Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 01:14 PM

264 posts, read 1,001,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulmmm View Post
You are one sweet-talking transplant, AT. If you keep this up, people are going to think we're having an affair or something.

I never said you referred to other Texans as transplants. You're arguing against something you made up, and still losing. But since I know it's important for you to have your last insulting, hate-filled post, have at it. I'm not going to waste any more of my (or other posters') time playing this game with you any more. I just wanted to let those new posters who weren't subjected to your ravings in the past know that for all the vitriol you spew about people moving to Austin from someplace else and ruining your fair city with their negative attitudes and unfriendliness, that you did just that yourself. The funny thing is that you use the word "transplant" as an insult, but sane people use it just as a factual description. So when you call me a transplant, it doesn't insult me like you think it should. It would be like calling me Irish or calling me a basketball player. It's not a big deal; it's just a fact. So maybe you should embrace the word to yourself, too, and stop making it sound like you are in charge of who and what is allowed in Austin when.

And I aplogize to everyone who read my postings on this topic. I should have learned my lesson 6 months ago about AT and his attitude. I won't let it happen again, I promise.

And while I'm sure you won't believe this, AT, I really do hope you get better. All that mental anguish, resentment, and hate that you carry around with you just can't be good for your health. If you want, I can recommend a great acupuncturist in San Francisco who's about to move to Austin.
Whatever you say big boy. You've already wasted everyone's time by posting on this thread about how I'm a transplant, when I was born and raised in Austin. I left to live with my divorced dad for 5 years and then came back to attend UT and have lived here ever since. I've lived in Austin about 32 years. That's not a transplant, but since you're a little slower than most, whatever you say. I never said I was in charge of who moved to Austin, my rants have been about how much I hate how much Austin is changing because of all the transplants moving here "in search of a bigger home, lower cost of living, a job, etc." It's not just the growth, it's the super-growth and the city's inability to keep up with it that's causing all the problems! Yes, there are a lot of rude people who move here (mostly Californians, and why you've been strereotyped the most), but I've met a lot of very friendly and productive transplants as well. This thread was about how I've noticed a few states such as Ohio and Georgia that seem to have the most amount of people moving here. California is hands down where most people are moving here from (and it makes me sick because I despise that state more than any other, not just because of it's liberal ways, but because of the rude and obnoxious people who live there), but I've noticed a huge increase in northern license plates everywhere I go.

Another thing, most of you transplants will never fully understand or get the "pride thing" that Texans have. You'll never hear of a Texan moving to California or wherever else and not identifying themselves as a Texan, no matter how long they live there. And on the flip side, it seems as if everyone wants to identify themselves as a Texan, just because they move here. Most of you, will never get it. Texans know what I'm saying and transplants think they understand and try to argue about why they are "Texans now", when they're not. Texans would never move to another state and try to be considered "Floridians, Californians, Georgians, etc."....it just won't happen. Hopefully, for some of you, you'll understand, but for most, I know you won't and so go ahead and keep calling yourself a "Texan" because you live here now. LOL!!

Old 03-11-2009, 01:17 PM

273 posts, read 342,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
I dare anyone to tell me not to wear my Steeler jerseys when I move! And BTW...living in Texas for almost 20 years--you're a Texan! Don't let anyone tell you differently. AT is ONE person, not the DICTATOR OF TEXAS, to say who you are, where you can live, what you can call yourself!
I think AT started this thread, so he might be getting emails when there is a post, which is why he continues to respond. Like I said, I do consider myself, my husband and kids (age 2 and newborn when we arrived) Texans. AT can't have it both ways, insisting people behave like Texans but can never be Texans. As I said before, I have paid taxes here, voted here (in more elections than I did in NY), I reside here, I have a Texas drivers license: I am Texan. I don't at all consider AT the final arbitor of who is Texan.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
And BTW...living in Texas for almost 20 years--you're a Texan! Don't let anyone tell you differently. AT is ONE person, not the DICTATOR OF TEXAS, to say who you are, where you can live, what you can call yourself!
When you move down here, go ahead and ask real Texans what makes them a Texan. I guarantee you, most will tell you that you have to have been born here to be considered a Texan. A transplant telling other transplants that they're a Texan because they moved here is hilarious, at best. It's not about being a dictator, it's about educating those of you who obviously don't know crap about this state, other than that it's a cheaper place to live and somewhere you can afford a "big home."

texasgirl@heart, you'll never be considered a Texan by anyone other than fellow transplants. How does that feel? LOL!!

Old 03-11-2009, 01:24 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,373,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTexan View Post
Trust me, if I did own the state of Texas, you and the rest of the wannabees wouldn't be allowed to move here. I hope your house never sells by the way.
Quote:
Whatever you say big boy. You've already wasted everyone's time by posting on this thread about how I'm a transplant, when I was born and raised in Austin. I left to live with my divorced dad for 5 years and then came back to attend UT and have lived here ever since. I've lived in Austin about 32 years. That's not a transplant, but since you're a little slower than most, whatever you say. I never said I was in charge of who moved to Austin, my rants have been about how much I hate how much Austin is changing because of all the transplants moving here "in search of a bigger home, lower cost of living, a job, etc." It's not just the growth, it's the super-growth and the city's inability to keep up with it that's causing all the problems! Yes, there are a lot of rude people who move here (mostly Californians, and why you've been strereotyped the most), but I've met a lot of very friendly and productive transplants as well. This thread was about how I've noticed a few states such as Ohio and Georgia that seem to have the most amount of people moving here. California is hands down where most people are moving here from (and it makes me sick because I despise that state more than any other, not just because of it's liberal ways, but because of the rude and obnoxious people who live there), but I've noticed a huge increase in northern license plates everywhere I go.

Another thing, most of you transplants will never fully understand or get the "pride thing" that Texans have. You'll never hear of a Texan moving to California or wherever else and not identifying themselves as a Texan, no matter how long they live there. And on the flip side, it seems as if everyone wants to identify themselves as a Texan, just because they move here. Most of you, will never get it. Texans know what I'm saying and transplants think they understand and try to argue about why they are "Texans now", when they're not. Texans would never move to another state and try to be considered "Floridians, Californians, Georgians, etc."....it just won't happen. Hopefully, for some of you, you'll understand, but for most, I know you won't and so go ahead and keep calling yourself a "Texan" because you live here now. LOL!!
Enough said! Don't get mad at out of staters moving somewhere else where they can have a better life with a lower cost of living, more house for their money. Get mad at your city officials who can't keep up with the infrastructure to support more people. Instead of sitting in front of your computer banging out your rants...get off your butt and do your research so that when election time rolls around you can vote out the officials who are not doing the city of Austin justice.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:27 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,373,524 times
Quote:
When you move down here, go ahead and ask real Texans what makes them a Texan. I guarantee you, most will tell you that you have to have been born here to be considered a Texan. A transplant telling other transplants that they're a Texan because they moved here is hilarious, at best. It's not about being a dictator, it's about educating those of you who obviously don't know crap about this state, other than that it's a cheaper place to live and somewhere you can afford a "big home."

texasgirl@heart, you'll never be considered a Texan by anyone other than fellow transplants. How does that feel? LOL!!
I got news for you little boy...There are 3 people on this forum alone who are born and bred Texans who have told me "git on down here, cause you're one of us, a Texan!" I don't care 2 beans what you think I am or not. I don't need educated by you either. I have been coming to Texas for over 14 years--I know all about that state.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chauncy View Post
I think AT started this thread, so he might be getting emails when there is a post, which is why he continues to respond. Like I said, I do consider myself, my husband and kids (age 2 and newborn when we arrived) Texans. AT can't have it both ways, insisting people behave like Texans but can never be Texans. As I said before, I have paid taxes here, voted here (in more elections than I did in NY), I reside here, I have a Texas drivers license: I am Texan. I don't at all consider AT the final arbitor of who is Texan.
Typical Yankee, I'm a Texan because I pay money here and because it says so on my drivers license. LOL!! That's good.....

New Yorkers, like Californians, are probably the least likely people on this earth that can move to Texas and call themselves Texans. That's virtually impossible. New Yorkers and Californians are truly so opposite of Texans, that it's not even worth discussing. The 2 times I've been to New York, I've never felt so out of place in my life. From the restaurants to the hotels, I didn't meet one friendly person while I was there. Most people look at you like you're crazy for trying to start a conversation with them, others just walk away. Sorry chauncy, you're a Yankee living in Texas, no matter how much money in taxes you pay here. LOL!! Good try though.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:32 PM

273 posts, read 342,876 times
Quote:
Typical Yankee, I'm a Texan because I pay money here and because it says so on my drivers license. LOL!! That's good.....

New Yorkers, like Californians, are probably the least likely people on this earth that can move to Texas and call themselves Texans. That's virtually impossible. New Yorkers and Californians are truly so opposite of Texans, that it's not even worth discussing. The 2 times I've been to New York, I've never felt so out of place in my life. From the restaurants to the hotels, I didn't meet one friendly person while I was there. Most people look at you like you're crazy for trying to start a conversation with them, others just walk away. Sorry chauncy, you're a Yankee living in Texas, no matter how much money in taxes you pay here. LOL!! Good try though.
Well, let me put it this way, the state of Texas, Travis county and the city of Austin all recognize me as Texan, nuff said.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I got news for you little boy...There are 3 people on this forum alone who are born and bred Texans who have told me "git on down here, cause you're one of us, a Texan!" I don't care 2 beans what you think I am or not. I don't need educated by you either. I have been coming to Texas for over 14 years--I know all about that state.
Whoooaaahh!! 3 whole people on this board want you to move here? And they think you're a Texan? Well, not every Texan is educated, obviously. Why don't you just stay where you're at and keep visiting? It seems to have worked for you so far. That's one less transplant crowding our streets, amongst other things.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chauncy View Post
Well, let me put it this way, the state of Texas, Travis county and the city of Austin all recognize me as Texan, nuff said.
Wrong, they recognize you as a paying citizen of this state, not as a Texan. The title of being a "Texan" isn't handed to you for moving here or paying taxes, it's the definition of a person who was born here. Do some research before opening your silly mouth. nuff said.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:35 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,704,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchoverme View Post
People like you blow my mind. Wannabee Texans? If that's what you want to consider it. Many of us move to Texas for the warm weather and good economy. It's not nearly as flattering as you portray it to be, it's simply an intelligent decision to move from some of the more dying states to the more booming ones. People move to new states all the time- they follow the economy just to put food on their table. It's happened for years and your state is not particularly special. Many many of the southern states with stronger economies are experiencing a trend of in-migration, just as many northern states did years ago. It baffles me how some people cannot have an appreciative attitude of, 'I'm so glad you enjoy our state, I hope you come to love the things about it that we love.' Why spend so much time being so negative? I cannot even picture having that kind of attitude and then looking back on my life and the end of it and feeling good about it. I can't help but think of the people who are from cities and states in such a dire economic situation and wondering how they feel to hear people actually COMPLAINING that people find their state desirable to move to. Blows my mind...

Anyway, every state booms at different times. Today is Texas' turn. One day when Texas fills up, and as the population grows at a steady rate, everyone will be moving out to places even more remote like Utah for instance, and Texas will look back and be thankful for the economy and population boom that the state, regardless of the opinions of naive natives, experienced and benefitted from.

Hopefully there won't be folks from Utah at that point who are as tactless about the population and economy boom they will receive. And yet of course there will be... there are people like that in every bunch Even beautiful, friendly Texas.
If you just look at what has happened to California, you'll know why Texans are concerned. Over-population...too many people..everywhere!, severe traffic problems, prices go up and up. Before you know it, you have two classes of people: the very rich, and the very poor who are often subsidized. Over-population translates to over-development. Too many poorly made ticky-tack houses (allah Home Depot) destroying natural landscape.

I don't think Utah has anything to worry about because people often get turned off by areas infiltrated by religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin