Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 01:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,720 times

Advertisements

Hello... my family is planning on relocating to Round Rock, Texas from SLC, Utah. I have heard only good things about the city and how family oriented the community is. I want to get a feel for how young children with disabilities are treated in the public school system by other children, parents and teachers. My son has a physical disability that affects the way he walks. He is mobile without assistance yet unstable at times. He cannot feel his feet, thus walks differently. His cognitive abilities are on track and he is quite intelligent for his age. I just want to make sure that he is going to be be raised in a positive, understanding and non discriminating atmosphere outside of our home. Thank you for any insight to my nagging anxieties.

Sincerely
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 07:04 AM

426 posts, read 1,673,828 times
While I personally did not go to school in Round Rock, I do live here now and I volunteer/coach with the Round Rock ISD Special Olympics team. From talking to the head coaches (who are all employees in the district - special ed teachers, PE teachers, etc), it seems like it's a relatively typical/accepting atmosphere. As a whole, there is not too much discrimination in general in this area. Just like all of the biracial parents who ask if central texas in general is going to look at their kids any differently - I don't think your son's issue would be a problem at all.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:53 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,905,041 times
if you have any problems contact Advocacy Inc. there is a website
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin