steak burrito, but it wasn't really listed on the menu so I had no idea which one to get him. The guy at the register said they could put steak in anything. I was still a little unsure of which one to get, so the man who was next to me waiting for his order recommended something after asking me a few questions and it ended up being something my husband actually liked. Made me glad I live in this State, because I'm sure somewhere else that wouldn't have really happened and people would have been more irritated with me trying to decide than being helpful so I wasn't standing around like a total goofball

My best friend in High School was from Omaha, Nebraska and they called coke "Pop" as well.

That's what I love about TX!

I grew up in MA - People would have stared at you and not said anything even though they have an answer that could have been helpful.

New England people are much more reserved. I spent 13 years in CA before moving to TX two years ago so I have thawed out quite a bit.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:42 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,155,747 times
Default qol

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I'm curious about the "subtle difference in the quality of life" that you mention. Could you expand on that a bit? (Given that quality of life is a very subjective thing, of course.)
Sure. Connecticut, where I am from, is situated between Boston and New York City- two historic vibrant cities that could be considered cultural capitals on a wordlwide basis. (Please don't try to tell me that Dallas and Houston some how compete culturally). The four distinct seasons, top ranked public schools on a nation-wide basis, and the presence of a more consumer/tenant focused body of law, in my opinion, provide a better quality of life than is found in Texas.

I know all the counter-arguments. Let's not go there.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:56 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,716,880 times
If people do go there, remember...you started it by saying how culturally better NY and Boston are on a Texas thread.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:08 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,155,747 times
Default culture

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
If people do go there, remember...you started it by saying how culturally better NY and Boston are on a Texas thread.
I am talking about specifically museums, theater and art... high culture so to speak. If you think there's an argument for Texas there, go for it. It's a Texas forum and we, imho, have to talk about both strengths and drawbacks so people moving hear can be well informed... Not blindly cheerlead for Texas as if its a sports team...

Old 12-27-2008, 06:23 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,450,502 times
Boston (I've been there a couple of times) and NYC (haven't been there, but my son lived there for some years) have their advantages - for visiting. As does D.C. - if there's one thing I would love about living in D.C., it would be if I could spend all my time visiting the Smithsonian in all its various incarnations.

But museums, opera, etc. - that's not real life; that's something I do on vacation or on occasion (well, not opera, I can't abide opera, though I love classical music and greatly admire opera singers when they're singing something else). "High culture" (now, there's a loaded and elitist term!) is all very well and good, but too rich a diet of it is like living on cake - not good for the system (physical or mental) as a steady diet.

But if that's what floats your boat, then I suppose that IS "quality of life" for you, and it's good that you're going back to it. Thanks for the reply.

I do wonder how much of an effort you've made to find those things, though, in the varying cities of Texas. Or did you just decide that they didn't exist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin