Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 07:43 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,816 times

Advertisements

This might sound obvious, but let me explain what I mean.......seems like Austin has been growing at about the same pace as Las Vegas the last decade.....most people seem to come here primarily for quality-of-life issues...though other things factor as well, it mostly comes down the QOL.......

That being said, does Austin at a certain point ever simply get TOO congested, too sprawlish, too big-boxy, too polluted, and all, and IMPACT those quality-of-life issues? How much exponential growth CAN Austin's metro absorb before it just gets so large and congested that it destroys the ambience that attracts residents in the first place? How close is it NOW to that point?

In other words, when does Austin just become like everyone else?

Last edited by inthecut; 04-10-2009 at 08:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 08:07 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,094,294 times
The problem w/ that rationale is that you assume that Austin would be like everywhere else. Austin will ALWAYS be Austin. It can not be anything else (no matter how people try to change it), and if it is too congested, too sprawlish, then it's the fault of those who: 1.) Plan, 2.) Execute, 3.)Live there.

The biggest problem Austin has is the lack of planning and executing that plan for growth. Despite that, Austin will always still be in the Top 10 places, because it's Austin.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:31 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,434,427 times
I've lived in Chicago, Seattle and San Francisco. Austin is a SMALL town!

Old 04-10-2009, 08:48 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,154 times
I would say that point is not too far in the future. The Austin city council still refuses to improve the infastruture of this city with the knowledge that if you "don't build it, they won't come". People continue to come to Austin for a better quality of life. However, with the congestion, increased crime, and lack of amenities, it is just a matter of time before Austin starts loosing population to other cities who actually have more to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
This might sound obvious, but let me explain what I mean.......seems like Austin has been growing at about the same pace as Las Vegas the last decade.....most people seem to come here primarily for quality-of-life issues...though other things factor as well, it mostly comes down the QOL.......

That being said, does Austin at a certain point ever simply get TOO congested, too sprawlish, too big-boxy, too polluted, and all, and IMPACT those quality-of-life issues? How much exponential growth CAN Austin's metro absorb before it just gets so large and congested that it destroys the ambience that attracts residents in the first place? How close is it NOW to that point?

In other words, when does Austin just become like everyone else?

Old 04-10-2009, 02:11 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
I think the atmosphere around the Lake (Travis) has changed quite a bit. A ton more development out that way and it doesn't really seem like the out of the way, relaxed place it was even 10-15 yrs. ago. We used to camp at Pace Bend Park and across the lake from it there was absolutely no development. Now it's just super Mcmansions as far as the eye can see. Not such a great camping experience when you have to worry about disturbing the residents or worrying that they can see EVERYTHING you are doing.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:27 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
You're right love roses..the lake doesn't seem as remote as it once did.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:32 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I think the atmosphere around the Lake (Travis) has changed quite a bit. A ton more development out that way and it doesn't really seem like the out of the way, relaxed place it was even 10-15 yrs. ago. We used to camp at Pace Bend Park and across the lake from it there was absolutely no development. Now it's just super Mcmansions as far as the eye can see. Not such a great camping experience when you have to worry about disturbing the residents or worrying that they can see EVERYTHING you are doing.
The owners of these McMansions are probably more worried that you can see everything THEY are doing .

Western Travis county is indeed growing - and not all of it is good. But to counterbalance that we have Mr. Wynn trying to get everyone to live downtown in a high rise.

For eepstein - you keep talking about Austin losing (not "loosing") population to other cities with more to offer. Which cities are these?

Old 04-10-2009, 02:37 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times
We are constantly complaining about sprawl on this forum, and now we are complaining about crowding. You either have one or the other. Which do you prefer?

Old 04-10-2009, 02:47 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
If you are asking me - I live in Spicewood, just outside Austin, so I prefer less crowding. I like space around me.

I also don't like traffic - and I need to drive to work in the Arboretum area. So I absolutely would like to see Austin improve its roads and transportation infrastructure. I agree with the many posts that say Austin pretended for so long that it wasn't an issue - but it obviously is.

I don't think the solution is to try to turn Austin into a dense urban city. Those that want that lifestyle have that choice today. But the city can't ignore the needs of people who prefer a different lifestyle.

There really is no reason for Austin to abandon the Texas style and culture of live and let live. Because that is why millions of people live in this less packed state.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:50 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Heh....personally, the growth in Austin has afforded me more space and has resulted in less time in the car, as well. I can now do access almost everything I need fairly nearby, whearas I used to have to drive all the way across town for some 'one of a kind' stores. My commute is shorter than it has every been in my life, both time-wise and distance-wise (as long as you don't count college ).

I just find it an interesting assumption that everyone who lives in Austin has to commute to downtown. The increase in mass has allowed some pseudo city-center development in the suburbs, and I have less traffic issues than I have had in many years. I can now live closer to the hill county proper and still be close to work/amenities than I ever could before.

Now, there are some one of a kind things - Campbells hole, twin falls, Zilker park- that will see some strain and are very difficult to duplicate. And, of course, overall water supply .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin