Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 06:07 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
That is such a inane statement.
Texans can be very provincial people at times which leads to people being annoyed with them. Austin is growing and people need to get over it. If people want to go to small town, go to Fredericksburg or something. But Austin is no longer the city that some people identified with in the 1970s anymore. It's time for people like AustinTexan to get over it.

To all Ohioans, Georgians, Californians, New Yorkers, Illinoisians, Michiganders, Pennsylvanians, and other Southerners, WELCOME TO TEXAS and I hope you all keep coming.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:08 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,373,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I have to defend TGH. I'd much rather see jobs go to transplants who are legal, hardworking American citizens no matter their heritage than to Illegals being hired by companies who are just looking at hiring people for next to nothing just so they can take more money home and in the process abuse the illegal as well..ie, don't offer benefits, pay under the table, no workers comp and on and on.
Thanks LR--tried to rep you, but I couldn't because I just did yesterday!

Old 03-08-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Texans can be very provincial people at times which leads to people being annoyed with them. Austin is growing and people need to get over it. If people want to go to small town, go to Fredericksburg or something. But Austin is no longer the city that some people identified with in the 1970s anymore. It's time for people like AustinTexan to get over it.

To all Ohioans, Georgians, Californians, New Yorkers, Illinoisians, Michiganders, Pennsylvanians, and other Southerners, WELCOME TO TEXAS and I hope you all keep coming.
Thanks Spade!

Old 03-08-2009, 10:46 PM

18 posts, read 46,554 times
You shouldn't be so quick to crucify people coming to live in Austin. Some of us are business owners looking to relocate our businesses there. Which means this would help the economy and we would be hiring people. I don't think that sounds bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTexan View Post
So you're an ex-Austinite? Figures. You have no clue what all this migration here is really doing to our city. You think it's good for our kids to be in overcrowded classrooms? Why don't you talk to some real native Austinites and see what they think about all this growth? Our hill country is being torn down and replaced with condos, strip malls, and shopping centers, and it's malarkey? Our downtown is being built up with high rise condos that ruined the landscape of cities like Miami, and it's malarkey? It sounds like you need a wake up call. Next time you're jobless and are competing with 50 other people from out of state for the same position, stop and think about this "malarkey" we discussed because I know several people who can't even land a teaching position and are competing with all these transplants coming here for the few openings available. When our kids graduate high school and are looking to attend a state college or university, guess what? They'll be competing with all these transplants for a spot at those schools as well.

Steady population growth is healthy and good for a lot of reasons.....population booms like what we're seeing in Austin and around Texas is NOT GOOD!! Look what it did to California. California is an overcrowded, overpriced, dump. Period. Those same people who made California the dump it is today are now headed to Texas to do the same. Not only that, but all their cousins, friends, and family from up North are joining in. As much as people use to hate on Texas in years past, those same people sure can't get here fast enough. Texas has now become the "in thing, the place to live" and everyone wants their piece of the pie. Hopefully, the recession will help keep a lot of the would be transplants from being able to afford the move here and local companies will really start to enforce the "hire locally first" slogan. I know a lot of companies already do so, I just wish every company would hire locals and Texans first before even considering someone from out of state.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:39 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
Quote:

Amen, Spade!!!

Old 03-09-2009, 03:57 PM

264 posts, read 1,001,442 times
Quote:

Get over yourself. You're probably a transplant, which would make sense. To all the people the transplant welcomed here, please find another state to overpopulate and ruin. There are no jobs here and I hope the local businesses will hire Texans first and then only as a last resort, will hire someone from out of state. I know a lot of businesses already do so, I just wish ALL OF THEM would do it. We need to take care of our own first! Period.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:55 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasofia View Post
You shouldn't be so quick to crucify people coming to live in Austin. Some of us are business owners looking to relocate our businesses there. Which means this would help the economy and we would be hiring people. I don't think that sounds bad.

Speaking of which, I saw an Ohio license plate on a company truck here in Hutto on my way to the eye doctor.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:53 PM

160 posts, read 365,808 times
I am a native Austinite (born in Seton Hospital) and I can not disagree with AustinTexan more. Austin has changed and a lot of it is for the better. All the new bars and resturants I find are great. The new development downtown is creating an exciting, walkable, and liveable central city. And I have definately made new friends from out of state as well (Michigan, Illinois, Kentucky and Wisconsin).

Old 03-09-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Get over yourself. You're probably a transplant, which would make sense. To all the people the transplant welcomed here, please find another state to overpopulate and ruin. There are no jobs here and I hope the local businesses will hire Texans first and then only as a last resort, will hire someone from out of state. I know a lot of businesses already do so, I just wish ALL OF THEM would do it. We need to take care of our own first! Period.
AustinTexan, practice what you preach!

Old 03-09-2009, 07:35 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:

Nope. Not a transplant. Try again. Oh and I love the crying that you're doing in the rest of your post. It's hilarious. Oh and I second THG's post. Practice what you preach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin