Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,651 times

Advertisements

This is sooo true!!! I applied in Sept and interviewed in Oct for the Gessner location in Houston. The interview went smoothly (to me) yet I received an email stating that I had not been selected. I was really bummed out about not being selected because I had just lost my full time job and was working part time. I'm still working part time and have been applying EVERYWHERE looking for a stable work environment. Well on Friday (Feb 15) I received an e-mail from the DPS office I applied for stating they have an opening and if I was still interested! I was super excited and this could not have come at a better time! I forwarded all my updated information and was informed today that my information has been sent to Austin for the background check (no worries!). Not sure how long that process will take but I'm just happy to know that I'm one step closer to a better job!! I checked this post to prepare me for the interview and when I read the one from butterfly_94501 it gave me some encouragement! So thanks Butterfly_94501 looks like we could possibly be co-workers!!! I'm going to continue to check the post see what else I have in store for this process and will provide any valuable information I come across!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 12:09 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Best of luck to all of you in your new careers.

My wife started out in 1982 with the Texas Health Department as a clerk after all our kids were in school. She rose pretty rapidly and became a program manager in the licensing division, retiring almost 10 years ago. She enjoyed the work she did and was very good at it.....being to go-to person most everybody consulted on how to deal with problems.

Be prompt, be courteous, be competent, and get along with your co-workers.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:28 AM

4 posts, read 10,143 times
Since this thread has been relatively recent, I wanted to see if anyone had any input on how long it usually takes from when a job posting closes to get a call for an interview with the state?

I applied for a job and going on 3 weeks now it still says "Application Complete."

Also, does anyone know if they end up selecting someone else, does it remain at "Application Complete" forever?

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-04-2013, 03:06 PM

73 posts, read 191,290 times
November 13 2012 Application submitted
December 02 2012 Interview
December 21 2012 Conditional offer of employment and submit background packet by January 2 2012/
February 07 2013 Final offer of employment
February 19 2013 Start Date.

It was a tedious process but well worth it imo. If you have questions let me know.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:56 PM

4 posts, read 10,143 times
Thanks for your reply! Very informative.
I guess I'll give it another week, and then just consider that particular job posting to have been filled by someone else.

Where you contacted via phone? Did you see any update in your "workbench" after you had been selected for an interview?

Thanks again.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:55 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
IIRC, when my wife conducted interviews for jobs in her division, all the unselected candidates were notified.

But she's been retired for 9 years, so I don't know if that's still the protocol.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTavishes View Post
Thanks for your reply! Very informative.
I guess I'll give it another week, and then just consider that particular job posting to have been filled by someone else. I have applied for a lot of positions and some took 2 days others 10 months to be knocked out. Don't give up and just keep applying.

Where you contacted via phone? Did you see any update in your "workbench" after you had been selected for an interview? I was called with each step and emailed as well. The work bench for the position I hold still shows as being reviewed lol.
Thanks again.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,396 times
Talking Question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitolhilltohillcountry View Post
November 13 2012 Application submitted
December 02 2012 Interview
December 21 2012 Conditional offer of employment and submit background packet by January 2 2012/
February 07 2013 Final offer of employment
February 19 2013 Start Date.

It was a tedious process but well worth it imo. If you have questions let me know.
Did you have to meet with a state trooper? Not sure what position this was for but I applied for the Customer Service Rep II and I just recently submitted my conditional job offer and fingerprints. I was then informed that a trooper would be contacting me. Just wanted to know what I should look forward to! Thanks for your post it was really helpful!

Old 03-06-2013, 08:49 AM

I don't really want to share the position I am in online. I do work for DPS though and yes the Trooper came by my residence and I also met with the trooper at there office. Be honest and open and the the step your in now DQ's a lot of people. If you want you can PM me.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:18 AM

952 posts, read 2,633,987 times
Does anyone here work for Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services (DADS)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin