Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2009, 09:05 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,233,328 times

Advertisements

I'm kind of interested in transcendental meditation. Does anyone know where, in Austin, I can go to learn it? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 07:59 PM

468 posts, read 1,220,626 times
I think the yoga studios have some related workshops on this. I have seen some fliers. I go to yoga yoga, seems like a solid place and they have regular workshops of different kinds.

Otherwise I bet there is a group at UT that does it. I used to visit with a meditation student "club" at a UC campus and they had a couple great weekend thingies, like full day meditation study/retreat with the holy holy's for free (which might normally cost a yuppie $$$). So for an intro "kind of interested in learning more" I would suggest looking for a UT group.. ??

BTW if you find somewhere then post back to this thread.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:13 AM

Thanks guys. I'll check out that info, ILikeSmartHippies. I've actually always wanted to check out Yoga Yoga, too.

I did find this site: How to Learn the Transcendental Meditation Technique at Austin, TX, Maharishi Enlightenment Center (http://austinmec.org/transcendental_meditation.html - broken link)

However, there's absolutely nothing about pricing on it. You get a "free introductory lecture" which, quite honestly, worries me. It sounds very "Church of Scientology."

Like, they'll tell you all about how life-changing TM is and make you feel like you absolutely need it and then hit you with the $1000 price tag to learn it.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:10 PM

468 posts, read 1,220,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
Thanks guys. I'll check out that info, ILikeSmartHippies. I've actually always wanted to check out Yoga Yoga, too.
that reminds me, there is a meditation center near the yoga yoga south studio, it's in the same parking lot, I don't know anything about it though. I forget the exact address on lamar, check the web site, it's there.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeSmartHippies View Post
that reminds me, there is a meditation center near the yoga yoga south studio, it's in the same parking lot, I don't know anything about it though. I forget the exact address on lamar, check the web site, it's there.
Are you talking about Austin Siddha Yoga Meditation Center ? I'm checking that out too. Thanks! (I gotta say, checking out the Yoga Yoga site, $17/class seems like a LOT! Doesn't it? I thought it would be/should be more like $12/class.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin