Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 04:54 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,989,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwv View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that there are good percentage of 18-23 co ed types who actually want guys in their 30s because so many guys their age are immature jerks. Young women who do this aren't nearly as clueless as people think; and nor are older guys automatically creepy.

Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp are still sex symbols to women in their 20s even those both of these guys are in their 40s. There are "real world" versions of these guys around if you look for them.

What's creepy is when these relationships are more about money (i.e., buying her fancy things); or when there is a serious mis-match in looks.
really? i mean i remember my friends and i when we were in that age group, and few were into men that were that much older. actually, power to the younger women who realized that older men offer more than guys in their age group (but more competition for me lol). i also thought the greek scene was huge at ut and many of those hot girls are in sororities and go for the guys in fraternities.

i have seen few men in their 40s look as good as brad pitt or johnny depp though. actually good isnt the right word. i mean more age well. i actually am not attracted to either of them at all. i go for jeff goldblum and that guy from house.

from what i know with talking to a ut alumni out here is that if i am in a bar "on the prowl" (i dont expect meeting someone at a bar though lol), to stick to the warehouse district where there is a slightly "older" crowd vs 6th street. the joke is, i think i would like that riverside area more because i like more seedy places (thats what some austin kids told me).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 05:07 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,233,328 times
Apparently, according to this thread, you are either fat or you are thin. No in between. I'm SURE I would be considered "fat" by some guys. And "thin" by others. It just sort of depends. I think I'm just average. Some guys think of you're anything bigger than anorexic, that means your fat. Luckily, I met a guy who thinks I'm perfect.

You, ATXWhatever "easily" lost 30 pounds. Wow. Good for you. That must have felt good. You didn't give birth first, I'm guessing. Guys are, if ANYthing, LESS desperate in their 30s! Like someone above mention, there's a shift of power where they're more desperate in their 20s and less so in their 30s. Which is another reason they're better to date. They have their crap together and know what they're looking for.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:37 PM
mwv

207 posts, read 673,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingLA2010 View Post
really? i mean i remember my friends and i when we were in that age group, and few were into men that were that much older. actually, power to the younger women who realized that older men offer more than guys in their age group (but more competition for me lol). i also thought the greek scene was huge at ut and many of those hot girls are in sororities and go for the guys in fraternities.
Technically, if co-ed = sorority girl, they don't date older guys typically.

What is found in relationships where large age differences are "okay" is when both people have a strong common interest that they're passionate about, like music or philosophy or science. Such matters tend to transcend age and appearance (within reason); and the relationship is genuinely about more than sex for the guy and more than about buying her affection for the girl, but such experiences tend to be unsustainable over the longer run.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:38 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,125,137 times
I doubt you'll have any problems here. IMHO; unless you are obese you won't find weight being a specific issue. And personally, if someone is that shallow do you really want to spend time with them?

I have lost 30 lbs; and it wasn't what I would call "no big deal" weight is an issue for many of us even if we exercise and eat right. I'm not really overweight by more than a couple of pounds but it isn't easy. I have riden bikes with woman and guys that have 30-40 lbs on me and they are hammers and are very fast. So looks can be deceiving.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:44 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Austin is a sporty/running town. You have to be fit. I don't think men are going for skinny girls who wimp out on a bike ride or run, but they don't want 'big' girls who can't keep up either. There are some pretty hot guys here....check out the trail on town lake after work!

Old 08-07-2009, 05:47 PM

988 posts, read 3,255,638 times
They tend to like the short, blond(natural or not) former sorority chicks in great shape, at least most of my friends do. Most of them look the same with their hair, height, make-up, clothing, etc. Austin's becoming Orange County and/or Dallas now, lol.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:07 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,292,634 times
Women around Austin tend to be thicker, more muscular and curvy (not fat, but definitely some meat on their bones). I agree with the comment about being "fit"... that's really what is important, regardless of whether or not you have some "junk in the trunk". I personally prefer *real* women over anorexic barbie dolls (as do most men around here).

Old 08-07-2009, 07:18 PM

194 posts, read 440,445 times
I am 32, and I just moved to Austin. I think you're pretty cute OP. I know how you feel about having an irregular body type. I am extremely thin for a guy. I've tried working out to bulk up, but my metabolism just doesn't allow it. It can be frustrating sometimes. Good luck!

Old 08-07-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
They tend to like the short, blond(natural or not) former sorority chicks in great shape, at least most of my friends do. Most of them look the same with their hair, height, make-up, clothing, etc. Austin's becoming Orange County and/or Dallas now, lol.
oh my really?!
i was talking about relocating to austin or dallas to a friend of mine that has traveled all over the states for business. he said that dallas is just like orange county except no beaches lol. he told me "look, you have red hair, wear clothes from thrift stores, and arent into trendy clubs. go to austin". i went to arizona state for college and had a hard time dating there. my friends and i were attractive, but not what the asu guys (drunk, dumb, tanning salon going frat boys anyway lol) wanted. we joked that the asu girl looked like they took a blonde abercrombie and fitch model and cloned her.

i actually was hoping to give fayettveille, ark a try. the people on that board were really sweet and helpful. i just realized though, as a practicing jew, it doesnt have a jewish community which is very important to me. people there were telling me it is like how austin used to be, but that it just doesnt have many jews there. also there are many more schools in the austin area where i would have a better chance of getting a job, vs. in the fayetteville area.

i was looking into relocating into a few cities, and austin just seems to be exactly what i am looking for. i am going back this september with a friend to check it out again. the only cons for me i could think about are the summers (i usually travel my summers anyway so it isnt a factor), and how i might have difficulty dating there like i have here in la. hopefully it isnt a factor though. most guys in austin didnt really strike me as shallow. seemed more down to earth, casual, and earthy which is what i go for.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzOne View Post
I am 32, and I just moved to Austin. I think you're pretty cute OP. I know how you feel about having an irregular body type. I am extremely thin for a guy. I've tried working out to bulk up, but my metabolism just doesn't allow it. It can be frustrating sometimes. Good luck!
yep!
it is funny. if you look at my body from the side, i look actually slender. but like in the picture in my profile i have a waist and hips. if you were to touch my hips, you wouldnt be able to pinch any fat because i really dont have any. i am a product of having wide birthing hips and well, thats just how i am made!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin