Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2009, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,021 times

Advertisements

I visited Austin in early April for the first time to visit and fell in love with it! I am currently in Montana, graduating from college in a week. My degree will be in Communication Studies/Public Relations with a minor in Business Administration.

I am adventurous and am anxious to experience new places. Montana is beautiful, but Austin is the place I want to be!

I plan to be down in Austin within a month and am currently applying for jobs. I am looking for an Event Planning/Coordinating career in non-profit but non-profit is not a must. I spent over 400 hours at a non-profit for my internship in the Development Department and loved every minute of it!

I have 5 years serving/bartending experience.

I grew up in Colorado and moved to Montana about 7 years ago where I graduated high school and now college. I was a 4-H member for 10 years and grew up on a ranch.

I've done the small town thing, now I want to do the big city thing!

I'm a driven female who wants to work hard and find a successful career in Austin. I love to meet new people and work in a social environment.

Any tips or suggestions for a soon-to-be relocating young professional? Also, if anyone knows of reputable resources for a job search or a job opportunity, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 03:42 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Check out my profile for links to job resources and a lot of other information about the community. There are a lot of government agencies in the area that all employ public relations people. Beyond that I don't know much about that profession.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:33 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
I think your enthusiasm for Austin is great, but I would expand my job search to Houston, Dallas and San Antonio as well. Many fo my friends have entered marketing/advertising/event planning in those cities and then once they've got a netwrok and experience, they came to Austin, which is a much smaller market.
Good luck!

Old 05-04-2009, 12:33 PM

14 posts, read 121,085 times
Thread bump for another person doing the same thing. I just graduated Washington State and will try to find a volunteer technical or grant writing position while I flip burgers/wait tables/whatever and try to find something more permanent. Good luck OP, I'm not one to give advice on the area but expanding your search to the surrounding cities will probably help, for me that is a big advantage in coming to Austin. You get access to three metropolitan areas with relatively low unemployment.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:53 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,435,039 times
If you fell in love with Austin then this is where you should be. I wouldn't move to Dallas or San Antonio and then move to Austin. If your heart is set on Austin then put all your resources into finding a job here. It's a great move for you if you are looking to live in a larger city. Dallas and San Antonio are probably too large. There are several advertising firms based in Austin, Harte Hanks being one of them. Good luck in your job search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: