Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 03:03 PM

447 posts, read 1,850,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Yes, this is an entire other thread that I would love to see - what are the specific problems that you see with the educational system here and what specific solutions do you think would work?
I had a couple people on another thread ask me for my perspective on Texas education. My background: I have a Master's degree in Secondary English education from Boston College, and a Master's degree in School Counseling from Providence College. I spent 1 year teaching in a private school in MA, then 8 years at the top ranked public high school in Rhode Island - 4 years teaching English and 4 years as a school counselor. Since moving to Texas, I worked at UT as an academic advisor, as a school counselor in Hutto, and am now an English teacher at an undisclosed suburban location.

Please note - these are only one person's opinions, and NOT meant to bash or sneer Texas. I love living here, even though I'm very frustrated and unhappy with the state of public education in this state.

Specific problems I am encountering here that I did not experience in other states:

1. Over-reliance on standardized testing. It is no secret that Texas teachers teach to the TAKS test. I'm in no way blaming the teachers - I see firsthand how, to administration, everything is about the scores. I am finding my seniors have no analytical writing skills at all (analyzing text, utilizing textual evidence and quotes to support a thesis, etc). I have discussed this with my colleagues, both in my school and at others, and was told "they don't have to do that on the TAKS test, so we don't emphasize this". To me, I see a direct correlation between this, and the significant percentage of students who do not matriculate beyond their first year in college in Texas. How do these kids survive in college? My 3rd grade son has been practicing for the TAKS all year long. I see a real lack of critical thinking skills in my seniors here that I did not see in the Northeast, and I truly believe part of that is due to "teach to the test" mentality here.

2. Incredibly large class sizes. I teach 6 classes, and have a student load of 170 students. I teach senior English. My workload is ridiculously overwhelming, so much so that I do not anticipate continuing in the classroom next year. I always taught 5 classes, and my largest class ever was 28 students, with most 22-24. The first 3 weeks of classes, I had students sitting at my desk, and then on the floor. I could not even get administration to bring me enough desks for my room until the 3rd week of school. There is a very high turnover rate in Texas for teachers as compared to New England states. Speaking of that -

3. Lack of incentive/support for teachers here. I took a 10,000 dollar paycut moving here. I understand it's a lower cost of living, but that is a lot of money. I teach in a "good" district here, and just under 25% of teachers in the entire district have a Master's degree. Nearly 3/4 of teachers had Master's degrees in my RI district. I receive an extra 1500 dollars for my Master's degree here, and nearly 4000 dollars for the degree in RI. Please understand, I'm not complaining about money (I don't teach for the money) but I feel it reflects the attitude in Texas that education is not prioritized.

3. Lack of special education resources. I have been told by several colleagues that, as a statewide initiative, Texas did away with resource classes last year. I have several special education students who never even see their caseworkers. Yes, they are in inclusion classes, but the poor special education teachers can't possibly meet their needs, as they are overwhelmed. Special education students met in groups of 4 or 5 with their resource teachers for one period every other day in my other school.

4. Focus on athletics - again, this is just my opinion and bias, but I believe the focus on athletics, not academics, detracts from the education here. My colleagues in RI could not believe that students get school credit for practicing with their teams here. That teams practice during the school day, as part of their academic schedule.

5. Less rigorous standards - I realize that is nebulous, so let me give you a few examples of what I mean. Texas *seems* to have strict laws about attendance, ie you must attend 90% of your class hours to get credit. The reality of that is that many students can simply "make up" hours in Saturday detention, Nova nights (after school hours tutorials), etc, to count for that. I have students that I won't see for 2 weeks, but there are very little academic repercussions - do you know that I must still accept all their make-up work, even if they are skipping (I'm not talking about illness). We had a strict policy in RI that if students skipped class, they took a zero on whatever was done that day. That is not the case here. Guess what...students skip constantly.

6. The 10% rule - I realize that is impacting higher education more than secondary, but I experienced it firsthand while working at UT. The 10% rule is setting many kids up to fail. I can't tell you how many students I worked with at UT who came from very small, rural communities with no AP resources, less rigorous academics, etc, who had no idea how to survive the pace at UT. Meanwhile, you have kids who are in the top 20 or 30% at competitive high schools who are denied access and much more qualified. I think the intention of the 10% rule is noble, but it didn't work. It just didn't, and everyone from the head of UT to the professors to the academic advisors acknowledge that.

7. As for the science curriculum that was mentioned on the other thread - it looks like (based on an initial vote 2 weeks ago) that will be overturned. Yes, they teach "intelligent design" here in Texas (a creative way of saying creationism) but I don't believe that will be done much longer.

8. Lack of freedom in curriculum - "curriculum in a can" is popular here. Most districts have very strict rules about what you can and cannot teach. I understand there need to be guidelines, goals and alignment, but I was shocked to find just how little freedom teachers have here to be creative and teach what they want to teach. I am used to having a few major assignments and 1 or 2 novels a year that were " standard" - other than that, my principal/district administration trusted and had faith that the teachers would do their jobs well. Here, I am told exactly what to teach each 6 weeks - what assignments, what novels (and yes, I am shocked at some of what is banned! Very sad. ) what assessments, etc. It's a little soul crushing, to be honest.

Off the top of my head, those are my top pet peeves. Again, I realize that sounds like I'm "bashing" Texas, but that was not my intent. I was responding to the request to share my observations.

With that said, let me also say that I fully recognize that comparing Texas to the New England states is comparing apples to oranges. We simply don't struggle with the same issues that Texas does, and I know that. We have smaller (and more stable) student populations, and more money, as well as a long history of strong public education practices. So as to the query for solutions - I don't have any easy answers. I have applied to the PhD in education program at UT for next year, so maybe I'll research and write a dissertation about possible solutions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 03:05 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,175,792 times
I would submit that the 10% rule works better for diverse city schools, maybe not for small rural schools.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:20 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,110,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I would submit that the 10% rule works better for diverse city schools, maybe not for small rural schools.
But it is the backing of lawmakers from rural districts that keeps top 10% law. It is going to be hard as heck to get rid of it.

I do not disagree with any thing that you said! Too great a reliance on high-stakes testing and too big class size -- these are the main reasons that my kids go to private school.

Then, two of my kids are dyslexic. To qualify for additional support in the public system, we would have to wait until they fell three grade levels behind in reading!! (Then it is a disability). Three grade levels is immense! By that time, kids are discouraged learners, not to mention that the faster that you can intervene, the greater chance that they will catch up. And indeed, with small classes, individualized curriculum, and specific reading interventions and support, my dyslexic 5th grader now reads on an 8th grade level.

Anyway, you are right on! Texas has been a low tax, low service state and that includes education.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:24 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,910,798 times
Tracey, you went to Providence College? I did my undergrad at Brown University in Providence. Grad and law i did in NYC

I went to Public HS in DFW area, it was good and got me into an Ivy and i know others who went to Princeton and Harvard from Arlington ISD.

I wouldnt send my kids to public for the social, moral issues but i think the education was ok at least up there and in the 80s. so i cant talka bout Austin Public Schools for education reasons, i can only talk about other Texas schools

Old 02-11-2009, 03:29 PM

447 posts, read 1,850,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
Tracey, you went to Providence College? I did my undergrad at Brown University in Providence. Grad and law i did in NYC

I went to Public HS in DFW area, it was good and got me into an Ivy and i know others who went to Princeton and Harvard from Arlington ISD.

I wouldnt send my kids to public for the social, moral issues but i think the education was ok at least up there and in the 80s. so i cant talka bout Austin Public Schools for education reasons, i can only talk about other Texas schools
Hey, someone else who knows Providence! I did my undergrad at Georgetown University, but yes, I went to Providence College for my 2nd Master's degree. I'll always go Hoyas over Friars, though. I love the area around Brown - it's beautiful.

My best friends live up by Dallas (Plano, Allen and Richardson) and one of my friends taught in Plano ISD. She swears to me that I will be more impressed with Plano ISD. I'm not sure...I'm feeling very disillusioned right now, but it's a possibility for us to relocate up there. We're going to see what happens with my husband's job situation, and my PhD application.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:32 PM

no way, i did a second masters in education, taught in an international school in Central America for two years though, couldnt take the US government regs and union crap in New York.

Plano was one of the best school districts in the nation in the 80s, that and Dallas Highland Park--dont know what its like now

Old 02-11-2009, 03:33 PM

5,870 posts, read 11,934,139 times
My step-son was in special ed and I actually had a SE resource tell me "It's not our job to teach them, it's our job to pass them". Sad. Very sad.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:35 PM

thats sick

Old 02-11-2009, 03:39 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,602,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traceyr13 View Post
I had a couple people on another thread ask me for my perspective on Texas education. My background: I have a Master's degree in Secondary English education from Boston College, and a Master's degree in School Counseling from Providence College. I spent 1 year teaching in a private school in MA, then 8 years at the top ranked public high school in Rhode Island - 4 years teaching English and 4 years as a school counselor. Since moving to Texas, I worked at UT as an academic advisor, as a school counselor in Hutto, and am now an English teacher at an undisclosed suburban location.

Please note - these are only one person's opinions, and NOT meant to bash or sneer Texas. I love living here, even though I'm very frustrated and unhappy with the state of public education in this state.

Specific problems I am encountering here that I did not experience in other states:

1. Over-reliance on standardized testing. It is no secret that Texas teachers teach to the TAKS test. I'm in no way blaming the teachers - I see firsthand how, to administration, everything is about the scores. I am finding my seniors have no analytical writing skills at all (analyzing text, utilizing textual evidence and quotes to support a thesis, etc). I have discussed this with my colleagues, both in my school and at others, and was told "they don't have to do that on the TAKS test, so we don't emphasize this". To me, I see a direct correlation between this, and the significant percentage of students who do not matriculate beyond their first year in college in Texas. How do these kids survive in college? My 3rd grade son has been practicing for the TAKS all year long. I see a real lack of critical thinking skills in my seniors here that I did not see in the Northeast, and I truly believe part of that is due to "teach to the test" mentality here.

2. Incredibly large class sizes. I teach 6 classes, and have a student load of 170 students. I teach senior English. My workload is ridiculously overwhelming, so much so that I do not anticipate continuing in the classroom next year. I always taught 5 classes, and my largest class ever was 28 students, with most 22-24. The first 3 weeks of classes, I had students sitting at my desk, and then on the floor. I could not even get administration to bring me enough desks for my room until the 3rd week of school. There is a very high turnover rate in Texas for teachers as compared to New England states. Speaking of that -

3. Lack of incentive/support for teachers here. I took a 10,000 dollar paycut moving here. I understand it's a lower cost of living, but that is a lot of money. I teach in a "good" district here, and just under 25% of teachers in the entire district have a Master's degree. Nearly 3/4 of teachers had Master's degrees in my RI district. I receive an extra 1500 dollars for my Master's degree here, and nearly 4000 dollars for the degree in RI. Please understand, I'm not complaining about money (I don't teach for the money) but I feel it reflects the attitude in Texas that education is not prioritized.

3. Lack of special education resources. I have been told by several colleagues that, as a statewide initiative, Texas did away with resource classes last year. I have several special education students who never even see their caseworkers. Yes, they are in inclusion classes, but the poor special education teachers can't possibly meet their needs, as they are overwhelmed. Special education students met in groups of 4 or 5 with their resource teachers for one period every other day in my other school.

4. Focus on athletics - again, this is just my opinion and bias, but I believe the focus on athletics, not academics, detracts from the education here. My colleagues in RI could not believe that students get school credit for practicing with their teams here. That teams practice during the school day, as part of their academic schedule.

5. Less rigorous standards - I realize that is nebulous, so let me give you a few examples of what I mean. Texas *seems* to have strict laws about attendance, ie you must attend 90% of your class hours to get credit. The reality of that is that many students can simply "make up" hours in Saturday detention, Nova nights (after school hours tutorials), etc, to count for that. I have students that I won't see for 2 weeks, but there are very little academic repercussions - do you know that I must still accept all their make-up work, even if they are skipping (I'm not talking about illness). We had a strict policy in RI that if students skipped class, they took a zero on whatever was done that day. That is not the case here. Guess what...students skip constantly.

6. The 10% rule - I realize that is impacting higher education more than secondary, but I experienced it firsthand while working at UT. The 10% rule is setting many kids up to fail. I can't tell you how many students I worked with at UT who came from very small, rural communities with no AP resources, less rigorous academics, etc, who had no idea how to survive the pace at UT. Meanwhile, you have kids who are in the top 20 or 30% at competitive high schools who are denied access and much more qualified. I think the intention of the 10% rule is noble, but it didn't work. It just didn't, and everyone from the head of UT to the professors to the academic advisors acknowledge that.

7. As for the science curriculum that was mentioned on the other thread - it looks like (based on an initial vote 2 weeks ago) that will be overturned. Yes, they teach "intelligent design" here in Texas (a creative way of saying creationism) but I don't believe that will be done much longer.

8. Lack of freedom in curriculum - "curriculum in a can" is popular here. Most districts have very strict rules about what you can and cannot teach. I understand there need to be guidelines, goals and alignment, but I was shocked to find just how little freedom teachers have here to be creative and teach what they want to teach. I am used to having a few major assignments and 1 or 2 novels a year that were " standard" - other than that, my principal/district administration trusted and had faith that the teachers would do their jobs well. Here, I am told exactly what to teach each 6 weeks - what assignments, what novels (and yes, I am shocked at some of what is banned! Very sad. ) what assessments, etc. It's a little soul crushing, to be honest.

Off the top of my head, those are my top pet peeves. Again, I realize that sounds like I'm "bashing" Texas, but that was not my intent. I was responding to the request to share my observations.

With that said, let me also say that I fully recognize that comparing Texas to the New England states is comparing apples to oranges. We simply don't struggle with the same issues that Texas does, and I know that. We have smaller (and more stable) student populations, and more money, as well as a long history of strong public education practices. So as to the query for solutions - I don't have any easy answers. I have applied to the PhD in education program at UT for next year, so maybe I'll research and write a dissertation about possible solutions.
This is worth a re-read.

I knew of a woman who had her master's in eduction; a teacher in texas. The stress of the administration got to her; she's now a cleaning woman by choice. Need I say more.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:54 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,292,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traceyr13 View Post
I see a real lack of critical thinking skills in my seniors here that I did not see in the Northeast,
LOL, not surprising when you think about which state gave George W. Bush his start in politics!

By the way, which books are banned?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin