Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 01:32 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,909,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
They don't like gay people in Austin. Most of the gays wouldn't be on the down low if it was gay friendly. Sure some areas down town cater to the homos but otherwise that is BS. Other than that I agree with you. The city stinks.

what??? they dont like gays in Austin? I thought that Austin was a liberal/democrat run city? So their views would be pro gay, pro interracial marriage and dating, pro minority, antiracist, big government supporters, high taxes, open-minded, etc. Now you are saying they are not that way? I am confused, I am moving there and decided to live out in the suburbs because i heard the city was super liberal, now you are saying it isnt?

Old 09-08-2009, 01:36 PM

calling someone a redneck or hayseed is the same as calling someone the N word or WB for a hispanic person, not sure why people who say they are tolerant and openminded and not racist still use such terms against poor white people?

Old 09-08-2009, 01:42 PM

spock, i am sure others would say they would never tolerate another black, ghetto, welfare cheating, obama loving, hip hop,cracksmoking, brotha's ignorance indifferently again, if they had the same experience you had with your so called hillbilly redneck. the evenign news in the urban jungle here in the northeast is just as bad and people are held prisioner by the kind of people that live around here, so you had a bad experience in hutto, i have had one in new york, boston, philly

Old 09-08-2009, 01:44 PM

you think Austin has people staring at you for beign different in a liberal democrat run town, artsy guy? go to portland oregon, or north boston, or northeast philly or center city philly, I could go on and on, and find lots of so called open minded whites starign at you for being black or different, or staring right through you like you werent even there. not just happenind in austin babe

Old 09-09-2009, 08:59 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times
I'm multiracial, my husband is a native Tex-Mex. As far as race relations go, I have seen far more interriacial couples/families here than I have ever seen in NYC, and it seems as if it is not all that unusual. I did have one unfortunate racist experience at the workplace two years ago, but that was more than exception than the rule. Overall, I've had positive experiences in Texas, especially Austin and its suburbs. People somehow have this perception that the South is more racist than the north, simply because of politics. New York City, for example, is not necessarily gay friendly in every neighborhood. There are some conservative neighborhoods in NYC, especially in the boros. Also need we forget the Howard Beach/Yusuf Hawkins slayings. There was a time was race was a bubbling cauldron in good ol' "liberal" New York City. I just don't think ANY particular place is going to be a racial utopia. I just can't see it. We have a long ways to go before that happens..

Old 09-11-2009, 02:22 PM

riaelise-you dont have to go to conservative areas of new york city to find racism and intolerance, stay in liberal manhattan and they are just as bad. they may not burn a cross in your yard or stoop rather, they will cut you negative looks, call the police if you look different, cross the street if you are of an ethnic group they fear or dont like, call you the N word to your face--and definitely not invite you into their homes.

people have this idea that racism is just something that is institutional happening at the job or by an authority figure. the most insidious kind is individual to individual. they dont have to wear sheets, most will be your nextdoor neighbor, people walking down the street, at the diner, etc.

the big urban liberal cities are filled with this stuff so Austin is not even close in racism experiences as say Philadelphia, Boston, Chicago and NYC

remember these so called liberal democratic cities still have ghettos that remind one of Beirut Lebanon after the wars. bombed out buildings, poverty that is 3rd world in its make up and filled with black or brown underclass. why are these ghettos still in a city with all these so called caring, open-minded, people? because the people who will not put up with crime, violence and squalor have moved out, the limosine liberals gentrify the poor areas making working class neighborhoods unaffordable to regular working people, and then building walls, barriers and forgetting the underclass and black and brown folk, EXCEPT come Election time. then the Liberal is bowing to the whims of the minority groups for votes, but dont give a darn what really happens to them.

but they want those who dont live in the city to pay for the healthcare, the welfare and the livelihood of the underclass that they say they love and believe are equal, but arent socially equal.

go to any downtown big city, find the wealthy neighborhoods and condo areas--find out how many minorities live there and ask some people why they dont live among the poor, why they live in luxury while the people they say are their equals live in squalor and poverty

Old 09-11-2009, 09:23 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
Just because Austin isn't as racist as the cities you know doesn't mean I would want to spend another boring and tedious day there

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
riaelise-you dont have to go to conservative areas of new york city to find racism and intolerance, stay in liberal manhattan and they are just as bad. they may not burn a cross in your yard or stoop rather, they will cut you negative looks, call the police if you look different, cross the street if you are of an ethnic group they fear or dont like, call you the N word to your face--and definitely not invite you into their homes.

people have this idea that racism is just something that is institutional happening at the job or by an authority figure. the most insidious kind is individual to individual. they dont have to wear sheets, most will be your nextdoor neighbor, people walking down the street, at the diner, etc.

the big urban liberal cities are filled with this stuff so Austin is not even close in racism experiences as say Philadelphia, Boston, Chicago and NYC

remember these so called liberal democratic cities still have ghettos that remind one of Beirut Lebanon after the wars. bombed out buildings, poverty that is 3rd world in its make up and filled with black or brown underclass. why are these ghettos still in a city with all these so called caring, open-minded, people? because the people who will not put up with crime, violence and squalor have moved out, the limosine liberals gentrify the poor areas making working class neighborhoods unaffordable to regular working people, and then building walls, barriers and forgetting the underclass and black and brown folk, EXCEPT come Election time. then the Liberal is bowing to the whims of the minority groups for votes, but dont give a darn what really happens to them.

but they want those who dont live in the city to pay for the healthcare, the welfare and the livelihood of the underclass that they say they love and believe are equal, but arent socially equal.

go to any downtown big city, find the wealthy neighborhoods and condo areas--find out how many minorities live there and ask some people why they dont live among the poor, why they live in luxury while the people they say are their equals live in squalor and poverty

Old 09-11-2009, 09:26 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
It's a lame town. The people who don't know any better stay there. And who cares about my personal life. This is about opinions of the city of Austin. Let's be real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Amazingly enough, there are a LOT of gay people in Austin that are on this board that contradict what you have to say, that feel perfectly welcome and happy living in Austin. People that actually live here. Now, here's a quick one for you, one that you've not answered straight that I could find: which is the real story? Did you live and work here? Did you attend school here? Did you just visit your cousin here? Can we have just one, internally consistent story, and you can declare that one the truth and we can go with it from now on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulmmm View Post
Wait, now you're back to claiming that you did used to live here? I thought your last official story was that you only visited a cousin here who was attending UT for a couple of weekends. You really need to take notes about what you're claiming so you can keep it all straight.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:34 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,002,288 times
[quote=carolinajack;10714244
why are these ghettos still in a city with all these so called caring, open-minded, people? because the people who will not put up with crime, violence and squalor have moved out, [/quote]

My question would be why are people putting up with crime that are still there?

Old 09-12-2009, 05:46 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,184,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
It's a lame town. The people who don't know any better stay there. And who cares about my personal life. This is about opinions of the city of Austin. Let's be real.
I don't think any thing you write is based on REAL experience.

I've lived here since 1984. Many here have lived in Austin, raised kids here, etc. That's far more REAL than what you talk about.

Last edited by hoffdano; 09-12-2009 at 06:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin