Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 09:05 AM

351 posts, read 1,431,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleytexas View Post
I can't get over the people saying HEB is great, it's ok, but far from the store that it's propped up by some. The prices are not too bad, but not really cheap, the selection varies so much from area to area and you can't always get them to special order things for you. Any competition to them is welcomed.
I go to the HEB in Circle C. The customer service was good for the first few weeks after opening, now it's understaffed and employees are not helpful. It also does not help that when the store is full of customers they roll out pallets and block the already narrow aisles. It's a real nice touch as well when you walk into the store and you see a bench full of red HEB shirts chain smoking

The pricing fluctuates like gas prices too. Sometimes I see items cheaper items in Central Market then I see in HEB, vice versa. It makes no sense other then to manipulate pricing to gain maximum profit. This is fine, but they do it specifically because they don't have real competition. I welcome a discount grocer like Trader Joe's to put on the pressure.

The next time you go to Central Market look for the 2lb block of Tillermook special reserve cheese. They sell it for $18.99, that same exact cheese at Costco is about $7.99. HEB has purchasing power in Texas that rivals Wal-Mart and they can't come down a bit of the cheese?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 09:36 AM

118 posts, read 561,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
We don't have enough grocery stores? HEB, Randalls, Central Market, Whole Foods, Wheatsville, Target, WM, Costco, Sams, Farmers Markets, Sprouts
Here in Georgetown we only have HEB. I wouldn't consider our Wal-Mart or Target to be grocery stores. I'd go out of my way -- into Austin weekly -- to shop at Trader Joes!

Old 06-19-2009, 09:39 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
The customer service was good for the first few weeks after opening, now it's understaffed and employees are not helpful.
That is the one I shop at, and I have found the staff to be extremely helpful and pleasant. They also have had almost every checkout open during peak hours (usually 18 or 19 out of the 21 available, sometimes 20 of the 21) and I have very, very rarely had to wait behind more than one customer. During non-peak hours, they obviously have less open, but again, I almost never have to wait behind anyone, much less more than one customer.

Quote:
It also does not help that when the store is full of customers they roll out pallets and block the already narrow aisles.
I have notice the pallets out during peak hours recently. Not a huge number, but one or two each day that I have been in there after work. The only think I can think of is that they are trying to restock certain aisles that run out during the rush. They did do such a huge business when they opened that they would regularly have the shelves stripped during the afternoon run. It would be nice if there was a less obstructive way to stock them, though.
Quote:
see a bench full of red HEB shirts chain smoking
Yeah, that is kind of gross, there are often two or three people smoking out front on the benches.

As for Trader Joe's - I wonder if part of the reason they do not come here (or have not yet) is that they cannot buy food as cheaply and therefore cannot sell it as cheaply. It is possible that they would have to charge more to cover costs and would not be so significantly cheaper than Whole foods. I don't know much specifically about food markets, but I do know that the actual cost of produce and some other items are incredibly cheap in CA. That may not be the case here, so it may be a false assumption that they would come in and be the 'really good food really cheap' store in town. I suspect that they regularly discuss potential markets and pounce if they thought there was a great oppurtunity.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:42 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanas4 View Post
Here in Georgetown we only have HEB. I wouldn't consider our Wal-Mart or Target to be grocery stores. I'd go out of my way -- into Austin weekly -- to shop at Trader Joes!
I'd love for a Randall's to move in - was hoping they'd move in to the old Albertson's building before it had another use.

I do a fair amount of grocery shopping at the Wal-Mart in Georgetown - can get some items cheaper than at HEB (including some of their organic produce), and then there are some items that I can get at HEB that I can't get at Wal-Mart.

The Target in Georgetown, I agree, is a poor excuse for a grocery store.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:50 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
I have NEVER had a bad experience at the HEB in Circle C and my experiences reflect more of what Trainwreck writes. Although I've never noticed HEB smokers sitting outside so I guess I am missing break time.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:00 AM

351 posts, read 1,431,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
That is the one I shop at, and I have found the staff to be extremely helpful and pleasant. They also have had almost every checkout open during peak hours (usually 18 or 19 out of the 21 available, sometimes 20 of the 21) and I have very, very rarely had to wait behind more than one customer. During non-peak hours, they obviously have less open, but again, I almost never have to wait behind anyone, much less more than one customer.
The checkout has ALWAYS been fine with me as well. I'm talking about on the floor. I have seen 5+ people in line at the deli counter with only one person helping the customer, while 3 other people are back there doing there thing (wrapping cheese, looking at the chicken spinning in the rotisserie). I have also asked for help from an associate who comes across as disinterested and not willing to above and beyond his duties.

This was not the case with me though when they first opened, the service for me was fantastic overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
As for Trader Joe's - I wonder if part of the reason they do not come here (or have not yet) is that they cannot buy food as cheaply and therefore cannot sell it as cheaply. It is possible that they would have to charge more to cover costs and would not be so significantly cheaper than Whole foods. I don't know much specifically about food markets, but I do know that the actual cost of produce and some other items are incredibly cheap in CA. That may not be the case here, so it may be a false assumption that they would come in and be the 'really good food really cheap' store in town. I suspect that they regularly discuss potential markets and pounce if they thought there was a great oppurtunity.
Trader Joe's expands methodically, they do not use credit to expand they use cash. They are a private company as well.

In addition, Trader Joe's has to build a whole network of local distributors, i'e bakery's, farms, etc. in order to sell perishables with the Trader Joe's name on it, this takes time. Once Trader Joe's gets a strong hold in this state, the consumer will benefit when we go to our local HEB's and the like.

Someone mentioned in another thread about staying away from Trader Joe's during peak times. This is so true, they place is insane at times and I just can't handle it

Old 06-19-2009, 10:13 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
Trader Joe's expands methodically, they do not use credit to expand they use cash. They are a private company as well.
Heh, sounds identical to HEB, and I like that business model when you can make it work. The difficulty is being patient enough to grow a business over decades instead of immediate cash returns. As such, it would NEVER work for a public company today.

Quote:
In addition, Trader Joe's has to build a whole network of local distributors, i'e bakery's, farms, etc. in order to sell perishables with the Trader Joe's name on it. Once Trader Joe's gets a strong hold in this state, the consumer will benefit when we go to our local HEB's and the like.
Oh, I agree, competition would be good for HEB. HEB also has their own bakeries and food plants, mostly in the southern part of the state (Houston, CC, San Antonio) and I think their biggest danger is that they become the 800-lb gorilla in the room and forget what made them popular; however, I think that the owners are very savy and have so far succussfully avoided creating a 'need' for another store to offset their prices or as an alternative to a 'bad' employee attitude.

TJs probably looks at the big picture and sees a HUGE amount of risk. They would need a whole new network of food providers, and if they are self-owned, that in of itself is a huge expense, since they are geographically detached. Then, there is the issue of actual store fronts. HEB owns its own trucking fleet, I assume TJs does too. That is another cost, plus maintenance facilites. All told, if you are going to do that with cash, you better have a mint.

If you are going to expand incrementally (the most common cash model), then you will have to abandon some connections for a while - existing trucking fleet, additional shipping costs to get items from your factories, re-branding to replace items you cannot ship economically, etc. This would end up meaning that the costs will be much higher, at least for some extended period of time.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:55 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,610 times
Well, I love TJ and Aldi's !! And yeah, you gotta bag your own stuff... how outrageous! We certainly do not want to lift a single finger. One might hurt himself

That's how they do it all over Europe.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:32 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzyzx View Post
I go to the HEB in Circle C. The customer service was good for the first few weeks after opening, now it's understaffed and employees are not helpful. It also does not help that when the store is full of customers they roll out pallets and block the already narrow aisles. It's a real nice touch as well when you walk into the store and you see a bench full of red HEB shirts chain smoking

The pricing fluctuates like gas prices too. Sometimes I see items cheaper items in Central Market then I see in HEB, vice versa. It makes no sense other then to manipulate pricing to gain maximum profit. This is fine, but they do it specifically because they don't have real competition. I welcome a discount grocer like Trader Joe's to put on the pressure.
The same thing has happened at the Westlake Market HEB. Almost exactly what you are describing -- excellent service and low prices when it opened, then it declines. Now, in the evenings, there is only 1 open line and the self-checkout *maybe*. And when the self-checkout is open, the attendant is often not there... so it's a big hassle if something gets weighed wrong or won't scan. You may be sitting there for 15 minutes unless you go bug one of the other checkers yourself.

Prices there also seem to be higher than other HEBs on many things, and they were noticeably "cranked up" after about the first 6 months of operations. I wouldn't say they are fluctuating, more like just going up. I guess that will continue until people stop buying things.

As many HEB's do, they started closing 1 of the doors at 10PM. Then, at 9PM. Then they switched the door they closed to the main entrance (near the self-checkouts), leaving only the small secondary door open after 9PM. That entrance is farther from the checkouts and carts.

Honestly, I have always been a big HEB fan -- still am. But the experience with my new local HEB has soured things a bit. Too bad; hope they aren't all going down hill.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:09 PM

575 posts, read 2,496,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Well, I love TJ and Aldi's !! And yeah, you gotta bag your own stuff... how outrageous! We certainly do not want to lift a single finger. One might hurt himself

That's how they do it all over Europe.
I got to work today and on my chair was a TJs reusable grocery bag!!!! I couldn't believe it. And inside the bag was a package of Chocolate Covered Orange Sticks! Oh, I know, there are a lot of brands of orange sticks, but TJs are the BEST. I really hope they come to TX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin