Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 12:55 PM

5 posts, read 20,278 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Austin and used to live in Portland (a decade ago, so I'm not sure how much has changed). When I moved here, I immediately thought about how, except for the weather, it reminded me of Portland. There are some differences, though, which have been mentioned above. Public transportation here is relatively pathetic. There are fewer parks, but they are much bigger. It isn't nearly as naturally beautiful (I keep trying to explain to the natives that they don't know what the color green is--or what mountains are). If you live centrally, you can be within walking distance of coffee shops, groceries, restaurants, etc. There are many small complexes (or large houses converted to apartments) in central Austin, especially closer to UT campus. I would look at South Congress, North Campus, and Hyde Park neighborhoods. You might also enjoy sections of east-central Austin (just east of downtown). Lofts on Sixth St. and the Warehouse District are probably out of your price range. I hope this helps somewhat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 08:46 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNativeinNW View Post
Hello. I just submitted a post asking about corpus. I'm considering a move to texas from Portland. I will share my experience with Austin as a visitor this past spring. I spent a week there...and I'll tell you the things I loved and hated!

Loved:
1. the people
2. vibrant music/arts
3. lots of parks for walking/biking
4. lots of places to swim
5. progressive
6. More sun than NW

Hated:
1. Traffic congestion
2. No one walks anywhere (that I could see). Didn't have that "walk to coffeeshop" vibe like Portland.
3. People drove incredibly fast and tailgated me a lot (something I had forgotten about from living in Dallas years ago. This might be a texas thing!)
4. I found rent and home prices to be surprisingly high. I can get a very nice place in Portland for $800 per month, but something comparable in Austin would be $1100, at least.
5. Brutal summer heat.

So...thought I'd add my two cents!!

Good luck!
you know what, I just moved from portland, and I agree with every damn thing you just said. Its as if I wrote this. The tailgaing is obnoxious here, how do you slow down to make a turn, I have been nearly run off the road twice. I think the rent is so high because they have to pay such high taxes. I like all the walking trails, even if I am the only one on them it seems (I like that actually).

Old 05-09-2007, 10:32 AM

942 posts, read 1,393,058 times
I hated to admit this to myself let alone anyone else, but I made a trip to Austin, I just wanted to get out of Portland, and to a warm climate without a income tax. I took a southwest flight down, rented a car from Avis, stayed at a extended stay motel, reservation for 1 week. I was terrified to drive there, was lost all the time, not that I would not be I had never been there, but I can read signs, and the signage looked like a retarded person wrote them. The people drove incredibly fast and agressively, hence no public transit ,translates into too much driving and bad driving. I stayed the one day and took the car back, Avis actually felt sorry for me, and did not charge me a fee for bringing the car back early. I cannot drive there, so I cannot live there. I doubt I am the only one that was so turned off to the driving and the lack of transit,which by the way would of made the difference, because I don't think I disliked Austin in itself. I am finding comfort though in seeing others that have lived in Portland found the driving so horrible in Austin.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:40 PM

148 posts, read 604,834 times
Default Austin traffic

I always feel like Austin would be so neat, and coming from central Florida, I would be very happy with central Austin, I think (the coffee shop vibe, etc.).

But, I'm afraid to rent a car and drive around...feel like an old foggy...but hearing others say how bewildering it is, I feel like, "Save myself the trouble", plus the areas I like, don't think I could afford.

Makes me think I may as well put up with the known devils in Florida and hope what I don't like improves. Do know moving far is very stressful and maybe not any "greener on the other side".

Am looking at a mid-sized city here in Florida, that despite its strong, conservative religiosity, may be a sleeper city...they have made it so no one can build McMansions in their historical districts. So, hoping it will get the 'coffeehouse vibe' big time in the future (as they are doing some now).

Old 05-09-2007, 02:17 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Oregonrain, I'm really glad you love public transit so much, and maybe portland is just where you're meant to be. Yes, there are some really frantic drivers here, and I still haven't figured out what the major hurry is for most of them. Denver had some bad drivers, but Austin to me beats Houston, Dallas, and Denver hands down for aggressive drivers. But with all that said, I am a Texan at heart, and that is not enough to drive me out.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:26 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,334,442 times
Traffic is so subjective. While some may think everyone is driving fast, others think it's too slow. I think it all depends on what you're used to. Personally, I think most people drive slow here. If I'm doing the speed limit on Mopac and am in say, the right-hand lane, it never fails that I pass a bunch of people putting down the road in the middle lane.

Now you want to see fast? Drive through Atlanta, GA! I actually loved driving there. Yes, people were hauling but at least it seemed like they knew what they were doing. I'll take fast and competent any day over slow and unsure.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:50 PM

110 posts, read 590,786 times
The driving is, indeed, interesting here but it doesn't hold a candle to driving in New York-- now that is SCARY!!

I've been here for about 5 weeks and I finally feel like I am getting the major roads and freeways down. When I first got here, I was so confused all these different names for the roads and numbers-- so confusing!!!! Name the road and be done with it already!

Old 05-09-2007, 03:50 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
Traffic is so subjective. While some may think everyone is driving fast, others think it's too slow. I think it all depends on what you're used to. Personally, I think most people drive slow here. If I'm doing the speed limit on Mopac and am in say, the right-hand lane, it never fails that I pass a bunch of people putting down the road in the middle lane.

Now you want to see fast? Drive through Atlanta, GA! I actually loved driving there. Yes, people were hauling but at least it seemed like they knew what they were doing. I'll take fast and competent any day over slow and unsure.

I agree, people in texas drive too slow. I love driving in california because the average speed is about 15mph over the speed limit. In austin it seems like there is always someone driving 5 under.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:08 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Too slow by California standards, I see. I think native Texans have always driven at least the speed limit (and I know I don't speak for all Natives). Us slow people, We're just not in the mood to zip around at 80+everywhere...I can see how the laid back attitude and Austin lifestyle clash with our 1/2 Texas 1/2 California highway system and it's freaking us slow fogies out. And just for the record, I don't really go that granny slow. 75 to me, on the fwy. is alright. And I think the 5 under is just an impression, as someone going more than 15 over doesn't have time to be thinking about it. (Not a slam, I was actually trying to be cute with that!). I've only been to NY twice, but you're right about driving there. If I thought people cut people off a lot here, they do it with pizzazz there. Maybe it's the New Yorkers/Michiganers here scaring us to death...We're honing in on the wrong targets here My next door neighbor is from Michigan, and he said he thinks people put blind folds on before they get in their cars over there!

Old 05-10-2007, 01:43 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Jen, make it through a few summers and a few cycles of budgeting property taxes before you proclaim too much love.
Yes, I agree. I just got here. Realtors always bring up that there is no Income tax here, so it all comes out in the end. One problem. If you lose your job.....they stop asking you for the income tax in other states. If I lose my job here, I don't think they will give me a break on my property tax. I think I might lose my house. It is giving me pause on buying here. Yes I see the cheep prices in texas. I wonder if they are cheap because of the taxes. IS there any laws here that give you a pass if you are unemployed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin