Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 11:00 AM

198 posts, read 318,619 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Shadowglen since 2007 and can provide my opinion.

Shadowglen itself has experienced a number of roadbumps:

1) The golf course nearly shutdown due to a water dispute with the city in 2012 I believe. It is almost back up to where it used to be.

2) The original Shadowglen builder sold to a California developer in late 2012. All builders have since stopped building in Shadowglen. There are currently no builders developing homes in Shadowglen currently. The new developer has recently stated that they are in talks with several builders and expect to make several changes to how things were originally done with the old developer...not really sure what that means but the community is hopeful. Most of the homeowners were actually happy that the development stopped, when the economy downturn happened, Shadowglen worked with KB homes to build some low quality homes that many people in community were against this as it was lower than the standards the community was originally built upon.

3) A number of homes got foreclosed or abandoned during the downturn dropping the prices in the neighborhood. Some of the neighbors like myself think this was probably a good thing because we had a number of people who were in over their heads with a home and could not maintain it. I had several neighbors who never watered their lawns, took care of their property, or negected pets. One of my former neighbors pitbulls got loose, killed a dog, attacked a neighbor, and the sheriff shot the dog. I'm happy to say most of these neighbors are gone now and the new neighbors who have purchased the foreclosed and abandoned homes are far better homeowners and are actually looking to improve the community.

4) Because we live in one of the nicest neighborhoods in Manor, there are a number of thefts in the area. Most of these thefts occur in the most expensive side of he community like Fieldstone. This is because it's close to the roads. Generally these are car thefts and vandalism. As long as you are not in those areas you should be fine. We live in Meadowglen and have no issues. We also keep the cars in the garage.

5) There is a fight right now regarding construction of a recycling and landfill facility near 290 and SH 130 that Applied Materials, Harris Branch, and Shadowglen are fighting.

Here are the pluses:

1) Shadowglen Elementary school FINALLY got approved and is set to break ground in Q1 of 2014. Manor ISD also got a recognized school for BlueBonnet Elementary which was a first and signs that the schools are getting better.

2) There are a good number of well taken care of homes that are going to market in Shadowglen now that are pretty affordable. Some of these homes are owners are trying to sell above market for them so the neighbors are watching and seeing if they sell. A few of the ones I know about have been improved quite a bit inside and out.

3) The new 290 will be open in 2014 and there is a bunch of development going on

4) The Manor New Tech high is one of the better high schools in Austin now and got major press when President Obama visited the school. However, this school is on a lottery system so I would treat this like trying to get into a charter school

5) The new developer appears promising, they have moved fairly quickly in getting a number of items address like the pool

6) Electricity is cheap compared to other areas because we are part of an electric co-op, BlueBonnet. We typically pay 25% less than your average Austinite due to this. Several companies now are working with Bluebonnet for solar panel rebates which is something that only Austin Electricity offered.

7) There is a medicial facility that is in the planning stages and there is construction for a small shopping area by the golf course. These are being developed by a developer that truly believes in the potential in the area and is looking to expand his development in the area. There was an article in the business journal about him and his plans for the area.

Regarding thoughts on pests and others:

1) I have never encountered a rattlesnake in the community or on any of the walking trails

2) We have more scorpions then usual due to the construction going on with the 290. I've only seen one approach my home pre 2013. In 2013, I have seen 4. We spray every season

3) We rarely see strays in the area now. Back when we first moved it was common and because we have a big front patio our home was a shelter for homeless animals and territory fights between cats.

4) If you are into gardening, we have alkaline soil brown clay soil. Be sure to ammend if your planting anything or raise bed. Roses florish in our soil however and grow like weeds.

My thoughts if I was buyer looking...I would not consider right now unless you find a deal on a home going to market and stay in touch with a neighbor or two in the area. Wait to see what builders contract with the developer of the community and see where it's going. I'm giving the area another 5 years and if nothing promising happens, we will probably just move. I think the school will be very promising since the HOA and owners in the community will be demanding of high quality and will expect it to outperform Presidental Meadows.

Last edited by AustinDude360; 07-09-2013 at 11:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 07:51 PM

25 posts, read 36,265 times
Bumping this thread. It's a few years old but the growth in Austin has exploded since then. Curious how Manor is now. Any residents care to chime in?

Old 04-22-2016, 09:54 PM

535 posts, read 1,296,020 times
Well, I don't actually live in Manor, but I have lived just south of it in county for the past 10 years. If I need groceries or some fast food, that's where I go. It's not the fanciest area of Austin, but it's certainly not as bad as the stigma that it has been blessed with, especially on this forum. With the Austin area growing so rapidly, the Manor area has been growing and changing to accommodate a different 'breed' of people therefore changing the personality of the city area.

Old 04-23-2016, 04:26 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,412,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigRig View Post
Bumping this thread. It's a few years old but the growth in Austin has exploded since then. Curious how Manor is now. Any residents care to chime in?
I was looking at buying in the area and it still hasn't gained much traction in growth. Home prices are still cheap for the proximity to downtown. There is a new Walmart out there and a couple of fast food restaurants, but you will have to drive into Austin to shop and dine. There are several new nice neighborhoods there, but a lot of the city feels run down and old.

My Fiance' had a teacher's orientation at their school district and was shocked at how bad Manor ISD is. The district is poorly rated, has low grades and has had bad publicity in the news recently:

Police launch investigation into Manor ISD fund mismanagement | KXAN.com

Manor ISD holds town hall meeting following audit | KXAN.comManor ISD holds town hall meeting following audit | KXAN.com

Manor ISD superintendent resigns, addresses his absence | KXAN.com

We quickly crossed Manor off of our list and settled for Kyle. It is unfortunate because it is within a close proximity to downtown and is in a convenient location. I also believe that one day it can and will become a desirable area. However, for the short-term foreseeable future, it just isn't a very good option in the metro area.

I would recommend the Buda/Kyle area, Pflugerville, Leander, Cedar Park, or Round Rock.

Last edited by gabetx; 04-23-2016 at 04:35 AM..

Old 04-24-2016, 12:18 AM

25 posts, read 36,265 times
Bump

Old 04-24-2016, 02:58 AM

847 posts, read 767,065 times
I just do not see the strategic value that Manor brings to the table!

it is not close enough to airport.

it is not that close to the River!

It is on a east -west road. but still takes a long time to get to central austin from there.

From a North south perspective is both far from say Dell and downtown.

It seems to me that I would pick living in Water Park over living manor as a bet.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:15 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,981,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsami View Post

it is not close enough to airport.
20 minutes to bergstrom now (8:14 AM). And that's before they finish toll 71.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsami View Post
It is on a east -west road. but still takes a long time to get to central austin from there.
22 minutes to UT now (8:14 AM).

Old 04-25-2016, 09:08 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
20 minutes to bergstrom now (8:14 AM). And that's before they finish toll 71.

22 minutes to UT now (8:14 AM).

Says who? And what part of UT? I'm pretty sure you could kill 22 minutes on that stretch just sitting at lights on either end. Heck, it shows FIFTEEN minutes now, including the two miles on IH35...yeah, I'll take THAT bet!!!

Oh, wait...never mind! I'll never have to make that drive. I'm surprised people aren't FLOCKING to Manor with those kinds of travel times!!!

Old 04-25-2016, 09:36 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,981,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Says who? And what part of UT? I'm pretty sure you could kill 22 minutes on that stretch just sitting at lights on either end. Heck, it shows FIFTEEN minutes now, including the two miles on IH35...yeah, I'll take THAT bet!!!

Oh, wait...never mind! I'll never have to make that drive. I'm surprised people aren't FLOCKING to Manor with those kinds of travel times!!!
Google. You know, based on actual data rather than wild personal anecdotes.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:16 PM

535 posts, read 1,296,020 times
That's one of the perks I find of living in the Manor area, is the easy accessibility to most areas of Austin in a minimum amount of time even in the worst traffic.

People will have all sorts of random data to combat it, but unless you actually live there and have experienced it, you really don't know anything based on actual experience, which makes it just an opinion that's null and void.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin