Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 06:31 AM

105 posts, read 380,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATXTransplant View Post
I have friends who build in Bella Mar and already regret it and the retirement center is not even built yet.
Why do your friend regret it? Is it just because of the location and how it takes longer to drive out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
No one said it wasn't a great place to live. Steiner is very nice. If the OP works North than it would be fine for them. If commute isn't an issue than SW would be better to save money. It is still a bad economy, you know!
I work from home and husband will work downtown. Maybe he'll hate the commute, but we live in NYC now where standing for 30 minutes on jam packed subways is what we're used to. So in comparison, maybe it won't be so bad?

Thanks for all of the advice about resale vs new. I'm definitely thinking resale, also because I sort of take issue with all of the materials that have to be made and shipped and bought and excavated and stripped and felled to make a new house.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:44 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylonghorn2 View Post
Thanks for all of the advice about resale vs new. I'm definitely thinking resale, also because I sort of take issue with all of the materials that have to be made and shipped and bought and excavated and stripped and felled to make a new house.
Plus, of course, the land that is taken out of production (oxygen production, permeable cover, etc.) to build a new house.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:39 AM

477 posts, read 1,581,195 times
ladylonghorn 2 (sorry, I haven't yet figured out how to quote your message in mine) - that's exactly why they regret it. The husband has to leave during normal rush hour time. He often gets stuck in both schools' traffic and it can take a long time to get out. Also, they (like most) didn't realize that the Longhorn Village was going to be such a huge project. Throw in a couple hundred seniors, nurses and medical staff and you've got a LOT more drivers coming from there, and that section is one lane. Other than that, they love it, but they admit that they were "blinded" buy the opportunity to build exactly what they want and didn't really think about the location.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:39 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,434,427 times
I believe the commute to downtown from Circle C would be about 20 minutes. From Steiner, not sure, probably over 30 minutes because it takes a long time to get out of Steiner. There are plenty of nice resales in Circle C. Go to the MLS and check them out. It's nice down here, I've looked in Steiner before and think it's gorgeous, it just feels isolated to me since I can get to the city in 12-15 minutes with not traffic.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:44 PM

I've been digging through all the Steiner listings in preparation for some visits this weekend. Some listings on the resales include info about the builder. Any advice on which builders made the best quality houses with the fewest problems? To recap, I'm looking for resales, totally happy with stuff built in the 90s (prefer it even, love the trees!), would like to spend about 250k but can go up to 300k. Would love to be walking distance to elementary school and park.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:20 PM

575 posts, read 2,496,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylonghorn2 View Post
I've been digging through all the Steiner listings in preparation for some visits this weekend. Some listings on the resales include info about the builder. Any advice on which builders made the best quality houses with the fewest problems? To recap, I'm looking for resales, totally happy with stuff built in the 90s (prefer it even, love the trees!), would like to spend about 250k but can go up to 300k. Would love to be walking distance to elementary school and park.
Since the builders usually used the same crews through "stealing" people from each other etc, I would say that knowing the builder doesn't really matter for that age home. One reason to put the builder name in the listing is because some builders "included" a lot of finish out vs. other builders. David Weekly comes to mind, along with Taylor Woodrow. But really, you need to see inside the houses because you may find a Newmark or Morrison that someone added many fine details to over the last 10-15 years.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:50 PM

477 posts, read 1,581,195 times
In that price range, walking distance to a school and park is going to mean you are East of John Simpson Park, West of Steiner Ranch Blvd. (or in Canyon Glen). There are some great homes over there. The builders in those sections are Newmark and Morrisson. Majestic Oaks is one of my favorite subdivisions for that price range (wider lots, some views). That is walking distance to a park, but toof ar to walk to Steiner Ranch Elem. I had heard that it will be rezoned to laura Bush in the fall, but have not gotten confirmation. If so, kids can walk to school easily via the trail system that cuts through Central Park. Central Park is another neighborhood with homes under $300K, but the lots are tiny (some around .13 acres). Those builders are David Weekley and Mercedes. All of the builders in SR are about the same. Keep an eye on the older Newmark's though, I have heard of some framing issues. There are also a couple of foreclosures on Appaloosa Chase, which is walking distance to the schools, but the street can be hit or miss because there are a lot of rentals over there. I realize I answered way moe than you were asking for. Sorry...

Old 06-03-2009, 07:15 AM

what if we take out the walking distance to schools part? that's not going to be an issue for us for a few years so not the biggest deal. Any other areas besides Majestic Oaks to add to the list? I'm happy that I've seen so many listings in our price range. How wide are the older lots?

Old 06-03-2009, 08:11 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
We have a Morrison home built in 1998 and we love it. This house on this lot (1/3 acre, on cul-de-sac, backing to greenbelt) would cost $500,000+ if we were to buy a new one.

Areas to check are Rocky Ridge (where we are), Hancock Hill, The Headlands, and Majestic Oaks. You may also want to check Chapparal, Mesa North, Plateau, and Canyon Glen, but most of those houses are older and may not be as upgraded as you'd like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin