Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 12:02 PM

16 posts, read 127,001 times

Advertisements

There are pockets of high rates of crime and in those same pockets, close down schools instead of saving them,etc. Prostitution, illegal immigrant smuggling from Mexico and drugs run through the veins of the neighborhoods. This city has a long history of segregation and Austin bused kids until the 1980's. Ghetto is a loaded word-so that may be why the comments are laced with denial. The pockets addressed by the posters are segregated by race, class and income and that's the Real Austin. On the bright side if you live in an affluent urban neighborhood such as Clarksville you probably never deal with crime. Sad-but 100-percent honest and from the heart. Newcomers sometimes like to make the city out to be a perfect society. I won't even talk about local lawyers, govt. corruption and the lobbyists-I will leave that for another post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 01:33 AM

554 posts, read 1,061,021 times
Question on this area; East Austin on Poquito and East 12th Street to Springdale.

Is it a bad idea to ride (cycle) my expensive bike through there?

I've been on Poquito near Manor and it didn't seem like a bad area, just run down.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:07 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,737,895 times
I cycle north on Chicon past 12th somewhat frequently. It is not the best section of town so I try to time that particular light. Looks like Poquito street is just one block east of there near Sam's BBQ (very good Mutton by the way) so I would be a bit on guard in that area. I've never had an incident, people stare me down but there is usually some "activity" in the area and quite often police cars.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:02 AM

554 posts, read 1,061,021 times
Nice bike lanes in that area. I didn't have any problems riding it today. Although I did start to wonder if I was wearing the "wrong color".

Old 01-16-2011, 10:15 PM

4 posts, read 8,320 times
NO THERE ARE NO GHETTOS in Austin. Yes, there are predominately latino areas for Austin, but actually they have taken some horrible parts of town and have done well at revitalizing those neighborhoods - with their own style of decor. A good point is the Dove Springs area that was, and still is, ravaged by crack. Many recent immigrants have bought those homes, fixed them up, painted them in pastel colors, and planted gardens. I think this is a good thing. I lived in East Austin off 10th and Chicon for 12 years before it has the chic place to live. Nothing bad ever happened to me. I did just fine. Though I speak spanish I look very white and no one really cared

Old 01-17-2011, 07:03 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,510 times
Just don't go east of I-35, and you'll be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balps View Post
Are there any "ghettos" in Austin (unsafe areas) that I should avoid if I was looking for an area to live around Austin?

Old 01-17-2011, 10:42 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,435,039 times
There really aren't ghettos. There are areas where there is more crime, etc. But, being born near Chicago, Austin doesn't even come close to having a ghetto.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:04 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,376,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travieso View Post
NO THERE ARE NO GHETTOS in Austin. Yes, there are predominately latino areas for Austin, but actually they have taken some horrible parts of town and have done well at revitalizing those neighborhoods - with their own style of decor. A good point is the Dove Springs area that was, and still is, ravaged by crack. Many recent immigrants have bought those homes, fixed them up, painted them in pastel colors, and planted gardens. I think this is a good thing. I lived in East Austin off 10th and Chicon for 12 years before it has the chic place to live. Nothing bad ever happened to me. I did just fine. Though I speak spanish I look very white and no one really cared
For emphasis. I worked for years in central city Kansas City. THAT'S a ghetto; Austin has nothing even close to approaching it.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:17 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
I agree. I grew up in Saint Louis Missouri! There are no ghettos here.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:27 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
I've come to realize that people like to bandy the term "ghetto" freely when they really should not. For some people, a place becomes a "ghetto" the minute they see a few folks move in who do not mow their lawns, or are perceived as not making much money, or happen to be of a particular race, or a proliferation of 99 cent stores or ..what have you. For those people I say to you, go walk 174th Street in the South Bronx, or enter South Central. Austin has its unsavory areas, as all cities. But at least kids don't feel compelled to join the Bloods/Crips in order to have protection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin