Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 11:15 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,392,525 times

Advertisements

My wife and I plan on moving to Austin next summer, and we would like to live in a condo/loft. I know the market will have changed at least some by next summer and that we should choose a home based on what we really want in the end, but I'd like to know what property types are fairing the best/worst in Austin. Are single houses doing better than condos, etc?

We don't know what area(s) we would like to live in just yet, but we will be making a trip in October for a 3-day weekend to do some looking around. I have friends that live in east Austin so I have been looking at condos/lofts in that area. We would like to live downtown, although I don't think we will end up there because it is more than likely too expensive. Wherever we end up, we want to be within walking/biking distance to our everyday needs and other amenities such as cafes, restaurants, shopping.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 12:09 PM

44 posts, read 128,746 times
A back yard is hard to beat in the resale market. East Austin has some great buys for condos. I think we should see a bottom of the condo market very soon.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROnelson View Post
A back yard is hard to beat in the resale market. East Austin has some great buys for condos. I think we should see a bottom of the condo market very soon.
I have a backyard currently and it is nice to have, but to be honest, I would rather have a courtyard that is maintained by someone other than me.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:28 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
The real deals are in the downtown condos built prior to the current boom. No one seems to want them, but the location is great. You can find several for less than $150K.

Close-in East Austin, IMO, is overpriced. The current values seem to be accounting for full gentrification, which hasn't happened yet. It's just too much $$$ for the quality of the neighborhood, schools, and amenities.

My general rules for condos in Austin: 1) Buy where there is no SF housing to compete with (ie, downtown), or 2) Buy where the SF housing is prohibitively expensive (ie, central neighborhoods like Tarrytown, Travis Heights, SoCo). 3) Buy an older condo for a better value. 4) Never buy a condo in a SF area where homes are reasonably priced -- that's a sure resale loss. Condo's won't compete well against SF housing.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:33 PM

18 posts, read 53,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Buy where there is no SF housing to compete with (ie, downtown.
What does "SF" mean?

Old 08-28-2009, 04:48 PM

85 posts, read 207,775 times
SF = square foot

Old 08-28-2009, 04:49 PM

475 posts, read 1,644,243 times
Single Family

Old 08-28-2009, 04:50 PM

18 posts, read 53,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dick1973 View Post
Single Family
Thanks!

Old 08-28-2009, 05:12 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Yes, I meant single family (sorry about that). In Austin (and all Texas cities) the vast majority of people live in, and want to buy, single family housing. So condo demand can be fickle.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Yes, I meant single family (sorry about that). In Austin (and all Texas cities) the vast majority of people live in, and want to buy, single family housing. So condo demand can be fickle.
Currently, yes - I would agree that the majority of people currently do live in single family homes, but since the 2005-06 peak of the housing construction boom in the United States, the growth rates of central cities have begun to gain ground on surrounding suburban areas. Urban population is increasing at a rate of roughly 1% every 20 years now, while suburban population is decreasing at a rate of roughly 1% every 20 years. Now with the recession, the housing construction industry has taken an even bigger hit, which will only further hurt the suburban population growth numbers. Since cities tend to have a much higher percentage of diverse residential properties, the demand for condos will increase as will all properties in the city. I'm just hoping I can get there before the demand is so high that I can't afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin