Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 08:26 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,064,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And there's nothing wrong with gun toting, Wiccan or otherwise. (And, yes, I know some of those - nice people.) Or NASCAR, for that matter, just not my cup of tea.
I agree but there are a lot of people that are less open-minded that think there is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
It's not a church. It's a nightclub/concert hall/events center.
I know. I was joking. I guess it's hard to tell that when it's in written form. The sign in the picture said something church. So I figured I would have a little fun with it.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Austin, anyway, certainly isn't a hotbed of fundamentalism. It has, for example, an extremely liberal and gay-welcoming Baptist congregation, University Baptist. It has many "Reconciling in Christ" (i.e. gay welcoming) Lutheran and Methodist congregations. It has plenty of Episcopalians, most pretty progressive. It has a lovely Reform Jewish congregation. Etc Etc. Even Dallas, TX has the largest predominantly gay congregation in the world, The Cathedral of Hope. Yes, there are God botherers (to use the British term for Bible bangers) in Texas, but it ain't the whole story by a long shot.
Yes Austin has been a blue speck in a very red state. That's about to change in a big way. The whole state is going to flip to a blue state in the next 2 or 3 elections. Texas is about to flip parties just like CA did a few decades back. With the rising Hispanic population and the people moving in from CA and the north that blue speck is about to get a lot bigger. The fundamentalists are about to become the minority in TX. The days of hardcore fundamentalism are almost over.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:38 PM

634 posts, read 1,448,615 times
There is nothing weird about Austin. Period.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:45 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,330,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Just checking to see what you all really mean weird? San Fran & NOLA are weird but I do not see the weirdness in Austin
Nope. Austin, TX is certainly not weird. It's just different. It's different in a good way. The music scene is exceptional. The variety of book stores is wonderful.

There is a lot to do in Austin. My cousin graduated from UT in the early 80s and has never left Austin. She likes it that much and so do her children.

It's a cool town.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:46 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
Hey Nomad,

You are cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic9460678748 View Post
There is nothing weird about Austin. Period.

You wouldn't be able to tell the difference. And thank God fundamentalists are on there way out. Hopefully all the fundies in the USA someday congregate in Utah or Mississippi. They can form a theocracy state LMAO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
Yes Austin has been a blue speck in a very red state. That's about to change in a big way. The whole state is going to flip to a blue state in the next 2 or 3 elections. Texas is about to flip parties just like CA did a few decades back. With the rising Hispanic population and the people moving in from CA and the north that blue speck is about to get a lot bigger. The fundamentalists are about to become the minority in TX. The days of hardcore fundamentalism are almost over.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:59 PM

634 posts, read 1,448,615 times
Thank you Artsy. You are cool as well.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:40 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,595,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinite45 View Post
reality is even worse if you count the illegal Hispanic immigrants. worse still is their sheer lack of basic social etiquettes and manners -- playing loud music wherever they go, throwing garbage wherever they go, shouting, honking, verbally harassing females on the streets ...

Texans are definitely not smart. that's why brain dead crack head GW Bush managed to get into the governor's office and the White house.
Is there a group that you DON'T stereotype? You've stereotyped illegal aliens as all being Hispanic and all having terrible social skils, as well as Texans as not being intelligent, within a space of four inches. I did not believe that was possible.

I don't believe you've made a single post that wasn't either factually inaccurate or an attack on some person or group.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:48 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,038,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Nope. Austin, TX is certainly not weird. It's just different. It's different in a good way. The music scene is exceptional. The variety of book stores is wonderful.

There is a lot to do in Austin. My cousin graduated from UT in the early 80s and has never left Austin. She likes it that much and so do her children.

It's a cool town.
Weird is just a word...and a poor one at that....eclectic might be better....creative....open minded...receptive....tuned-in....anything but weird..prob the lamest motto ever.....sorry they got saddled and seemingly forever cursed with it..

Old 07-17-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
Weird is just a word...and a poor one at that....eclectic might be better....creative....open minded...receptive....tuned-in....anything but weird..prob the lamest motto ever.....sorry they got saddled and seemingly forever cursed with it..
I don't think weird is a bad word. Weird can be good or bad. You can tell weird jokes and people think you have a weird sense of humor because you tell weird jokes but they like you though and they laugh at your weird jokes. So in this case weird is a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin