Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 06:24 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,096,785 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else do this?

Have a very different range of food that you cook in the summer and in the winter? (we eat 95% of our meals at home).

It was 90+ degrees today and at dinnertime, I found myself manning the microwave instead of the oven. And I realized that it was probably time to switch to "summer cooking."

In our house this means no more home-baked pies or quiches, no more home-roasted chicken, essentially we try to use the oven as little as possible because it heats up the house. In the summer we eat more soup, pasta, grilled food, stir fries and lots (and lots) of fruit and salad. No more baking potatoes in the oven, only the microwave, no more manicotti baked in the oven, etc.

I will keep baking cookies and pizza for a while but in July and August, we make due with pudding pies in graham cracker crusts, rice crispy treats, and ice cream. (and no more home-baked pizza). Our goal in July and August is to keep the oven off the whole time.

It does seem to keep the house (and the cook) cooler. I think that we also the seasonality of it all. Sometimes the seasons can be hard to detect in Austin "winter food" and "summer food" makes the changes more concrete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 07:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
I start BBQ'ing a lot in the summer rather then use the oven. Lots of salads and sandwiches and raw veggies with ranch dip.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:31 PM

5,865 posts, read 11,919,279 times
Definitely! We have a Weber gas grill outside the kitchen that gets a lot of use once the temps start climbing. Grilling dinner is much easier and lighter too. We also have a smoker we use on weekends, but the gas grill kind of serves as an outdoor stove. I love baking in the oven during the winter months, but that pretty much goes away from about June-September.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:51 PM

99 posts, read 421,655 times
We do the same; no more simmering chili or tortilla soup on the stove for hours once it's in the 90s. Grilling is the way to go.

We have used a crock pot and toaster oven out in the garage as a way to prepare some dishes without heating up the rest of the house.

Also time to get the ice cream maker going...

Old 04-21-2009, 10:07 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,687,302 times
We do the same. We use our smoker or charcoal grill once or twice a week, I'll put the crockpot in the garage, or do something in a skillet on the stove. The oven stays off all summer. We did put in a convection oven/microwave combo over the stove and use that from time to time and it's great because it doesn't heat the house up the way the regular stove does but oven baked things are usually just too heavy once it's hot outside.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:09 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,313,888 times
We do a lot more grilling and salads and rotisserie chickens in the summer and more soups, lasagna, stew in the winter!

By the way....does anyone have info on installing an outdoor pizza oven? We're having our yard redone and want one!

Old 04-22-2009, 07:34 AM

509 posts, read 1,544,134 times
It definitely does keep the house cooler when the oven is off - I noticed that the last time we lived in Texas and our a/c was on its last legs. Not only that, but I just have a taste for different foods in the summer. Some things like meatloaf, mashed potatoes, chili, etc. just seem too heavy. Plus with all of the great seasonal fruits and veggies, it seems a shame not to take advantage of them. Wow though, I can't believe that it's 90 there already. We can't seem to make it to 70 here in the chilly northeast.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:43 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,368,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mom View Post
It definitely does keep the house cooler when the oven is off - I noticed that the last time we lived in Texas and our a/c was on its last legs. Not only that, but I just have a taste for different foods in the summer. Some things like meatloaf, mashed potatoes, chili, etc. just seem too heavy. Plus with all of the great seasonal fruits and veggies, it seems a shame not to take advantage of them. Wow though, I can't believe that it's 90 there already. We can't seem to make it to 70 here in the chilly northeast.
What part of PA are you from? I'm from Western PA and we are having trouble making it to 60 degrees!!

Old 04-22-2009, 09:52 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,873,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mom View Post
The interesting thing is that even though it was 90 yesterday, and supposed to be again today... I haven't had to run the A/C in the house, even upstairs. Must be the 20% humidity... although I can't remember in the past getting to 90 degrees and not having to run the A/C.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:07 AM

593 posts, read 1,377,896 times
Yup, BBQ & Grilling outside. Especially all the animals we shoot during hunting season. Yummy, Deer Meat & Sausage, Hog, Javelina, Raccoon, Squirrels, a Spring Turkey or Two. We're too sophisticated and uppity to eat possum, we don't do rats either.

Cool stuff inside: Salads, Pastas, Fruit, Ice Cream, Yogurt, Cheese, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: