Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 05:55 PM

137 posts, read 372,269 times

Advertisements

Was interested in seeing your post. My husband was born in Austin, joined the Air Force and moved away but he will be a texan4life!! (Texas Proud!) I am from Arizona, so I am used to heat but DRY heat. We moved to Seattle, WA 2 years ago and I am so done with it here. Rain (no storms) Did I mention NO SUN? and no housing that is affordable in any area you would want to live in? My husband would love to move back to Texas, I,however, am concerned about the humidity. I have only been to Texas once in July and I do remember sweating alot. Is it hard to breathe? Do you get used to it or should I just forget about Texas. What is the job market like there,especially concerned with this economy. I have looked into Round Rock and Plugerville????? Any replies would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 07:11 PM

428 posts, read 1,065,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan4me View Post
Was interested in seeing your post. My husband was born in Austin, joined the Air Force and moved away but he will be a texan4life!! (Texas Proud!) I am from Arizona, so I am used to heat but DRY heat. We moved to Seattle, WA 2 years ago and I am so done with it here. Rain (no storms) Did I mention NO SUN? and no housing that is affordable in any area you would want to live in? My husband would love to move back to Texas, I,however, am concerned about the humidity. I have only been to Texas once in July and I do remember sweating alot. Is it hard to breathe? Do you get used to it or should I just forget about Texas. What is the job market like there,especially concerned with this economy. I have looked into Round Rock and Plugerville????? Any replies would be appreciated.
For what it's worth, the dew point in Phoenix last summer routinely hit 70+. At 112-115* that's just hideous. From what I understand in talking to people who have lived here many decades, it gets progressively more humid each year, due in part to swimming pools and the proliferation of people who moved here from the midwest & back east and feel the desert should have grass that they water daily...

Based on that, I don't think Austin could be that different in the way it feels. 95* and a dewpoint of 75 should feel better to 115* and a dewpoint of 70.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:13 PM

428 posts, read 1,065,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
Sounds good.
Don't do what I did - take the time to check out East RR/Pflugerville/Hutto border area. You have a lot more open space for less money out here, and LESS TRAFFIC and fewer people! Falcon Pointe, the Reserve at Westcreek, Riverwalk subdivisions are great for the price.
Thanks for the info. We're actually looking to avoid subdivisions, though and since we don't need to commute, going further out for 1-5 acres is very appealing at this stage in the game.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:16 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,292,634 times
What race are you and your husband? I'm just asking because you said he is from Mexico, but there are multiple races there.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:56 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,057,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
What race are you and your husband? I'm just asking because you said he is from Mexico, but there are multiple races there.
I'm white, he's hispanic.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
First off, I am so glad I made the move from Orange County, CA to the Austin area.

I'm breathing a bit easier due to a little more money in the bank (of course, cedar fever hasn't stricken yet!), I'm spreading out a bit more due to 1200 more square feet, and I'm enjoying the newness of getting to know a different area.

I live in Hutto, on the border of Round Rock and Pflugerville in a great, diverse neighborhood chock-full of kiddos - which is wonderful since I have two myself! My daughter's made friends already, and spends her afternoons playing on our cul-de-sac with them. She wants to buy a hippo for our front yard!

The people - I'm so impressed with the laid-back attitude everyone has. People take the time to look you in the eye and smile for no good reason. Not too much in a hurry (unless commuting, which I'll touch upon later). I haven't been to HEB once yet that someone hasn't asked to help me to the car, I always decline thankfully. My neighborhood is DIVERSE, and I'm so glad about that, since I'm in a mixed race marriage myself. I can tell that people have just what they need, rather than "keeping up with the Jonses" whoever they are anyway. Gardening on Sundays, etc.

The shopping - my little town of Hutto boasts a few blocks of the basics, including Jiffy Lube, Lowes, Home Depot, Mc D's, Taco Bell, and a few mini marts and restaurants. The Texan Cafe and Rio Grande are both yummy. I'm in LOVE with HEB off Gattis School in Round Rock. They have everything I could imagine, great produce and meat, and a huge array of products from south of the border. They even make their own corn & flour tortillas on site. WOW! I also love the super Target at the Stone Hill Town Center (at 45 & 130). Part supermarket, part supertarget, it has everything in one place (including a starbucks). There's also a new Beal's, which for all intents and purposes, reminds me of Kohl's without the home/linen section. There are many strip mall type centers throughout Round Rock that are close to access, and I've checked out the outlet stores as well. I haven't yet braved the Domain, but I'm thinking about going there on Saturday. I'm happy that I'll be able to use my California Pizza Kitchen gift card that I forgot I had! By the way, on the way back from SHTC on 685 N, there's a Chevron and next to it a little Mexican place - my husband LOVES the tacos they serve and say they're the most authentic to his native Mexico City that he's had in the states. That's saying something!

The Commute- I work downtown, 7:30-4:30 and I leave between 6:45-7am to get there on time. In weather, I'll leave at 6:30. I drive 130 to 290 to 35 and work on Congress. 21 miles door to door. Not bad AT ALL, for all of you who think Hutto's in the boonies. This CA girl is just as close as she wants to be to town. I like the feeling that you're away from work when you're home, so it's perfect for me. The best part, I commute with a co-worker who lives in Hutto too, so less gas/cost/pollution!

Daycare - I found a neighbor ACROSS THE STREET who was advertising on Craigslist that she had an opening for my soon-to-be 2 year old. I couldn't be happier. And the price is about 2/3 what I was paying before, so I'm excited about that.

I guess you could say, I'm happy with the move, you think?!

To anyone considering moving here, come and check it out, because you can research (and I learned tons before coming), but you never know how an area will strike you once you're out here. I never would have considered Hutto based on these boards, but I live in Riverwalk in a DR Horton home (leased) and I love it. I'll likely buy here or just south at Falcon Pointe in Pflugerville next year (also DR Horton) - my price range is under $200K and I love family-friendly. And, most importantly, GET A GOOD REALTOR who is willing to do some legwork with you when you come out here. That way, they'll get a good idea of what you require and be able to screen properties for you in your absence. If you need a reference, PM me, I have a great one!
you sounded pretty positive about austin and boy am i glad. We are a family of four. 1 boy 10, and 1 girl 8. My husband has accepted a job with austin energy. We have never been to austin and I don't even know where to start. I think he will be working on kramer lane in austin wherever that is. What are some good family friendly neighborhoods? and i think we'll just do an aprtment for now. Good schools are important.we are hispanic and can't wait to get out of ohio! i will look into hutto. Any input would be helpful thanks!

Old 04-15-2009, 07:15 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
My husband has accepted a job with austin energy. We have never been to austin and I don't even know where to start. I think he will be working on kramer lane in austin wherever that is. What are some good family friendly neighborhoods? and i think we'll just do an aprtment for now. Good schools are important.we are hispanic and can't wait to get out of ohio! i will look into hutto.
AustinEnergy is a good company, at least from everything I have heard. Being a city owned entity has its ups and downs, though, but still not a bad place.

Austin Energy is (I think) just off of Burnet and Krammer. This area is very industrial/commercial, with lots of office buildings and light industry (fabrication and such). I don't know what your price range is for renting/buying, but my first inclination would be to look a little west of there. There are some appartments just off MoPac and some on Duval that have some larger floorplans. Also, house-wise, there are some very affordable (or they used to be) rental houses in the Millwood area. Both those options feed into good elementary schools (either Davis or Summit Elementary). You do NOT wnat to be just east of there or in the immediate area, that is probably one of the rougher area in Austin.

Hutto/Round Rock/Pflugerville are also good choices, but you will have to drive quite a bit further.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:22 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,232,791 times
First off, I am so glad I made the move from Orange County, CA to the Austin area.

Welcome to Texas and welcome home.

Now, go to the Texas travel website and get your copy of the Texas Travel Guide... ! ! ! IT"S FREE ! ! ! so once you get settled you'll know where you want to go.... for the weekend.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:36 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,057,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post

Welcome to Texas and welcome home.

Now, go to the Texas travel website and get your copy of the Texas Travel Guide... ! ! ! IT"S FREE ! ! ! so once you get settled you'll know where you want to go.... for the weekend.
Thanks!!!

Old 04-15-2009, 07:39 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylmc22 View Post
you sounded pretty positive about austin and boy am i glad. We are a family of four. 1 boy 10, and 1 girl 8. My husband has accepted a job with austin energy. We have never been to austin and I don't even know where to start. I think he will be working on kramer lane in austin wherever that is. What are some good family friendly neighborhoods? and i think we'll just do an aprtment for now. Good schools are important.we are hispanic and can't wait to get out of ohio! i will look into hutto. Any input would be helpful thanks!
Are you looking to rent or buy? What's your budget for either? What's an acceptable commute for him? With that in hand, we can point you in the right direction(s).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin