Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 03:21 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times

Advertisements

$1800/mo?

...for a studio?

......In Round Rock?

I wouldn't rent a 3000 sf house there for that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 04:01 PM

589 posts, read 1,812,951 times
Okay jobert, tell me what is wrong with Round Rock? Our arrival in Austin is imminent and we will be looking to rent first then buy in a year or so. We are looking for an upscale community of professionals (okay, some snob appeal) there I said it. Do tell.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:16 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
$1800/mo?

...for a studio?

......In Round Rock?

I wouldn't rent a 3000 sf house there for that much.
Round Rock's coming up in the world, didn't you know?

Old 08-04-2009, 04:18 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLadylawX View Post
Okay jobert, tell me what is wrong with Round Rock? Our arrival in Austin is imminent and we will be looking to rent first then buy in a year or so. We are looking for an upscale community of professionals (okay, some snob appeal) there I said it. Do tell.
He hates anywhere that's not downtown Austin. There is nothing wrong with Round Rock, but I will say I find it sad that people come to the area looking for snob appeal when that's not what Austin was ever about.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:34 PM

I'm not coming to Austin to look for snob appeal. I'm coming to Austin because of its reputation for good people and a favorable business climate.

I wish I could regret using the term "snob appeal" but I cannot. Coming from California, I saw subdivisions spring up overnight that sold Million Dollar homes in neighborhoods immediately adjacent to major ganglands and streets infested with drive-by shootings. Call me paranoid even though I do realize that Austin has one of the lowest crime rates in the country for its population and demographics which is why I want to move there. Still I will not apologize because I want to live in the best of areas.

My guess is that there have always been plenty of people in Austin who looked for neighborhoods with snob appeal. There are just more of them now like there are more of lots of different type of people since the City has grown so much.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:50 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:
Yeah. We were looking for a place for my husband and our cats while I pack our house and drive out later with our dogs. Just slimy. Really, for that amount of money, we could just rent our permanent house. What is the point?
How is it slimy for the apartment owners to charge what people are willing to pay? Nobody owes your husband a short term rental for what you'd like to pay. I don't mean to sound snotty, but think about the implications of what you are writing.

I am guessing from your handle that you practice law. How much is your hourly rate? $300? Is that slimy or is that what the market will bear? I bet there are lots of people that would prefer to pay you $75 per hour, are you slimy because you bill at $300?

Old 08-04-2009, 08:58 PM

Actually, I work with low income people so I'm on a sliding scale and charge people what they can afford. 8 years out of law school and I'm still sitting on more than $100k in student loans.

Slimy is charging more than $3000 for 7 weeks of stay in a studio apartment. A six month lease at $500 per month is the same price. Come to think of it, I should just rent the place for 6 months and not even bother using it, just let it sit vacant.

I understand the whole missed opportunity thing with a short term renter and I'm sorry but even if the place sat vacant for a month before they found another renter, they still come ahead 2 months of rent in a 6 month period. Anyway, I give up. I'll just stick it to evil corporate America. Its not coming out of my pocket anyway. Trying to stay positive while I sit here alone in California packing up our home while my husband is in a Hotel for the next 7 weeks.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
I'm not coming to Austin
You're correct, you're coming to Round Rock. There is nothing the matter with Round Rock. It is good for families.
I don't think you ever told us where you're office is located.

I wasn't knocking RR, but $1800 is waaay too much much to spend on a studio in the suburbs. The whole point of the suburbs is that they're affordable. Round Rock has the same amenities as Anytown, USA. but there is nothing geographically containing it, and it is not "exclusive" - it's sprawl. oops, I knocked RR, my bad.

Positive summary: it's good for families, bad for everything else.

Last edited by jobert; 08-05-2009 at 07:50 AM..

Old 08-05-2009, 07:41 AM

If you're looking for snob appeal, you need to look in SW Austin. You will be close to hill country, downtown, wineries, lakes, etc.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:21 AM
gdu

256 posts, read 699,637 times
Quote:
Actually, I work with low income people so I'm on a sliding scale and charge people what they can afford. 8 years out of law school and I'm still sitting on more than $100k in student loans.

Slimy is charging more than $3000 for 7 weeks of stay in a studio apartment. A six month lease at $500 per month is the same price. Come to think of it, I should just rent the place for 6 months and not even bother using it, just let it sit vacant.

I understand the whole missed opportunity thing with a short term renter and I'm sorry but even if the place sat vacant for a month before they found another renter, they still come ahead 2 months of rent in a 6 month period. Anyway, I give up. I'll just stick it to evil corporate America. Its not coming out of my pocket anyway. Trying to stay positive while I sit here alone in California packing up our home while my husband is in a Hotel for the next 7 weeks.
In another thread you made it seem like $45k per year wasn't much so you are obviously making a bit more than that even working with low income people. How come you still have over $100k in student loans after more than 8 years?

If you had paid those down, maybe you wouldn't have to complain about paying the market rate for a short term rental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin