Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2009, 01:16 PM

19 posts, read 59,288 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to join a yoga class. I'd like to be able to go 3-5 times a week, but it would need to be something relatively inexpensive. Moving across country by yourself really isnt friendly on the wallet.

I live in South Austin, but I work downtown, so anywhere in between would be fine.

I've only been in Austin for a few weeks, and I don't know a single person. I'm trying to put myself out there to meet people, but it's not exactly as easy as it seems. Any other ideas?

As much as I'm loving the quality time I am spending with my dogs, they are starting to talk back, so I'm beginning to get worried about my sanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 02:23 PM

5 posts, read 15,123 times
I live in S. Austin w/ my girlfriend too, she loves her yoga - it's a place down here called 'Yoga Yoga' I believe.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:14 PM

399 posts, read 974,709 times
I recently heard someone speak highly of Dharma Yoga on Guadalupe. Website is here: Dharma Yoga - Hatha Yoga classes Vinyasa Yoga class Austin Texas

Looks like it's $15 a class - I dunno what your budget is. I'm not too terribly familiar with yoga, but I have friends who are.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:42 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
You might also want to check Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup.com and see if there are any Yoga meetups on there, or, for that matter, meetups about any other interest you might have. It's a good way to meet peoplel when you're new to town (or when you've lived here for 40 years like I have).

Old 03-05-2009, 04:58 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,774,935 times
I don't know about Austin, but Hughley Hospital in south Fort Worth has a huge physical fitness center and it has relatively cheap monthly dues and they have loads of classes on everything from yoga to spinning and also a huge indoor swimming pool. I understand some of the other hospitals in Fort worth offer something similar although Hughley is the largest. I would check with the area hospitals in Austin and see if they have anything like this to offer. I know the staff is extremely friendly at Hughley and maybe that tends to help the patrons be more friendly, I don't know, but it's easy to meet people and everyone is friendly.

p.s. You can volunteer 4 hours a week at the hospital and your membership is free (this is Hughley, of course) and I know a lady who does that and she really likes it. Said she has met some very nice people doing it and and really enjoys it, plus free membership to the gym. win-win situation. Check them out down in Austin, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't offer something similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin