Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 01:42 AM

46 posts, read 176,898 times

Advertisements

My family and I usually take a 4-5 day vacation (out of state) in the summer, but decided to keep it close to home this year. Probably do a trip down to San Antonia for Sea World. Either that or going canoeing in Town Lake, or swimming at Hamilton Pool. Can easily save a few thousand dollars this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 07:00 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
I just meant money saving tips in general, like whatever you do to save a few cents.
If it isnt specific to austin, the moderators will close the thread.

First is to see where your money is going. We use mint.com which seems to break all the time but it is adequate.

You can target about $1/meal per person for food, about 1/4 pound of protein food, 1/4 pound of starches and 1/4-1/2 pound of veggies. This means your meat has to be less than a few dollars a pound.

HEB has catfish nuggets typically for 2/pound - inexpensive way to get fish. The nuggets arent breaded or anything they are just the end pieces from whole fillets so are a lot cheaper.

Randalls often times have the best meat savings. I bought several 16 pound pork shoulders for 1/pound. When the stuff isnt on sale it is overpriced, but when it is on sale it is a screaming bargain.

The cheapest gas is generally costco, but HEB is pretty good too.

alamo drafthouse lakecreek has free cult thursdays at 10pm. Free movies!

Old 04-19-2009, 11:36 AM

111 posts, read 258,722 times
I agree with Austin97, its’ a good idea to use any online money management tools to track where your money is going. When I work with my budget, I do have a reality check and compare what we want to spend with our income. This is a way to cut down on unnecessary expenses & confirm that we are living within our means, n' it helps us to figure out if we have money for optional expenditures.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:39 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
My grocery store challenge is taking just $10.00 cash with me to the grocery for dinner. Stores are close to my house, so are on my way home from work. Makes me think twice about quantity and how much we really need. Not more any than we'll use that day or maybe the next for lunch, so I don't throw any of it out. I also like Sun Harvest for produce and also for meat. I can ask for the exact amount of meat that we will need, not a pre-packaged quantity.
I agree, Sun Harvest is the cheapest for meats and produce... and I also love the buying-at-the-counter for stuff like ground beef. I think it's fresher that way, as your pound of ground beef doesn't have as much surface area exposed as the packaged ones.

If you want to grocery shop for the absolute bottom dollar, Wal-mart for dry goods and Sun Harvest for produce and meats.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:52 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,373,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I agree, Sun Harvest is the cheapest for meats and produce... and I also love the buying-at-the-counter for stuff like ground beef. I think it's fresher that way, as your pound of ground beef doesn't have as much surface area exposed as the packaged ones.

If you want to grocery shop for the absolute bottom dollar, Wal-mart for dry goods and Sun Harvest for produce and meats.
Where is Sun Harvest located at? Do they have several locations in the Austin area?

Old 04-19-2009, 12:37 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,795,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
Where is Sun Harvest located at? Do they have several locations in the Austin area?
Two, according to their website. I shop at the one near Anderson Lane and Shoal Creek Blvd in north Austin, but notice there is one on South Lamar as well. I didn't know about that one. Here's a link with Texas stores:
http://www.sun-harvest.com/app/sunharvest/stores.php

oops, sorry. The link isn't coming through right for some reason.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:23 PM

701 posts, read 2,482,822 times
There's that Newflower Market on Wm. Canon and Manchaca. How does it compare to Sun Havest?

Also to save money (we are hoping it works): grow your own veggies. We get lots of sun here in central TX. We started this past week using the Square Foot Garden method which is great if you don't have a lot of space.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:52 PM

57 posts, read 518,596 times
Phisch

Can u elaborate on this square foot gardening ...

When I googled ..looks like we grow in boxes....Can we buy those boxes in a garden store?

Old 04-21-2009, 04:57 PM

428 posts, read 1,065,274 times
Coupons, Grocery Coupons - The Grocery Game :: Home

and

Financial Peace University

Old 04-21-2009, 07:51 PM

629 posts, read 1,653,777 times
Instead of shopping at the Macy's in the Domain, I shop at the Macy's in Barton Creek Square Mall.

At least it makes me feel like I'm saving money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin