Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 07:33 PM

3 posts, read 13,768 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a capable and reputable Austin pool contractor? thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 08:34 PM

56 posts, read 555,909 times
Default Swimming pool in Austin

I would like to piggy back on your queston.

Speaking of pools in Austin,, how many months can you reasonably expect to use a pool, based on the weather? Is it something you can use year around, or are there a few months when heating become impractical except for the the very wealthy,,,??

Old 03-16-2007, 10:00 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,280,234 times
You definitely can't use a pool here year round without heating it. Our pool is VERY cold right now, and with the cold snaps that we had this winter, heck, our pool had a film of ice on top at points!

I think it depends upon your tolerance of cold. Our community pool here opens in May and is not heated; apparently it's very cold in May to swim in it but by June it's fine. I'd say you can count on using it without heat from June through September (September probably gets a little iffy). We will probably heat our pool starting in late April for a month or so, and then maybe for a month in Octoberish.

The heating cost will also depend on your type of pool heater and how large your pool is. We had an over 30,000 gallon pool in Arizona and when we tried to heat it for a week at Christmas, the gas company knocked on our door because they thought we had a gas leak!

Old 03-19-2007, 09:49 AM

27 posts, read 114,357 times
Good pool contractors are few and far between. I just built a home in Kingsland and my client used Summit Pools (out of Round Rock, I think). These guys were the best I've seen, I think they have a 30 day time guarantee (that they'll finish the job in 30 days).

Good Luck!

Old 03-19-2007, 01:17 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Unfortunately, you get what you pay for....some of the more expensive (such as Cody Pools) tend to get better 'reviews', although all contractors seem to have their issues at one time or another.

Without heating, you can probably use your pool May through September, or even October. Heating is exepensive unless you are just trying to take the worst chill out of the water. Heating until completely comfortable can easily cost $1,000/month in the dead of the winter (of course, depends on size and temperature).

Old 04-19-2007, 07:07 PM

6 posts, read 125,668 times
I used Premier Fiberglass and installed a Leisure Pool. It is stunning! Great customer service, quick time frame - 3 weeks, very little maintenance, the list goes on. I was very skeptical because I have owned gunite pools and an above ground. The Fiberglass seemed to good to be true, but I had been the other routes before. Pricing wasn't as steep as gunite, but a lot less to maintain. -- I'd give them a call for an estimate. Hope this helps!

Old 04-24-2007, 09:43 AM

1 posts, read 6,972 times
I am thinking of getting a fiberglass pool and wanted to see what the monthly upkeep / operation cost is and if you are happy with the product.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:51 AM

389 posts, read 1,571,609 times
A freind of ours used a solar heating setup for his pool and I must say its outstanding! They swim well into november. Properly installed it can also cool the house, they set it up on the roof , taking heat away from the roof and sending it to the pool!

G

Old 06-28-2007, 05:57 PM

6 posts, read 125,668 times
Hey Ausdean,

I've been out of pocket. The upkeep is NOTHING, seriously we hardly have to do anything to maintain the pool. Our Electric went up about $20.00 a month, and so far we have only used a two gallons of shock in the pool for extra chemicals. We put a salt system in though. I would recommend the salt system to anybody. It's worth the extra money.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:50 PM

443 posts, read 1,541,567 times
So, stupid question... is it possible to get an in-ground pool for around 10k, or is it much, much more than that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin