Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 08:18 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,006,393 times

Advertisements

no
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 10:43 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,569,520 times
Gotta tell this story...someone on this board went to the same ceremony, I'm sure. Last month, ranch outside of Lometa, at least 400 guests, parking valets with stretch golf carts, two HUGE tents set up in grassy fields...bride rode up in a white carriage, groom in a stagecoach...
IT RAINED THREE INCHES IF IT RAINED A DROP!!! No lie...pretty steamy before the rain...our all-wheel-drive SUV was up to its hubs in mud in the 'parking' area...golf carts were sliding off the dirt driveway into the ditches...ceremony finished during constant thunder and wind...real rain didn't start until we walked the couple hundred yards to the reception tent...by the time we got seated and the food was heading our way, the flood consumed nearly all the dry land under the tent--no kidding, this tent was the size of a large house. The waitstaff took off their shoes and rolled up their pantlegs, pulled their hair back and kept on truckin'. There has to be a video on 'some-tube' out there. There may be cars still stuck in the parking area...amazing! What a send-off for the young couple!

BTW, best of luck to you! (I'd make sure of an indoor option!)

Old 07-15-2009, 12:57 PM

3,803 posts, read 9,330,468 times
My sister was married in mid-July in Scottsdale and made the men all wear Morning Coats. Of course, the pics were taken outside, and nobody bothered to even turn on the air conditioner. Another wedding in Austin was outdoors in July.

All weddings scheduled between May and October are those wherein the groom has zero input or zero influence.

If and when I decide to destroy my personal time via marriage, the ceremony will take place above the 35th parallel, will never take place between May and October, will not involve layers of clothing, and the reception will take place prior to the ceremony. At no time will the temperature broach 70 degrees F. Participating in a garish wedding in Hell-like conditions is simply the springboard to Wedded Subserviance.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:44 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,123,099 times
I would go if it were a close friend or relative, but I sure wouldn't be happy about it. And if you wanted it to be a formal event, I'd be pretty darn annoyed at having to wear pantyhose in 100 degree weather.

Too dang hot to be sitting in the heat. You'll have crying babies, whining kids, Aunt Rose ready to faint, and your preacher/priest/official will be sweating. Shoot for May if you want the summer weather without the godawful heat.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:08 AM

804 posts, read 1,966,136 times
I attended a friend's mid-summer outdoor wedding. The ceremony was short, and the reception was held at sunset in an covered area with swamp coolers and fans. I do have a high tolerance for heat though.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:16 AM

804 posts, read 1,966,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post

If and when I decide to destroy my personal time via marriage, the ceremony will take place above the 35th parallel, will never take place between May and October, will not involve layers of clothing, and the reception will take place prior to the ceremony. At no time will the temperature broach 70 degrees F. Participating in a garish wedding in Hell-like conditions is simply the springboard to Wedded Subserviance.
Sounds like the basis for a reality show

Old 08-15-2009, 08:40 AM

439 posts, read 1,257,635 times
Short answer is NO, I was at the pool with the grandkids last week sitting in the water and I was dying from the heat. No way would I go to a out door wedding in the heat. Weddings out doors at 80 degrees isn't even fun, unless you have a little breeze.

Make this a happy event and have all guest indoors with the air turned way down.

Debbie

Old 08-15-2009, 08:59 AM

205 posts, read 618,182 times
All the best with your outdoor wedding ceremony plans. I'm wondering whether you have a special reason for being married in June/July? Most people in this thread have advised against an outdoor wedding during this time - mainly because of the heat and possible downpour.

We were married outdoors at Lake Travis - absolutely perfect weather on the last day of September, a slight gentle breeze at 11am in the morning (the temperature was about 75 degs). The venue was free as it was a neighborhood lakeside park - with a guitarist singing and a marriage celebrant (however you have to get guest passes in advance from the HOA to get into the gated park). The lake was a perfect backdrop for our wedding, we have fabulous photos of us under the trees with the lake in the background. It wasn't first marriage for either of us, so we asked the guests to dress comfortably. The wedding party were all in wedding attire though. The reception was held indoors at our home.

Whatever date you decide upon - I believe in signs for a good marriage. You will know on the day!My first one, the wind blew my wedding veil off and into my dad's arms as I was exiting the limo. When we emerged from the church, we took a few steps and were rained on! It was a stormy marriage.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:07 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,757,537 times
I was in a wedding a couple of years ago in Austin in August. I don't know how much hotter it is in August, but we were ABSOLUTELY miserable.

If you want people to remember enjoying your wedding, I wouldn't reccomend it.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:29 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,654,138 times
The end of October is fantastic. I would avoid runny the make-up, strapless bras that are stuck to you, sweat dripping down your legs (under layers of dresses), bugs, swollen feet in nice shoes, frizzy hair and anxious hot guests by just having it in the fall or winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin