Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 09:35 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,064,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
The Seattle area is far more liberal than the Austin area. As a libertarian type, Seattle was too much of a nanny-city for me to bear. I guess I am kind of weird so neither seems particularly weird to me. What is weird anyway?

I feel freer to be myself here than I did there. I'm more of an outgoing type and Seattle has a very introverted culture overall. I feel like Austin has much greater ambient energy than Seattle if that makes any sense.
I ask these questions because I've never been to Seattle and I'm curious. I would like to visit Seattle some time. Yeah we're all weird in our own ways. There is something weird about everybody in this world so you're exactly right. What is weird?

You said that Seattle has an introverted culture. What does that mean? The people aren't very friendly or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 07:19 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
I ask these questions because I've never been to Seattle and I'm curious. I would like to visit Seattle some time. Yeah we're all weird in our own ways. There is something weird about everybody in this world so you're exactly right. What is weird?

You said that Seattle has an introverted culture. What does that mean? The people aren't very friendly or what?
It used to be there that people were polite, just not terribly warm or outgoing. After my last eight years there, I am not even sure that I would say there is an overall sense of politeness. For instance, people will let a door hit you in the face or will not offer their seat on the bus to an elderly passenger. The best way to describe it is there is an overall sense of "subdued" when you are on the streets. Strangers are either cold or "pleasant" but it seems like a crime if you show any emotion or hold a strong opinion. Obviously, this is just my perception; but it is after 18 years there.

Here's an article about what one reporter termed the Seattle Freeze The Seattle Times: Pacific Northwest Magazine : Our Social Disease
but there's a raging debate on CD regarding its existence //www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...on-thread.html From the way the reporter describes the freeze, I don't know if I agree head on, especially about the "politeness" there. But the last time I lived there was right after a stint here so I was used to a much greater display of public manners when I moved back there.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
It used to be there that people were polite, just not terribly warm or outgoing. After my last eight years there, I am not even sure that I would say there is an overall sense of politeness. For instance, people will let a door hit you in the face or will not offer their seat on the bus to an elderly passenger. The best way to describe it is there is an overall sense of "subdued" when you are on the streets. Strangers are either cold or "pleasant" but it seems like a crime if you show any emotion or hold a strong opinion. Obviously, this is just my perception; but it is after 18 years there.

Here's an article about what one reporter termed the Seattle Freeze The Seattle Times: Pacific Northwest Magazine : Our Social Disease
but there's a raging debate on CD regarding its existence //www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...on-thread.html From the way the reporter describes the freeze, I don't know if I agree head on, especially about the "politeness" there. But the last time I lived there was right after a stint here so I was used to a much greater display of public manners when I moved back there.
I've never wanted to live in Seattle because of all the cloudy, drizzly weather. I heard the weather is like that 9 or 10 months a year. I've always hated dreary weather. I like to receive rain the way we get it in Texas. It rains cats and horses for 30 minutes and then it clears up and is sunny again. Maybe people in Seattle aren't well-mannered because everybody is depressed because of the weather. I've heard the suicide rate in Seattle is high because of the weather. Maybe that's why Texans are friendlier because houses are cheap so there is less stress and it's sunny the vast majority of the time.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:21 PM

25 posts, read 111,120 times
I've lived in Austin for 42 years and, in my opinion, Austin stopped being "weird" a long time ago. Austin was weird in the 70's and 80's when living here was much more affordable to artists, musicians and other creative types. The unprecedented growth of the past two decades has made Austin much less unique, kind of like a smaller version of Dallas. The pace of life is more hectic and most of the new growth consists of strip malls and suburban sprawl. Don't get me wrong, Austin is still a great place to live. I just don't see it as being particularly weird any more.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTinTx View Post
I've lived in Austin for 42 years and, in my opinion, Austin stopped being "weird" a long time ago. Austin was weird in the 70's and 80's when living here was much more affordable to artists, musicians and other creative types. The unprecedented growth of the past two decades has made Austin much less unique, kind of like a smaller version of Dallas. The pace of life is more hectic and most of the new growth consists of strip malls and suburban sprawl. Don't get me wrong, Austin is still a great place to live. I just don't see it as being particularly weird any more.
It will be a long time before it's sprawled out like Houston. Houston is the king of suburban sprawl. Austin is definitely weird compared to Houston. Houston is a very average, sprawled out beast of a city.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:14 AM

282 posts, read 526,319 times
Everybody and everywhere else is WIERD, I think some of you are wierd for posting some of the things you are posting sooooooo is city data wierd?? I like it, life would be so boring without all the wierdos! So cheers to being wierd (whatever that may be)!

Old 09-07-2009, 10:37 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,567,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
It will be a long time before it's sprawled out like Houston. Houston is the king of suburban sprawl. Austin is definitely weird compared to Houston. Houston is a very average, sprawled out beast of a city.
Well Houston is *definitely* weird compared to Bug Tussle, Alabama.

Etc.

I think it's not so much whether Austin is really 'weird' as much as can the weirdness that Austin had be capitalized on to bring in more revenue for the real estate people living here now.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2redheads View Post
Everybody and everywhere else is WIERD, I think some of you are wierd for posting some of the things you are posting sooooooo is city data wierd?? I like it, life would be so boring without all the wierdos! So cheers to being wierd (whatever that may be)!
This is what I've said several times before. I always tell people we're all weird in our own ways. Everybody has something weird about them. Like you said weirdness is a good thing. It makes life interesting.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post

Etc.

I think it's not so much whether Austin is really 'weird' as much as can the weirdness that Austin had be capitalized on to bring in more revenue for the real estate people living here now.
Bug Tussle now that's a weird name. Is that a real place?

Old 09-07-2009, 02:10 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post

Etc.

Sigh. Once again, "Keep Austin Weird" has nothing to do with commercialization, really.

Go to Keep Austin Weird and maybe, just maybe, you'll be able to comprehend what the real meaning of the phrase is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin