Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2010, 02:08 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
San Antonio is building parks, greenways left and right, I wouldn't doubt it if San Antonio has surpassed Austin in outdoor activity options. San Antonio is working hard on sheding that unhealthy image, of being a fat city. Dallas and Houston are considered fatter cities according to those fitness magazines. The city is about to ban regular soda and only allow diet and natural drinks in city employee vending machines. I see fitness centers all over the place and they are always packed. So the city is attacking the problem at all levels.
I work at USAA, there are three full fitness centers on campus the size of a Golds Gym each, the company is very big on offering healthy eating, and healthy lifestyle for their employees. The health foods at the many food courts offer these foods at half price. So i'm sure many San Antonio companies offer the same things.

The other day myself and a couple friends of mine did a fat people poll at a mall, and there happened to be more slim people than overweight. Not saying there isn't fat people but i'ts not like you drive into San Antonio and automatically see obese people everywhere, you probably would not be able to see the difference between Austin or San Antonio by just looking into the crowds.
Im glad that SA is dealing with its unfit image and attacking the problem and making improvements. It would be nice if the city would get rid of smoking in the restaurants also, or maybe they have by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 04:12 PM

810 posts, read 1,425,693 times
I just saw three very large individuals together at Starbucks earlier today in San Antonio.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:13 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,112,570 times
LOL, where you looking in the mirror?

Old 05-16-2010, 04:16 PM

Big people are people too!! Be nice, and , I shouldn't label them as fat either, just Bigger.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:03 PM

810 posts, read 1,425,693 times
Quote:
LOL, where you looking in the mirror?
You must be speaking for yourself. I wish I was large so I fit in with SA. LOL.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:43 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Oh please. How can you be skinny in a city that serves cheese enchiladas and guacamole 24/7!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
You must be speaking for yourself. I wish I was large so I fit in with SA. LOL.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Oh please. How can you be skinny in a city that serves cheese enchiladas and guacamole 24/7!

I'm sure Austin has it as well, Last time I was in Austin it took me an hour to find a Chinese place to eat, finally found a decent place. They are on every corner in San Antonio. I saw the same amount of fast food, no lesser amount than San Antonio.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:19 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Next time you're in Austin, head north to Asia Cafe at 183 and Anderson Mill.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:20 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,618,395 times
Yes, Asia Cafe, that one is very authentic.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:41 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,510 times
I dont know where you come up with this information of which cities are FAT and which are skinny. It is pretty much ALL CRAP. There are fat people in every city and skinny people in every city. The percentage of fat people in Austin is no different than any other part of the country. I just would love to know how these people determine which are FAT cities and which are SKINNY cities.

If ANYTHING, i would have to say that people tend to exercise more in places like California and Colorado--places that have great climates and the average person can be outside most of the year.

Quote:
San Antonio is building parks, greenways left and right, I wouldn't doubt it if San Antonio has surpassed Austin in outdoor activity options. San Antonio is working hard on sheding that unhealthy image, of being a fat city. Dallas and Houston are considered fatter cities according to those fitness magazines. The city is about to ban regular soda and only allow diet and natural drinks in city employee vending machines. I see fitness centers all over the place and they are always packed. So the city is attacking the problem at all levels.
I work at USAA, there are three full fitness centers on campus the size of a Golds Gym each, the company is very big on offering healthy eating, and healthy lifestyle for their employees. The health foods at the many food courts offer these foods at half price. So i'm sure many San Antonio companies offer the same things.

The other day myself and a couple friends of mine did a fat people poll at a mall, and there happened to be more slim people than overweight. Not saying there isn't fat people but i'ts not like you drive into San Antonio and automatically see obese people everywhere, you probably would not be able to see the difference between Austin or San Antonio by just looking into the crowds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin