Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 09:53 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,057,202 times

Advertisements

First off, I am so glad I made the move from Orange County, CA to the Austin area.

I'm breathing a bit easier due to a little more money in the bank (of course, cedar fever hasn't stricken yet!), I'm spreading out a bit more due to 1200 more square feet, and I'm enjoying the newness of getting to know a different area.

I live in Hutto, on the border of Round Rock and Pflugerville in a great, diverse neighborhood chock-full of kiddos - which is wonderful since I have two myself! My daughter's made friends already, and spends her afternoons playing on our cul-de-sac with them. She wants to buy a hippo for our front yard!

The people - I'm so impressed with the laid-back attitude everyone has. People take the time to look you in the eye and smile for no good reason. Not too much in a hurry (unless commuting, which I'll touch upon later). I haven't been to HEB once yet that someone hasn't asked to help me to the car, I always decline thankfully. My neighborhood is DIVERSE, and I'm so glad about that, since I'm in a mixed race marriage myself. I can tell that people have just what they need, rather than "keeping up with the Jonses" whoever they are anyway. Gardening on Sundays, etc.

The shopping - my little town of Hutto boasts a few blocks of the basics, including Jiffy Lube, Lowes, Home Depot, Mc D's, Taco Bell, and a few mini marts and restaurants. The Texan Cafe and Rio Grande are both yummy. I'm in LOVE with HEB off Gattis School in Round Rock. They have everything I could imagine, great produce and meat, and a huge array of products from south of the border. They even make their own corn & flour tortillas on site. WOW! I also love the super Target at the Stone Hill Town Center (at 45 & 130). Part supermarket, part supertarget, it has everything in one place (including a starbucks). There's also a new Beal's, which for all intents and purposes, reminds me of Kohl's without the home/linen section. There are many strip mall type centers throughout Round Rock that are close to access, and I've checked out the outlet stores as well. I haven't yet braved the Domain, but I'm thinking about going there on Saturday. I'm happy that I'll be able to use my California Pizza Kitchen gift card that I forgot I had! By the way, on the way back from SHTC on 685 N, there's a Chevron and next to it a little Mexican place - my husband LOVES the tacos they serve and say they're the most authentic to his native Mexico City that he's had in the states. That's saying something!

The Commute- I work downtown, 7:30-4:30 and I leave between 6:45-7am to get there on time. In weather, I'll leave at 6:30. I drive 130 to 290 to 35 and work on Congress. 21 miles door to door. Not bad AT ALL, for all of you who think Hutto's in the boonies. This CA girl is just as close as she wants to be to town. I like the feeling that you're away from work when you're home, so it's perfect for me. The best part, I commute with a co-worker who lives in Hutto too, so less gas/cost/pollution!

Daycare - I found a neighbor ACROSS THE STREET who was advertising on Craigslist that she had an opening for my soon-to-be 2 year old. I couldn't be happier. And the price is about 2/3 what I was paying before, so I'm excited about that.

I guess you could say, I'm happy with the move, you think?!

To anyone considering moving here, come and check it out, because you can research (and I learned tons before coming), but you never know how an area will strike you once you're out here. I never would have considered Hutto based on these boards, but I live in Riverwalk in a DR Horton home (leased) and I love it. I'll likely buy here or just south at Falcon Pointe in Pflugerville next year (also DR Horton) - my price range is under $200K and I love family-friendly. And, most importantly, GET A GOOD REALTOR who is willing to do some legwork with you when you come out here. That way, they'll get a good idea of what you require and be able to screen properties for you in your absence. If you need a reference, PM me, I have a great one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 10:08 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
I am so glad that your move has a been a positive one!

Old 04-07-2009, 10:17 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
Welcome!! Good write-up. Car-pooling should help defray your toll road and commuting costs.

Quote:
of course, cedar fever hasn't stricken yet!
It can take 10 or 15 years for some people to have any symptoms of Cedar Fever, so I wouldn't worry about it. I moved here in 1985 and didn't get hit hard until the 2000's. My allergy doctor explained why there is often such a delay, but I can't remember the details.

Enjoy your new home and community!!

Steve

Old 04-07-2009, 10:38 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
sounds like this was a very good move for you..I hope you continue to enjoy living in Texas...I know it is a change from So. Ca but to me, it would be a good change..Your biggest problem will hit when summer gets there..

Nita

Old 04-07-2009, 10:44 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
I'm so glad to hear this! We just have to get together for Margaritas sometime!

Old 04-07-2009, 10:50 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,095,507 times
Welcome! Hutto is a great little town, that like all other small towns 15-45 minutes away B.S. (before sprawl), now seem almost a part of Austin itself.

I highly recommend Falcon Pointe, especially at that price point. The pool/play area and school within the community are HUGE plus'.

Again, welcome and hope you enjoy the weather...if not...just wait a few minutes it'll change!

You should also check out Barton Springs...just watch out/be prepared for the water temp. The kids will love the playground/train, and you guys will love the pool. Enjoy.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:01 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,037,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
First off, I am so glad I made the move from Orange County, CA to the Austin area.

I'm breathing a bit easier due to a little more money in the bank (of course, cedar fever hasn't stricken yet!), I'm spreading out a bit more due to 1200 more square feet, and I'm enjoying the newness of getting to know a different area.

I live in Hutto, on the border of Round Rock and Pflugerville in a great, diverse neighborhood chock-full of kiddos - which is wonderful since I have two myself! My daughter's made friends already, and spends her afternoons playing on our cul-de-sac with them. She wants to buy a hippo for our front yard!

The people - I'm so impressed with the laid-back attitude everyone has. People take the time to look you in the eye and smile for no good reason. Not too much in a hurry (unless commuting, which I'll touch upon later). I haven't been to HEB once yet that someone hasn't asked to help me to the car, I always decline thankfully. My neighborhood is DIVERSE, and I'm so glad about that, since I'm in a mixed race marriage myself. I can tell that people have just what they need, rather than "keeping up with the Jonses" whoever they are anyway. Gardening on Sundays, etc.

The shopping - my little town of Hutto boasts a few blocks of the basics, including Jiffy Lube, Lowes, Home Depot, Mc D's, Taco Bell, and a few mini marts and restaurants. The Texan Cafe and Rio Grande are both yummy. I'm in LOVE with HEB off Gattis School in Round Rock. They have everything I could imagine, great produce and meat, and a huge array of products from south of the border. They even make their own corn & flour tortillas on site. WOW! I also love the super Target at the Stone Hill Town Center (at 45 & 130). Part supermarket, part supertarget, it has everything in one place (including a starbucks). There's also a new Beal's, which for all intents and purposes, reminds me of Kohl's without the home/linen section. There are many strip mall type centers throughout Round Rock that are close to access, and I've checked out the outlet stores as well. I haven't yet braved the Domain, but I'm thinking about going there on Saturday. I'm happy that I'll be able to use my California Pizza Kitchen gift card that I forgot I had! By the way, on the way back from SHTC on 685 N, there's a Chevron and next to it a little Mexican place - my husband LOVES the tacos they serve and say they're the most authentic to his native Mexico City that he's had in the states. That's saying something!

The Commute- I work downtown, 7:30-4:30 and I leave between 6:45-7am to get there on time. In weather, I'll leave at 6:30. I drive 130 to 290 to 35 and work on Congress. 21 miles door to door. Not bad AT ALL, for all of you who think Hutto's in the boonies. This CA girl is just as close as she wants to be to town. I like the feeling that you're away from work when you're home, so it's perfect for me. The best part, I commute with a co-worker who lives in Hutto too, so less gas/cost/pollution!

Daycare - I found a neighbor ACROSS THE STREET who was advertising on Craigslist that she had an opening for my soon-to-be 2 year old. I couldn't be happier. And the price is about 2/3 what I was paying before, so I'm excited about that.

I guess you could say, I'm happy with the move, you think?!

To anyone considering moving here, come and check it out, because you can research (and I learned tons before coming), but you never know how an area will strike you once you're out here. I never would have considered Hutto based on these boards, but I live in Riverwalk in a DR Horton home (leased) and I love it. I'll likely buy here or just south at Falcon Pointe in Pflugerville next year (also DR Horton) - my price range is under $200K and I love family-friendly. And, most importantly, GET A GOOD REALTOR who is willing to do some legwork with you when you come out here. That way, they'll get a good idea of what you require and be able to screen properties for you in your absence. If you need a reference, PM me, I have a great one!
My God, someone on here finally types more than I do!.......you get a special prize for that!

Old 04-07-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I'm so glad to hear this! We just have to get together for Margaritas sometime!
Yes we definitely do!!! I'll PM you my new contact info!

Old 04-07-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
sounds like this was a very good move for you..I hope you continue to enjoy living in Texas...I know it is a change from So. Ca but to me, it would be a good change..Your biggest problem will hit when summer gets there..

Nita
That's very true, but not unexpected. Also, my husband and I have lived in Cozumel, and Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, so we're not unfamiliar with both HOT and HUMID! This is one reason I had to have a neighborhood with amenities like a community pool!

Old 04-07-2009, 11:42 AM

509 posts, read 1,544,752 times
I'm so glad that your move worked out well. Daycare across the street is amazing! I'd buy the house just for that alone. Thanks for your descriptions of Hutto. I can't wait to get to Austin and explore all of the surrounding towns. Personally, I think that's the most exciting aspect of moving to a new place. Good luck!

P.S. I love the hippo idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin