Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 06:31 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,060,220 times

Advertisements

Well, I conceed in that I looked up Avery Ranch on the map once - and it does appear to be "closer in" to Austin, etc. Is it near the Arboretum, I think? I mean it's hard to compare the "niceness" of that area with anywhere else in Round Rock...

but, not living there, and living here, and visiting my sister and her family here - for years - I think this area is "fine" and "nice" but not "upscale" - it's more "family" where it seems like the Arboretum is "upscale". It has all the shopping necessary, it has close access to Dell's Round Rock campus... and probably it's part familiarity too.

We often go to the Arboretum area because it has the ONLY Costco and we are big Whole Foods shoppers, but also we are used to driving to where we want to go because in Seattle, everyone lives further out, because of housing costs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 06:36 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,279,021 times
Well, I'll throw out a different perspective. I don't think you should be trying to narrow your areas to live any further at this point. All of the areas you mentioned are in good school districts and have plenty of nice homes to choose from. You have a special needs kid....as do I...you need to go an check out all of the schools or school districts first and foremost. I know that it's really critical with autistic children that they have a lot of consistency and routine, and you don't want to have to move schools down the road if it can be avoided. So that has to be your #1 priority.

Call and talk to coordinators in the district. Get all of the info you can. Go check out some of the schools in each district, and THEN when you find a school you like, see if there are houses in that area that will work for you, both to rent and to buy. You are trying to conduct an analysis from 1800 miles away and you are going to drive yourself crazy getting all of these differing opinions. RR folks will tell you they won't send their kids anywhere but RR, I can't imagine sending my special needs kid anywhere but the school he goes to in Leander ISD. But what's right for my kid or anyone else's kid may not be right for YOUR kid.

You are looking in all the right places for your specific situation, so now I think you find the school first, and let that decision drive your home/rental search.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:45 PM

447 posts, read 1,849,383 times
I think Gigi makes an excellent point about the schools, as both an educator and a parent. Personally I would feel confident in sending my children to several schools in both the Round Rock and Leander district, but I agree - you want to touch base with the coordinators and see what impresses you most. I don't think there is a huge difference in living in Avery Ranch vs Forest Creek vs Steiner, for example, if you fall in love with a school in one of those neighborhoods, you know? That will make all the difference (hope that made sense).

Jen - we are about 15 minutes from the Arboretum. I really like the Lakeline mall area (not necessarily the actual mall, but the stores around it - and again, just like you, I"m sure a huge part of that is familiarity!) Yup, I go to the Costco by Whole Foods, and I'm a huge Whole Foods/Central Market shopper, but I will usually stop in at the flagship store downtown (since I work at UT) to stock up once a month or so. But I love heading out by the lake, and jetting down 183 to Mopac to Hula Hut or Barton Creek on the weekends (since you don't "jet" anywhere during the weekly rush hour! lol) so I guess I would feel a huge part of the best part of my "life" in Austin a lot further away/more difficult if I lived out on the other side of 35. I think that is a large part of my resistance to your area.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:27 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,688,656 times
Like I've posted before, I'm way out here in Hutto, on the East side. The only homebuilder that is having a big problem out here is Lennar. They put up some homes out here so fast and so poorly that lots of homes are getting water leaks, and cracks. My neighbor across the street does home daycare and watches a girl who's family is currently living in a hotel while their home is repaired. I'm in a Legacy, and we haven't had any problems. But then again, Legacy doesn't put up their homes that fast. D.R Horton just came to our neighborhood and they are extremely fast. I'm just waiting to see if there are problems with them. Armadillo and Capital Pacific are out here as well, and those are doing great. Be wary of D.R Horton and Lennar anywhere I'd think. Noone's mentioned Star Ranch out this way yet. I don't live in that subdivision, but it's going to be really nice. There is a golf course, and they are going to have a section with estate homes, another with condos/townhomes, and lots of area for retail. They will also tie in with a bike/hike trail system that will actually reach closer into town(Austin). I live in Hutto Square, and it's been great and safe so far, even with the growth. The one thing I do know that people hate out here is that we have no grocery store. I mean, really, how big does a town have to get before you get one? We're tired of driving to Round Rock for everything..(Like 5 minutes is really that far)LOL. One of my neighbors down the street has a son with Autism, but he goes to a school in Round Rock. I am not much help in that department. As for our other schools, my neighbor that does daycare used to be a teacher and said Hutto is rated as good as Barton Creek Schools. Possibly even Lake Travis Schools. There are 2 or 3 more elementary and middle schools going up to make a total of about 6. There is only one high school, which they are adding on to and there has been a rumor that they may build one more high school.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:33 PM

And to keep up the East/West thing, we're not so far out that we can't get to Austin in about 30 minutes (maybe a touch more, but not bad at all). We go into Austin quite often, especially with the toll road. I've done the urban living thing, but now with a kiddo we were looking for a little more room to spread out. Of course, we would love to get some hill country land here soon cause ultimately we like the scenery west a little better.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:05 PM

love roses - there is an HEBplus going in at the end of Gattis, by the toll roads somewhere - this year, I think!

Old 03-30-2007, 11:08 PM

I have to second what the other moms are saying about the school. Forest Creek is the right school for US - and I would rent a condo to ensure we stayed at this school... but that doesn't mean everyone feels the same way... but I have felt good about this neighborhood since my sister moved here years ago... it's not perfect, it has it's own quirks

Like gigi said, you are looking in the right areas - though, I would personally narrow it down to Cedar Park and Round Rock. ALSO - check the RRISD website because there are boundary changes going on, some for this next school year - but mainly for the 08-09 year.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:33 AM

I know H.E.B purchased some land for a store, and if it's really going to be this year, I'll be up and doing my happy dance pretty soon!

Old 04-01-2007, 01:02 PM

22 posts, read 92,112 times
Is Cedar Park in the RRISD? Also, does anyone know how to contact the Leander school district coordinator? I already have the info for the RRISD coordinator and am going to call Monday. Thanks for all of the great advice.

Old 04-01-2007, 01:40 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,279,021 times
Parts of Cedar Park are in RRISD, but most are not. I will get you the coordinator # for LISD - I have to dig through my files
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin