Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 04:47 PM

629 posts, read 1,653,777 times

Advertisements

Is this allowed??!?!

I've seen 2 people doing this so far in the Bull Creek low water crossing next to 360 (see aerial map here). I would think it'd be illegal due to all the oil/grease and other contaminants that would flow directly into the creek without any sort of treatment. And even if it is illegal or against City code, this latest person I saw washing their Buick in the low water crossing was doing so in plain view of two Austin PD officers, so I guess they couldn't care less.

It just concerns me, and it's kind of annoying since I use that crossing to get home during heavy 360 traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 09:26 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
I have to agree, if it is not illegal, it should be. Legal car washes have grease traps specifically there to capture all the poisonous crap that washes off of our cars.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:31 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
What a bunch of disgusting slobs! They should post a sign leading them to the nearest car wash, or post a volunteer there to charge them for what they're doing.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:13 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Seems everyones cell phone these days has a camera.

Why didn't you get a few pictures and send them to the police?

Old 10-17-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Seems everyones cell phone these days has a camera.

Why didn't you get a few pictures and send them to the police?
Because the police were right there. Two cops, actually. Sitting in their cars chatting with each other, in plain view of this guy washing his Buick in Bull Creek.

Next time I'll complain to the cops directly, just so they know there are citizens bothered by activity, which is no doubt sending oil and grease directly into the creek.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:20 PM

786 posts, read 2,762,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesonofgray View Post
Because the police were right there. Two cops, actually. Sitting in their cars chatting with each other, in plain view of this guy washing his Buick in Bull Creek.

Next time I'll complain to the cops directly, just so they know there are citizens bothered by activity, which is no doubt sending oil and grease directly into the creek.
Take the pictures and send them into the media. The media is always willing to step in when the cops won't.

I cannot see how this is not illegal. Even if he/she is not breaking environmental laws, from the way you describe it, they are blocking the road.

Contact on of the local environmental groups such as Save Our Springs. They would probably know how to handle this.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:07 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
It must not be illegal if there were officers of the law witnessing this act.

Seriously.

Is it any different than the rain run off from the roads, that are directed into Bull Creek on purpose?

I'm not justifying it. I'm just asking a question.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It must not be illegal if there were officers of the law witnessing this act.

Seriously.

Is it any different than the rain run off from the roads, that are directed into Bull Creek on purpose?

I'm not justifying it. I'm just asking a question.
Well that is very true. Stormwater often washes oil and grease residue from the roads into the creeks and other waterways.

But on the flip side, commercial car washes and other developments dealing with vehicles maintenance are often required to have an oil/water separator, which helps lower the amount of pollutants in our stormwater.

Washing your car directly in the creek just seems so...intentionally polluting, rather than a byproduct of other activities. ...if that makes any sense.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:01 PM

535 posts, read 1,296,020 times
I see people letting their dogs poop in Bull Creek too, which is just as gross and contaminating to me. Not many folks around here seem to have to much respect for the beautiful creeks and river around here...

Old 10-17-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luksky View Post
I see people letting their dogs poop in Bull Creek too, which is just as gross and contaminating to me. Not many folks around here seem to have to much respect for the beautiful creeks and river around here...
Well at least fecal matter from an animal is more natural than oil and grease being washed off a car. But I agree that letting dogs poop in the water is probably wacking out the typical bioload/bacteria makeup of Bull Creek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: