Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 01:43 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,435,039 times

Advertisements

No, not joking, it's just my honest opinion. If you house stuff in your garage, then you have too much stuff. That is what Craigslist is for. Why keep it if you don't use it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
You're not serious are you? If you are I would be more than willing to accommodate your request if you are paying our house payment, taxes, and insurance. Also, if you would like to I wouldn't mind if you purchased us a home with an attic. Then you're in a position to tell us how to live. But you were just joking...right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 01:57 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
Give how they had to chisel our pool out of limestone, a basement isn't needed and is very expensive. Basements exist because of frost levels mainly. I bet our front level is about 1 mm.
Yup! It is the frost level that makes a basement advantageous up north. Not an issue here plus you have either two centimeters of soil over limestone bedrock, or expansive clay, or some other nasty mix of soil. Pier and beam! That is the foundation for Texas, so much better than slab.

Store stuff in the attic, garage, shed, or rent a storage unit or re-think your attachment to your stuff.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:33 AM

2 posts, read 4,165 times
Thanks for you replies,
I just like walk out basements because its an option to finish it off and put a a playroom or home gym there. Here in Mass a basement is handy because we need to store all our outdoor thing such as patio sets, kids outdoor toys, strollers etc, lawn mowers etc. someplace during the winter. Texas living is appealing because of the warm/hot weather and less need for seasonal storage. I have no big attachment to stuff and I am the queen of purging junk. Don't worry...I do plan on parking our vehicles in the garage. I might even shut the garage doors too

I have also seen the real estate prices. Wow! With no state income tax in TX vs. the high real estate taxes I guess it would be a wash for us.

What is the price range to have a nice pool installed out there? With 4 little boys it might be a worthwhile investment for those hot Austin summers.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:41 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
No, not joking, it's just my honest opinion. If you house stuff in your garage, then you have too much stuff. That is what Craigslist is for. Why keep it if you don't use it?
I think the point was you are assuming that everyone should share your opinion- or at least live by it. There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with parking your vehicle in your driveway, except for matters of personal taste. That's whether it's because your garage is full of stuff or not. (There are other reasons for parking your vehicle in your own driveway that you paid for, after all.)

It's this kind of attitude that gets HOAs a bad name as Stepford communities that should look like they are on the cover of a magazine rather than places where people live.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:06 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,095,507 times
There are a few builders that have finished walk-out basements. But they are very rare, and are priced accordingly. The last one I heard of was in the Cedar Park area.

Steiner is a great community. However, I would recommend Circle C in SW Austin. Time to airport will be about 20 minutes...30 in traffic. The community is EXTREMELY family friendly. Just far enough S, that you get that 'burb feeling, but groceries, sports for the kids, golf, schools, etc., is never more than 10 minutes.

Traffic will be a bear, it will really depend on where you work when coming down to the intricacies of each community.

Now as you go up the price scale there is always my favorite of Spanish Oaks, where you live the lifestyle...if you know what I mean. The homes are grand, the community is super involved and there are tons, and I mean tons of things to do for adults and kids. Shopping (grocery) is relatively close and there is a new mall that is also within easy reach (4 mi. I believe). The scenery is unmatched anywhere, the golf course is one of the best in Texas (but hard), and the overall feel is one of luxury. The downsides...well highway 71, is the ONLY way to reach the development and until they expand the highway it will always be a little dangerous entering/exiting the development anywhere other than the main entrance. The schools are not far, but not close either. TRAFFIC to and from SO.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:10 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,095,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texashorselady View Post
i think the point was you are assuming that everyone should share your opinion- or at least live by it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with parking your vehicle in your driveway, except for matters of personal taste. That's whether it's because your garage is full of stuff or not. (there are other reasons for parking your vehicle in your own driveway that you paid for, after all.)

it's this kind of attitude that gets hoas a bad name as stepford communities that should look like they are on the cover of a magazine rather than places where people live.
+1,000

Old 03-18-2009, 08:12 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
I vote for SW Austin, Circle C. Coming from the NE, you might even like the more expansive country feel of Dripping Springs, which has Belterra, Highpoint, as well as some older more rural 1+ acre neighborhoods.

With regard to the commenter about storing junk:
Quote:
There are subdivisions, such as River Place, that mandate garage parking. Out of town guests have to have a parking permit to park in the driveway overnight. And you have a tight window of time to take out and pull back in your garbage can, which also must be concealed from view except on trash day. This is a perfect place to live if you want to be around like-minded people.

What usually happens in the highly restrictive HOA communities is that regular folks don't mind the rules until they slip up once and get the warning letter. Something about warning letters (i.e. Violation Notice) rubs people the wrong way and suddenly the rules don't seem do great, especially when you start getting fined after the 2nd or 3rd time.

Steve.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:02 AM

152 posts, read 850,510 times
How about River Place off 2222. It has lots of parks, trail, country club and if I'm not mistaken small lake within the community. Check their website. I heard the school district is great. Also the view is incredible from some of the areas. It's an older community, but looks like a good community.

Definitely worth driving around to get a sense of the area. IMHO I like the feel better than Steiner Ranch even though is newer, it is too large of a community.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:19 AM

433 posts, read 1,658,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATXTransplant View Post
From Steiner not during rush hour, I can get to the airport via either 183 or 360/71 in 1/2 hour.
Steiner to the airport in 1/2 hour via 183 is not realistic. It takes a minimum of 10 minutes just to get to 183 from Steiner with all the lights. I can maybe buy 45 min under optimal conditions. Maybe 30 min using 360/71.

I live in Round Rock right off 620/45 near I35. I use the airport 6-8 times per year on business and I've never made it to the airport in 30 minutes. I always travel during off-peak hours (on purpose) and I've tried all the possible routes to the airport.

Last edited by pbnj07; 03-18-2009 at 09:40 AM..

Old 03-18-2009, 10:47 AM

7 posts, read 37,825 times
Default Teravista

Teravista is a newer community in Round Rock. I live there and it's fantastic! Has everything you could ask for. Round Rock is such a great city to live in when it comes to family. It's also near several great preschools, including Montessori schools (my family uses Sunrise Montessori). We also have a child at Teravista Elementary and it has the best PTA! I admit, I don't know as much about Steiner Ranch as so many wrote up above. What I do know: Steiner Ranch is beautiful but more expensive than other communities and is on the west side of the Austin area. Most people with young families live in the North central cities, like Round Rock, Cedar Park, North Austin areas. All areas of Austin have something to offer and everyone has to find what is right for them. I would highly recommend you come and tour the areas to see what is right for you. Good luck and welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin