Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 11:07 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times

Advertisements

Waiting for the market to solve the problem just makes the problem get that much worse before there is enough incentive to fix the problem.

Also, since St. Augustine is more readily available, it is also cheaper so many builders and homeowners put it in without recognizing how much more the long term cost is going to be to water it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 05:37 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
My St. Augie is looking great, and we water on Weds. and Sat.; we have a shady yard. If the St. Augie looked bad, we'd put in fake grass. HAve ya'll seen it? It looks great.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:45 AM

589 posts, read 1,813,080 times
Aren't HOA's governed by the residents? Forgive my ignorance but it seems to me that HOA's (residents) could amend bylaws to allow and encourage modifications to landscape provisions in the C C & R's. During my recent visit, I was stunned at the absence of drought friendly landscaping. It certainly is more aesthetically pleasing than St. Augustine Grass (which looks like crab grass) both green and dying. I think a nice mix of native plants, ornamental rocks and even some small amount of grass would look very nice and benefit the environment and the people.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:38 AM

434 posts, read 1,081,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
We are running out of water in Central Texas. Is it time to outlaw St. Augustine grass and replace it with drought resistant native plants? I know I'm using way more water then I like trying to keep the stuff alive.
I'd rather outlaw some (or ALL) human beings first.

Think about it ... the earth would be truly like heaven without any human beings!

Old 08-21-2009, 10:40 AM

870 posts, read 1,627,053 times
why the hell would anyone want to outlaw a type of grass? do you guys WANT to live in a nanny state? there are plenty of them that you can move to if you wish. unreal.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:30 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
why the hell would anyone want to outlaw a type of grass? do you guys WANT to live in a nanny state? there are plenty of them that you can move to if you wish. unreal.
There are numerous good reasons for outlawing St. Augustine Grass, such as:

1. 2009 Central Texas Drought (http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/local/drought.html - broken link)

2. Drought pushes LCRA to urge 25 percent cut in water use (http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/2009/08/14/0814drought.html - broken link)

3. We probably would not need to build this $508 million Water Treatment Plant 4 for many more years if all had drought tolerant landscaping.

4. People are to bull-headed stubborn and selfish to do what is right on their own.

5. It would be fun to watch the steam blow out of your ears.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
Agreed!

Old 08-21-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:

1. 2009 Central Texas Drought (http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/local/drought.html - broken link)

2. Drought pushes LCRA to urge 25 percent cut in water use (http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/2009/08/14/0814drought.html - broken link)

3. We probably would not need to build this $508 million Water Treatment Plant 4 for many more years if all had drought tolerant landscaping.
I don't see any logic in this. What about trees and other types of grass? What about water-drinking human beings?

Quote:
4. People are to bull-headed stubborn and selfish to do what is right on their own.
sounds like a good reason to ban those people. what does grass have anything to do with it?

Quote:
It would be funner to watch you make a shade for the grass under the afternoon Sun with your body.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:52 AM

786 posts, read 2,762,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLadylawX View Post
Aren't HOA's governed by the residents? Forgive my ignorance but it seems to me that HOA's (residents) could amend bylaws to allow and encourage modifications to landscape provisions in the C C & R's. During my recent visit, I was stunned at the absence of drought friendly landscaping. It certainly is more aesthetically pleasing than St. Augustine Grass (which looks like crab grass) both green and dying. I think a nice mix of native plants, ornamental rocks and even some small amount of grass would look very nice and benefit the environment and the people.
Technically yes. But in most new subdivisions the developer keeps control of the HOA until a certain percentage of the lots are sold. And since the developer can keep adding new phases into the mix, this can take a LOOONNNGGGG time to happen.

In the meantime, the developer is going to make sure that rules are in place to make the whole place look neat and inviting and convince new people to buy the new houses. That usually means nice green lawns.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:46 PM

870 posts, read 1,627,053 times
Quote:

ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin