Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 04:36 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former Odessan in Austin View Post
Who said I was talking about rural Texas? These hayseeds thrive all over the state. Have you spent much time in Midland, Lubbock or for that matter Dallas. Face it, Texas is firmly set in the Bible Belt and Austin is a nice oasis surrounded by ignorance.
That statement just REEKS of ignorance. Why do you feel the need to pump yourself up by putting others down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 04:38 PM

80 posts, read 108,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post

That's party true, yet so much more to the story than that.....the sunbelt DOES have a large amount of religious fundamentalism..the name "bible belt" wasn't pulled out of thin air. Texas is a very large part of the same, and may have the most recognizable "mega-congregations" and well known mega-preachers....per the following, just for a taste...

Cookies | Joel Osteen Ministries

Fellowship Church | Home

The Potter's House (http://www.thepottershouse.org/PH_about.html - broken link)

Austin has a few itself....

The Austin Stone Community Church

Shoreline Christian Center Church in Austin, TX

Riverbend Church - Embracing Austin - Home

Calvary Austin

Great Hills Baptist Church

And keep in mind that Austin is supposedly removed from such influences, which is obviously not the case.....Austin has far more "megas" than most would think.....
So, can you translate a large Protestant/Baptist strain, a strain that emotes greatly, and televises all over the nation, to HAYSEEDS?

I really don't think so...its an american thing, and was just as much a part of america when Billy Sunday was screaming at the turn of the century, or the 1800's traveling preachers were "running the circuit"....just an American thing.......BUT, and a big but, they DO have overwhelming influence in the political agenda of the nation, and VERY much were responsible for putting Reagan/Bush in the White House for 20 years, AND maintaining vestiges of the middle-ages like the Death Penalty in Texas..........

Do they personify Texas, much as big oil and such does? Possibly.....but
Texas moves on in spite of the same, and their influence is markedly lessening......

Texas will get rid of that part of itself its OWN self.....and will lead the nation once it jettisons those vestiges of the same...

I never said we were "removed from such influences", I just said that Austin is not overrun with such nonsense as the rest of the state seems to be. My whole point is Austin isn't wierd, it would be the norm in most states but not in Texas.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:39 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
That statement just REEKS of ignorance. Why do you feel the need to pump yourself up by putting others down?
Why get tied in a knot about a post? We don't even know this poster, or each other, for that matter....and he/she evidentally believes it, so be it....sometimes grains of truth are hidden in "uproar backlashes"

Old 07-16-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I never said we were "removed from such influences", I just said that Austin is not overrun with such nonsense as the rest of the state seems to be. My whole point is Austin isn't wierd, it would be the norm in most states but not in Texas.
I agree....always reminded me of a diamond in an array of black velvet....the background IS the definition/border as much as the diamond itself......if it all glittered so pretty per the black background no one would pay attention to the point of brilliance(Austin)

http://www.savesucash.com/sterling-silver-black-box-earrings.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-16-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
Why get tied in a knot about a post? We don't even know this poster, or each other, for that matter....and he/she evidentally believes it, so be it....sometimes grains of truth are hidden in "uproar backlashes"
Because she's insulting people she's never met in her zeal to be another Austin cheerleader. There aren't megachurches in Every other place in Texas, except for the major metros. There aren't even only Christians in tiny litte towns all over the state. I know quite a few people who are athiests and wiccans who live in small, gulf coast towns. I don't think Austin is the bestest place in the whole world. I like it, but really don't think it's so great that I'll put down everyone else and every place else to give it a hip, hip hooray.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:08 PM

80 posts, read 108,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Because she's insulting people she's never met in her zeal to be another Austin cheerleader. There aren't megachurches in Every other place in Texas, except for the major metros. There aren't even only Christians in tiny litte towns all over the state. I know quite a few people who are athiests and wiccans who live in small, gulf coast towns. I don't think Austin is the bestest place in the whole world. I like it, but really don't think it's so great that I'll put down everyone else and every place else to give it a hip, hip hooray.
Like I said in my original post Austin isn't wierd, it just has a high percentage of educated people as opposed to Texas, which does not.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Like I said in my original post Austin isn't wierd, it just has a high percentage of educated people as opposed to Texas, which does not.
I think people make more of Austin than it is, which actually is not fair at all TO Austin...its a nice place amongst many nice places across the usa......leave that mess to the "top/best places" people...

Old 07-16-2009, 05:40 PM

I would add that most college towns and cities have their share of educated people. Houston, Dallas, some parts of S. Texas...among several others. I didn't see any hillbilly hayseeds on the square in Georgetown today.

Austin IS in Texas. I'm just saying, since you said Austin isn't wierd, it just has a high percentage of educated people as opposed to Texas, which does not. I don't think I'd tell all the engineers and astronauts in Clear Lake/League City that they were uneducated or any of the energy CEO's, whether for green energy companies in W. Texas or Oil on the Gulf that they are uneducated, or the fine medical personnel in Dallas, Tyler and Houston that they are uneducated or the well to do ranchers and farmers who put food on our tables, or the forest rangers and game wardens and people who help protect our wildlife.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:43 PM

Too many outsiders moving into Texas leads to all these opinions as well....way back when no one was moving here, these things were not issues..now that the entire country has adopted/is moving to Texas, everyone has an opinion about it, and its cities.......

Somehow it seemed better before, when the state wasn't even an issue to the rest of the USA...

Old 07-16-2009, 05:50 PM

I actually think you're spot on I didn't notice that even 5-10 yrs ago and now it's just crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin