Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 09:41 AM

6 posts, read 15,729 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I know that there are a lot of posts on here about where young professionals should live, but I have a little bit more specific of a question and I am hoping that someone on here may have some suggestions for me.

I am a recent college grad moving from MI to Austin in the early spring. I'll be working in Round Rock but really want to take advantage of more of an urban lifestyle (altho I know its more expensive). I have a few friends from college who live in S. Austin and love it- but I've heard the traffic around UT is terrible for commuting and don't want to spend an hour each way to and from work. So far I've been told to try and stay north of Campus and West of I-35 so can anyone give me names of apartments they would recommend that are north of campus but as close to a central location as possible? Hopefully something w/ other young professionals but I'm young myself so if there are college kids around, as long as its not a 24/7 party, I'm ok with it. I'd just like something that doesn't have a crazy commute but is close enough for me to go out downtown on the weekends.

I'd like a 1-2 bedroom less than $1,000. I know some posts on here have said they want to avoid the mega-complex type places, but to be honest I'm open to them. I'd rather have a new place in a larger complex than something too outdated, but would look at small places as well.

I'll be traveling to Austin sometime in Feb. for a few days to look at places before moving so if anyone coudl give me actual names of complexes they recommend or a broker they have worked with (I hate signing up for the apt. searchers and getting tons of e-mails!!) I would really really appreciate it!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 11:59 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,058,250 times
Are you hours flexible? Are you an early riser? My husband works north off of 183 and we live SW. If he leaves before 7:15 his commute goes from almost an hour to about 25 minutes. If you leave early enough, you might be able to avoid rush hour.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:12 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
There are several apartments/condos just north of campus - young professionals, grad students, and the occasional professor tend to live in those neighborhoods. West of I35 from 32nd Street north up through Hyde Park (51st at the top end of that), over to Mopac. There are several smaller apartment buildings in that area.

I'm not sure what the rents are there, might be out of your range, but you also might check out The Triangle. Sounds like it would fit your needs pretty well, is not too far from campus, and it would be a relatively easy commute, against traffic, if you take Lamar up to Round Rock.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:54 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,734,735 times
Maybe the Domain or Mueller. Mixed-used planned developments that are walkable and should attract a younger crowd, though for the latter it might be mostly married folks.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:41 PM

122 posts, read 360,322 times
mueller is great for working north.... will take like 30 min to RR but there is NO traffic! everthing is going opposite!

Old 12-29-2009, 08:22 PM

6 posts, read 15,729 times
Are you guys talking about the Mosaic at Mueller? It looks very nice from what I can find online but maybe a little out of my price range. I can't seem to find many reviews since it is so new- anybody know anyone that lives there? I haven't heard great things about living east of I-35 but this is so close that it shouldn't matter much right? I know that I can drive around the neighborhood when I get there but sometimes things are better/worse than what meets the eye- but thanks for all of the inside scoop!

Old 12-29-2009, 08:28 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
30 minutes to Round Rock? I don't think so, unless you were going to Round Rock from Mueller at rush hour (which, if you worked in Round Rock, you most likely wouldn't be).

It takes 30 minutes to get to Georgetown from Mueller area, if that. 20 minutes from Mueller to I35/79.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:10 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,035,862 times
Hyde Park, and the immediate Guadalupe/Lamar area around UT, have very little parking, and most apt complexes parcel out the little there is very frugally. You might find apartments there, if you can find them, a little on the high side, compared to the units available in the larger mega-complexes just north of there, that bleed into northwest Austin, say from 55th north.....

Old 12-30-2009, 05:21 AM

629 posts, read 1,653,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I'm not sure what the rents are there, might be out of your range, but you also might check out The Triangle. Sounds like it would fit your needs pretty well, is not too far from campus, and it would be a relatively easy commute, against traffic, if you take Lamar up to Round Rock.
I've heard terrible things about The Triangle, or have they cleaned up their act in the past year?

The North Campus and Mueller area would still require you to deal with quite a bit of I-35 traffic. There are a lot of nice apartments in the Arboretum area, which has easy access to downtown and the amenities of west Austin, and getting to Round Rock via Mopac/45 is REALLY easy and quick, as long as you don't mind paying tolls. I know quite a few people who do that commute, except in the opposite direction.

The area I'm talking about is around the intersection of Mopac and 183. North on Mopac you'll find the Domain and the National Instruments HQ. NW on 183 you'll find the Arboretum and the surrounding retail and restaurants and a lot of apartments...further NW there's a mall.

Anyways, go get a TxTag, test the commute, and explore the area. Good luck!

Old 12-30-2009, 07:14 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mill1469 View Post
Are you guys talking about the Mosaic at Mueller? It looks very nice from what I can find online but maybe a little out of my price range. I can't seem to find many reviews since it is so new- anybody know anyone that lives there? I haven't heard great things about living east of I-35 but this is so close that it shouldn't matter much right? I know that I can drive around the neighborhood when I get there but sometimes things are better/worse than what meets the eye- but thanks for all of the inside scoop!
Not all areas east of I-35 are bad. I live in the French Place neighborhood (bounded on west by I-35, on east by Cherrywood Ave, on north by E 38th 1/2 St, on south by Manor Rd), which is a really nice neighborhood that's a 5 minute drive from downtown. I knew a guy who lived in my neighborhood who commuted to Dell in Round Rock, and he told me it took him 20 minutes to get to Dell because there was no traffic going his direction.

FYI, the really nice 1-bedroom garage apartment I'm living in will be available for rent on 02/01/10 (I just bought a house in Central Austin, so I'm moving out). Send me a private message, and I can give you the scoop about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin