Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 03:37 PM

207 posts, read 345,693 times

Advertisements

There are a few areas that Are for sure sketchy..

Just off the top of my head

North Lamar basically from Anderson ln north is ghetto.

North Lamar and rundberg

Parts of burnet

Stassney and 35 area

Norwood off 183 and 35

Plenty of parts off 35 are

The homeless shelter area downtown

I'm more familiar with north austin but
trust me there are some ugly areas that's for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 07:36 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,376,398 times
Nowhere in Austin is "ghetto" by any serious use of the term. There are working class areas, but it is nothing like deeply impoverished areas in other cities.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:05 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,981,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by north2south. View Post
Parts of burnet
I'm scratching my head to think of one. Which are you referring to? Southern/middle burnet is all fairly expensive. Burnet above 183 is more industrial, but hardly sketchy (and without any residential, it can't really be ghetto).

Old 12-08-2014, 08:09 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
I'm scratching my head to think of one. Which are you referring to? Southern/middle burnet is all fairly expensive. Burnet above 183 is more industrial, but hardly sketchy (and without any residential, it can't really be ghetto).
I'm thinking "ghetto" in this context falls into the category of "You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means."

Old 12-08-2014, 08:27 AM

675 posts, read 1,905,400 times
There are no ghettos here, compared with Oakland California, or Camden New Jersey, or parts of St. Louis, Philadelphia, East Los Angeles, etc. In fact, there is nothing even close in the entire state of Texas, with the possible exception of border towns that aren't safe due to Cartels.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:32 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I'm thinking "ghetto" in this context falls into the category of "You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means."
The only thing I can think of is maybe they're thinking of the Quail Creek area that starts behind the businesses along Burnet north of 183 and extends over to the Lamar area. Getting a bit better over there but still pretty rough. There are some pockets of roughness between Burnet and Lamar north of Anderson as well, although most of those are related to rundown apartment buildings. I'd expect a lot of changes over in that area as well due to the rate that the older centrally located apartments are evicting their current less financially flush tenants in order to fully renovate for trendy town transplants.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:53 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,981,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
The only thing I can think of is maybe they're thinking of the Quail Creek area that starts behind the businesses along Burnet north of 183 and extends over to the Lamar area.
Behind the businesses behind the businesses, behind the railroad tracks, and then behind other businesses. That's just to get to Metric, which along most of it has _another_ layer of warehouse/industrial/commercial before reaching any residential in Quail Creek.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:00 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,828,697 times
Quote:
anything north of 51st
I was actually up on North Loop yesterday looking at a property there and took a walk around the neighborhood - sandwiched in between McCallum to the North and the Texas Dept of Health to the South. I walked up Lamar a few blocks and it's definitely not pretty - lots of auto shops - but there's also a pretty new looking apartment complex there -- Camden? -- and the houses that are being redone there look pretty sweet.

In other words, while Lamar at 51st ain't Circle C, I got the sense that the rents in that area are going to start driving out a lot of the current residents. But then I'm biased since I'm looking at moving to exactly that part of town: so you tell me, would you build a house west of Lamar at 51st?

Old 12-08-2014, 01:40 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
There are no ghettos here, compared with Oakland California, or Camden New Jersey, or parts of St. Louis, Philadelphia, East Los Angeles, etc. In fact, there is nothing even close in the entire state of Texas, with the possible exception of border towns that aren't safe due to Cartels.
No, there aren't any inner city ghettos like NYC, but there are pockets of poverty here and throughout Texas that look just as bleak and suffer from the same issues that plague inner city ghettos (gang violence, higher crime, poorly performing schools, etc).

Old 12-08-2014, 01:41 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
I was actually up on North Loop yesterday looking at a property there and took a walk around the neighborhood - sandwiched in between McCallum to the North and the Texas Dept of Health to the South. I walked up Lamar a few blocks and it's definitely not pretty - lots of auto shops - but there's also a pretty new looking apartment complex there -- Camden? -- and the houses that are being redone there look pretty sweet.

In other words, while Lamar at 51st ain't Circle C, I got the sense that the rents in that area are going to start driving out a lot of the current residents. But then I'm biased since I'm looking at moving to exactly that part of town: so you tell me, would you build a house west of Lamar at 51st?
That's Brentwood. You can't pick up a house for under $300K in that area anymore --- most of the lower priced ones are tear downs or at least bought to remodel. Definitely not a depressed area at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin