Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 12:45 PM

53 posts, read 138,686 times

Advertisements

Trying to decide where to move and can't get the CA bug outta my mind (I love the weather there, especially southern CA). However, I really like the laidback vibe of Austin, live music, and general atmosphere. Thinking I should move to CA for a bit (I have a professional job-doctorate) and get the bug outta my system until the high cost of living gets to me, then settle down in Austin once I have kids. So which city in CA is most like Austin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 12:57 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,083,166 times
San Jose

Old 05-24-2010, 01:04 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,576,586 times
You can find nice laid back areas with great weather pretty much anywhere there as long as you stay within about 5 miles from the coast. Once you go inland more than that, the weather will still be nicer than most of the country, but you'll be subjected to hot summers the further inland you go. SoCal turns into desert pretty quickly when you start to go East from the coast. Places like Carlsbad, Encinitas, and Solana Beach (San Diego suburbs) are really nice, but of course, these places are very expensive compared to most of Austin.

I really like living in Austin and I also really liked San Diego. I lived in the Bay area a couple years basically in San Jose and didn't really like it there. It was alright, but it wasn't as laid back as San Diego or Austin in my opinion.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:07 PM

362 posts, read 1,044,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsweet View Post
Trying to decide where to move and can't get the CA bug outta my mind (I love the weather there, especially southern CA). However, I really like the laidback vibe of Austin, live music, and general atmosphere. Thinking I should move to CA for a bit (I have a professional job-doctorate) and get the bug outta my system until the high cost of living gets to me, then settle down in Austin once I have kids. So which city in CA is most like Austin?
I'd say one of the San Diego beach towns. My cousin lived in Pacific Beach for years, and it has an extremely laid back vibe.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:22 PM

404 posts, read 712,399 times
Well i just moved from San Diego.

There are similarities, but also many differences. I'll put the best of Austin with the best of SD.

Weather: Obviously San Diego. However, I'm am really starting to enjoy the warm nights out here. Summer hasn't really started here yet tho, and I'm interested in experiencing the full extent of the heat. Last summer was pretty F'ing hot in SD. And I lived on the beach.

Nightlife: Austin, by a long shot. The PB bar scene or Downtown San Diego cannot even touch the nightlife here.

Entertainment and Music: Austin. Although nothing really beats grabbing a cold one at a bar on the beach during the late afternoon. San Diego's venues are spread out all over the place, and also expensive. Usually $20-25 to see a mid-sized act, and only going up from there.

Scenery: Tough call. San Diego has way better bike riding. Austin is very green... and the country is breathtaking. The rivers and lakes are very tranquil and calming. SD has the beach, palm trees, seagulls, parks, wild flowers, and all that makes SD the greatest place in SoCal. Thank you good people of SD for open space preservation. OC and LA simply cannot compare.
Biking down the boardwalk from Birdrock to Mission is something everyone should experience sometime.

Food: OK, maybe I'm biased here, but SD simply blows Austin out of the water. I've yet to find a burrito that can even come close to any given taco stand in SD. Or Asian food. And the portions seem smaller here. When I come back to visit, my burrito will be covered with tears, knowing that I won't be able to get another one for months.

Traffic: I grew up in OC and went to school in LA. I've seen the worst of the worst. Austin was not prepared for the amount of cars that are here. And if you get stuck in it, you will suffer. Especially in the heat. But I just discovered Frontage roads... what an amazing concept.
But San Diego wins on this. One thing that really sucks is that Austin doesn't have street signs on many intersections, which drives me up the wall.

That's my 2 cents. Also I haven't heard anyone here griping about Californians or other transplants. Almost everyone I know in Cali wouldn't ever leave anyway. They are absolutely convinced that nothing is better. Most will grow old not even seeing their own country.

Meanwhile, I'm content on becoming a cali/good ol' boy hybrid.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:47 PM

543 posts, read 1,741,956 times
Austin today is like Sonoma County during the 1970s. Fashion, politics and music. Deja vu all over again.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:41 PM

743 posts, read 1,372,942 times
Maybe parts of Marin (hilly, beautiful hikes, similar vide) or Santa Rosa or Los Gatos/Los Altos. Of course, these are all a lot more expensive.

Nothing is a perfect match, but those places come to mind.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:43 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSpartan View Post
I'd say one of the San Diego beach towns. My cousin lived in Pacific Beach for years, and it has an extremely laid back vibe.
No, I think San Diego is too conservative. I am trying to think, not San Jose, it is too close to San Francisco..

Nita

Old 05-24-2010, 08:38 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,105,370 times
We lived in Seal Beach (southern CA) for several years. It is a really laid back place, or at least it was. We rented less than a block from the beach. There is nothing more relaxing than opening your windows and hearing the waves breaking on the beach. At the time, it wasn't too expensive, comparatively speaking, but that was 25 years ago.

Marin County does have a relaxed atmosphere, but I would say that it is not as friendly as Austin, although that varies from one neighborhood to another. It is very expensive, of course, and although there are lots of middle class areas, there are also places where people are too rich to be laid back . I would say that Fairfax is the most laid back of the Marin County towns. It is very eclectic, free spirited, and definitely not snooty - lots of "hippie-ish" folks, weird little stores, organic ice cream shops, etc.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:37 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,269,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredding_Gnar78 View Post
Well i just moved from San Diego.

There are similarities, but also many differences. I'll put the best of Austin with the best of SD.
I would say mostly differences here. Austin could never compete with San Diego in any way shape or form. On one hand you have a beautiful, progressive, world class city featuring everything in the world to offer it's residents. Then you have Austin, which offers it's residents next to nothing.

Weather: Obviously San Diego. However, I'm am really starting to enjoy the warm nights out here. Summer hasn't really started here yet tho, and I'm interested in experiencing the full extent of the heat. Last summer was pretty F'ing hot in SD. And I lived on the beach.
San Diego wins hands down. Austin has a mostly miserable climate. The number of true "California days" you get here (light winds, clear skies and 75F) is probably 5 days per year. And there are WAY more cloudy days here.

Nightlife: Austin, by a long shot. The PB bar scene or Downtown San Diego cannot even touch the nightlife here.
That is completely rediculous. San Diegos nightlife is AWESOME. It is located in several parts of the city proper, and don't forget all of the great nightlife in La Jolla (near UCSD). Austin's nightlife is centered on ONE STREET. And quite honestly 6th street isn't too impressive.

Entertainment and Music: Austin. Although nothing really beats grabbing a cold one at a bar on the beach during the late afternoon. San Diego's venues are spread out all over the place, and also expensive. Usually $20-25 to see a mid-sized act, and only going up from there.
San Diego probably has more live music venues than Austin (although im not certain).

Scenery: Tough call. San Diego has way better bike riding. Austin is very green... and the country is breathtaking. The rivers and lakes are very tranquil and calming. SD has the beach, palm trees, seagulls, parks, wild flowers, and all that makes SD the greatest place in SoCal. Thank you good people of SD for open space preservation. OC and LA simply cannot compare.
Biking down the boardwalk from Birdrock to Mission is something everyone should experience sometime.
Tough Call?? Are you smoking dope??? San Diego has some of the most beautiful scenery on earth. Big palm trees, beautiful mountains west of the city, and smaller mountains north and northeast of the city. Beautiful coastline for many many miles. Austin is mostly flat and treeless (ok tall bushes). Yes, there is the hillbilly country, but except for a few tall bushes, it looks very much like an ugly dessert.

Food: OK, maybe I'm biased here, but SD simply blows Austin out of the water. I've yet to find a burrito that can even come close to any given taco stand in SD. Or Asian food. And the portions seem smaller here. When I come back to visit, my burrito will be covered with tears, knowing that I won't be able to get another one for months.
San Diego hands down. The food offerings in this town are unreal. Everything you could possibly ask for.

Traffic: I grew up in OC and went to school in LA. I've seen the worst of the worst. Austin was not prepared for the amount of cars that are here. And if you get stuck in it, you will suffer. Especially in the heat. But I just discovered Frontage roads... what an amazing concept.
But San Diego wins on this. One thing that really sucks is that Austin doesn't have street signs on many intersections, which drives me up the wall.
I have experienced some bad traffic areas in metro San Diego, but nothing even close to little Austin. Austin has 1 freeway and San Diego has probably half a dozen major freeways. The infastruture is very good in San Diego. Austin's infastruture is almost non existant.

That's my 2 cents. Also I haven't heard anyone here griping about Californians or other transplants. Almost everyone I know in Cali wouldn't ever leave anyway. They are absolutely convinced that nothing is better. Most will grow old not even seeing their own country.

There have been some foolish people who have left the Golden State for other inferior places such as Central Texas. But, be forwarned of the flood of people that will be "back to Cali" once the recession has ended and the state is "back on top." People should stay in San Diego and ride out the storm. Just listen to what I say. You will be so glad you did.

Meanwhile, I'm content on becoming a cali/good ol' boy hybrid.
You and me both!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin