Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 04:08 PM

4 posts, read 13,443 times

Advertisements

We are interested in building on a green belt lot in Meridian but wondering if we will have to deal with a raccoons or snakes or other critters.....are they a lot of a trouble in meridian green belt lots? what would be other advantages or disadvantages of building on a green belt lot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 04:26 PM

27 posts, read 75,488 times
Well, I live on a greenbelt lot in Circle C. I was worried about the same thing when we moved in. However, we haven't had really any trouble with critters. Once we had a small garter snake in the yard, and once a snake on our front driveway, but can't really say it is related to greenbelt or not. We do have several feral cats over the fence now and again. I LOVE living on the greenbelt and having no one behind me. Would rather look out onto the pretty greenbelt and trees than a big old house behind me anyday!

Old 05-11-2009, 04:41 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
We live a block away from the greenbelt, surrounded by houses, in Legend Oaks North of Circle C, and we still often have racoons in our back yard. When we lived in a house backing on undeveloped land in Oak Hill we did have frequent problems with scorpions.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:24 PM

27 posts, read 75,488 times
Yes, I forgot about scorpions--we have had a few issues there but bug guy said it probably due to new construction around us--the digging was disturbing the scorpions.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:52 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,434,427 times
Which section are you looking at and which greenbelt? Many of the builders offer greenbelt lots but most of them face either SH45 or 1826. I can tell you that the road noise will be far worse than any critters that you would encounter. People think they are getting a great lot but resale will be horrible because you can't hear yourself think on your back porch. I took an interior lot and love to hear the birds in the morning and not the traffic!

Old 05-14-2009, 01:37 PM

4 posts, read 13,443 times
We are looking at one of the lots in the middle of Cherisse drive (facing NE). I know that there are some lots at the end of Cherisse that are close to 1826. How about the ones in the middle of Cherisse drive? As far as I can see there is a wide green belt behind Cherisse which will eventually back up to estate homes bult by Frederick Harris, I think.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:56 PM

786 posts, read 2,762,064 times
Go out to the lot at rush hour and listen for traffic. The noise level will be reduced within the house, and will be further buffered by subsequent house builds,but it will give you an idea.

We bought a house in Dripping about a mile away from 290, but we can hear the traffic drone during rush hour. I did not notice this during the house visits. Its amazing what you notice after you move in.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:11 PM

433 posts, read 1,657,910 times
I have a friend with a house backed to a greenbelt in Avery Ranch and he's always battling with armadillos. They eat all his flowers and do a lot of digging.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:39 PM

658 posts, read 2,006,793 times
I live on a greenbelt by Mo-Pac and William Cannon with a wet weather creek running through it. We have seen copperhead, rattler and checkered snakes, raccoons, scorpions, rats, armadillos, fox and last Sunday a coyote that came in our yard and drank from our pond. The Deer we see make up for the snakes and the Raccoon family that grew up in our attic a few years back. I did quit feeding the raccoons after that!

Last edited by tibbar; 05-14-2009 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-14-2009, 03:24 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibbar View Post
I live on a greenbelt by Mo-Pac and William Cannon with a wet weather creek running through it. We have seen copperhead, rattler and checkered snakes, raccoons, scorpions, rats, armadillos, fox and last Sunday a coyote that came in our yard and drank from our pond. The Deer we see make up for the snakes and the Raccoon family that grew up in our attic a few years back. I did quit feeding the raccoons after that!
What ARE those black and gold checkered snakes called? I've seen them swimming in town lake.

We currently rent in Circle C and many houses here back up to the veloway (park) and having spoken to my neighbors several have had snakes in there yards and some still have problems with scorpions, even five to eight years after all the construction in this area stopped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin